SASS Wire Forum

Rossi 92 repair

I have a SS Rossi R92 in 45 Colt. During the last stage of shooting,the gun jammed, and I discovered the left side cartridge guide screw fell out. I called Braztech and they are sending a replacement screw. I was looking at the exploded view and it appears the fix will be more complicated than just putting the screw in the hole, appears there is a cartridge stop spring that goes behind the screw.

I am looking for advice on how to fix. Is this a DIY project or will it need a gunsmith/ Recommendations? Thanks for your help.

Trapper 90804

Best guy to ask is Steve Young a/k/a Nate Kiowa Jones, but he's probably not available at the moment as he's undergoing some treatments over in Houston. He might respond to email though.

Steve's Gunz

409-984-5473

steve@stevesgunz.com

Chick

I have a SS Rossi R92 in 45 Colt. During the last stage of shooting,the gun jammed, and I discovered the left side cartridge guide screw fell out. I called Braztech and they are sending a replacement screw. I was looking at the exploded view and it appears the fix will be more complicated than just putting the screw in the hole, appears there is a cartridge stop spring that goes behind the screw.

I am looking for advice on how to fix. Is this a DIY project or will it need a gunsmith/ Recommendations? Thanks for your help.

Trapper 90804

It's fairly simple: The spring has a hole in it, the same screw that holds the left cart guide, goes through the spring.

Use a small awl to align the parts, by lightly pushing through hole. Reach inside and hold guide in place, start screw.

Check cartridge stop for spring action.when you push it in it should spring back out!!

Snug screw.

The only thing you can do wrong is place spring in backwards, which is easy to see.

Or the cartridge stop joint pin can get off center and not allow the guide to seat properly.

Takes a lot longer to write it than it does to do it!!

Hope this helps.

BH ;)

"The only thing you can do wrong is place spring in backwards."

HA!

But it ain't all that complicated. Be sure the spring goes into the little slot in the cartridge stop. I took my '92 apart and put the spring in the same as it came out, but missed puttin' it into the litlle slot in the cartridge stop. The cartridge stop kinda flopped around and every few rounds I'd get a double feed. Spent a few matches dealing with this - was ready to throw her over the berm! A quick eMail to NKJ and he made the suggestion to check. Lo and behold! Fixed quickly and she's been runnin' like a champ ever since! (Thanks agin', Nate!)

The '92 ain't hard to work on. It's a do-it-yerselfer. I'd suggest buyin' the NKJ video all the same.

ol' poke

Add new item to pre-match checklist:

Check all screws on ALL guns for tightness... seen, heard and read of too many cowboys having a good day turn to stuff because of the failure to check for a loose screw... Not fun.

Add new item to pre-match checklist:

Check all screws on ALL guns for tightness... seen, heard and read of too many cowboys having a good day turn to stuff because of the failure to check for a loose screw... Not fun.

You got it right there Griff....

I've shot a yellowboy for 6 years.. never had to worry about screws loosening..

My wife wanted a Marlin.. got her one.. and now I check the screws for tightness before the match and during... or I'll get in trouble when it doesn't lever right :blush:

Rance <_<

"The only thing you can do wrong is place spring in backwards."

HA!

But it ain't all that complicated. Be sure the spring goes into the little slot in the cartridge stop. I took my '92 apart and put the spring in the same as it came out, but missed puttin' it into the litlle slot in the cartridge stop. The cartridge stop kinda flopped around and every few rounds I'd get a double feed. Spent a few matches dealing with this - was ready to throw her over the berm! A quick eMail to NKJ and he made the suggestion to check. Lo and behold! Fixed quickly and she's been runnin' like a champ ever since! (Thanks agin', Nate!)

The '92 ain't hard to work on. It's a do-it-yerselfer. I'd suggest buyin' the NKJ video all the same.

ol' poke

Thanks for the lead on the video, I ordered it today.

It's fairly simple: The spring has a hole in it, the same screw that holds the left cart guide, goes through the spring.

Use a small awl to align the parts, by lightly pushing through hole. Reach inside and hold guide in place, start screw.

Check cartridge stop for spring action.when you push it in it should spring back out!!

Snug screw.

The only thing you can do wrong is place spring in backwards, which is easy to see.

Or the cartridge stop joint pin can get off center and not allow the guide to seat properly.

Takes a lot longer to write it than it does to do it!!

Hope this helps.

BH ;)

Thanks, Pard for the explanation. I am going to give it a try, may be yellen fer help later.

Archived