SASS Wire Forum

Final Roll Call Officer Jeff Taylor

Smoken D

Master Patrolman Jefferson Taylor

Jeff Taylor, 31, of Kansas City, Mo., died as a result of injuries sustained while assisting in the rescue efforts in Joplin, Mo.

Born March 7, 1980, in Cameron, Mo., to Patricia (Steelman) Bestgen and Steve Taylor. Jeff graduated from Harrisonville High School in 1998 and attended Missouri Southern State University, receiving his POST Certificate in 2001. He began his law enforcement career in Webb City, then served on Platte County Sheriff Department, before his current post with Riverside Department of Public Safety where he held the positions of Firefighter, SWAT, Master Patrol Officer, K9 Officer, and Field Training Officer. Jeff was nominated and awarded Officer of the Year from Riverside DPS in 2008.

On August 7, 1999, Jeff married his college sweetheart Kelly Hawkins in St. James, Mo. Jeff loved to golf, coached his sons soccer team, played softball with his friends from Riverside DPS, and always put his family first.

Jeff was preceded in death by his sister, Jodi Lynn Gitthens; a niece, Trinty Faith Roberts; and a grandfather, Jefferson Steelman. Survivors include his wife, Kelly and sons, Caden and Cameron of KCMO; parents, Steve and Rose Taylor of New Bloomfield, Mo.; mother, Patricia Bestgen of Osborn, Mo.; sister, Staci Roberts, of Overland Park, Kan.; two brothers, Zach and Nick Bestgen of Osborn; grandparents, Gerald and Phyllis Taylor of Cameron, Ernest and Phyllis Denny of Maysville, Mo., Betty Jean Jacobsen of Roeland Park, Kan.; as well as many aunts, uncles, nieces, nephews and cousins.

A Celebration of Life service is set for 11 a.m. Wednesday, June 8, at Pleasant Valley Baptist Church, 1600 North 291 Hwy., Liberty, MO 64068. A visitation will be from 9 to 11 a.m. Wednesday, at the church. Burial in Graceland Memorial Cemetery Cameron. Full police and fire honors will be given. Jeff continues to help others through his gift of organ donation.

Memorials are suggested to the Taylor Benefit Account K.C. Police Credit Union 2800 East 14th Street Kansas City, MO 64127.

Fond memories and condolences for the family may be left at www.dwnewcomers.com

Arr.: D.W. Newcomer's Sons Floral Hills Chapel, (816) 353-1218. D.W. Newcomer's Sons Funeral Homes, Cemeteries, Crematories.

My heartfelt condolences to his family and brother officers.

The passing of any officer hurts as much as one losing a family member as we are all brothers in that thin blue line. My prayers are with his family and fellow officers who will miss him every day. He was way too young to be called home.

Mighty young for God to be calling in this lawman... He must have good plans for him..

Taken from his family while helpling out others.. as most lawmen do..

God bless his family and friends..

He's in God's hands now..

Rance n' Lacey

Prayers up

My Dad has finally retired as an LEO, but he and my 4 brothers have answered the call. We weep for a brother LEO and his family. Folks just don't understand how hard it is for the family to kiss or hug an LEO goodbye and wonder if it is the last time. Each and every day. Same with military, and (ain't I lucky) half of them are reservists as well (bro and neph are in Iraq right now). This was a freak accident, but it took a good man who put himself out there to help those in need away from his loving family! I will pray for them and will add my small token to their fund!

V

Archived