SASS Wire Forum

41 Years Ago

8 June 1970, I got off the bus at MCRD Parris Island and placed my feet on the yellow footprints....

That was the ady that I realized that my Dad wasn't the dummy that all snot nosed kids think their Dad's are. I got a rude awakening as to how life really is. I was called a grabasstic piece of amphibious dogshit, which took me 3 days to realize what my D.I. called me...

GySgt. Richard Donald (I eventually ran into him in 1978 when he was SgtMaj....) This man literally beat the cockiness out of me and made me a Marine. Thank you SgtMaj.... You are now guarding the gates of heaven and ensuring that slackers square away before entering.

This was a decision that I have never redretted in my life. In fact, I look upon it as one of the few shining times of my life. The Corps gave me 28 years of paychecks but a lifetime of pride...

Semper Fi!

The military is one of our greatest assets in this country.

It offers young people a chance to see life as it really is. If we could just keep the politics out of it, it would be even better. But alas, I guess that will not happen.

I too will never forget SFC Evans, SSgt. Buxton, SSgt. Howard and SSgt. Ivery.

And of course the top kick, MSG Willingham.

Thank you for you service Sergeant. :FlagAm:

Compared to where I was on June 8 '70, Parris Island probably would have been pretty sweet. ;)

What is it you guys say? Semper Pi. :lol:

On June 8th 1970 I was walking down the steps off of a big 'ol bird that had just landed in DaNang RVN.

It was about 114 degrees and our shirts were soaking wet by the time we walked off the tarmac into the

terminal. Oh what fun awaited us for the next year. Looking for a guy named "Charlie" Just sayin'

Big Jake

PS Thanks for your service Sgt.

Archived