SASS Wire Forum

Summer's almost here - Time to plan for winter~!

Still smarting from the expense of last winter's propane bills - that stuff ain't cheap!

So, since the new digs will also be propane heated, I'm ponderin' a stove for either primary or at least supplemental warming. Hmmm.... log burner or pellet stove?? Either way I'll be buying the fuel - not enough space for a woodlot.

And yeah, I know aalllll about cutting and splitting firewood warmin' ya twice~! ^_^

We lived in Oregon some years back and many of our neighbors used pellet stoves that produced terrific heat but they were dependent on the pellets. The stoves could not accept fuel in any other form.

Wood stoves can be very efficient as well; I had a heatalator style FP when we lived in NC. I used both logs and pallets for fuel.

My point is that wood stoves can use anything, even pellets. But the pellet stoves are largely limited to pellets and if you can't find them or they become very expensive you are SOL (so outta luck!!).

That's my opinion and I could be wrong. Of course I now live in Florida in a house WITH a fireplace.

DD

Uh... Doc, was that pallets or pellets you used in your woodstove...? :huh:

Hmmm... seems like burning pellets in a woodstove would be as challenging as barbecuing beans - they'd be slippin' through the grate~! ^_^

In our neck of the woods, we can almost bank on being without power a few times each winter, sometimes for three, four, or even five days at a time. The folks with woodstoves do all right. The stove keeps the house nice and toasty even on the coldest of days. The folks with pellet stoves, on the other hand, are out of luck because pellet stoves need electricity in order to run the fan and also the auto-feeder tube. You just can't dump a load of pellets into the pellet stove and expect it to burn. You have to have the fan going in order to keep the stuff burning.

In many of the outlying areas around here, the stove shops tell the folks to go with the wood-burning stove and not the pellet stove. Oh....another side barb...a woodstove will take the chill off the room almost immediately. With a pellet stove, it takes awhile longer.

Archived