SASS Wire Forum

Rossi Interarms 92 rifles

Pawnee Drifter

Has anyone had experiences with the Rossi Interarms 92 38/357 rifles as far as reliably feeding, firing and ejecting 38 specials? Are they better or worse than the newer 92 copies? Comments or experiences both positive and negative would be appreciated. Thanks.

Has anyone had experiences with the Rossi Interarms 92 38/357 rifles as far as reliably feeding, firing and ejecting 38 specials? Are they better or worse than the newer 92 copies? Comments or experiences both positive and negative would be appreciated. Thanks.

Mine does....mine feeds them better than .357

My much better half Quicksdraw, has been crankin on one for 12 years or so.

Shes had a back up for 8 years and it has about 4 shoots on it and I think 2 of um are mine.

1.5 inches + or - seems to work best, we use 1.55 oal.With 124gr TC bullets.

Handy little rifle!!

BH

Here's some Rossi history. For years dating back to the 70's the Rossi 92 made in Brazil was imported by InterArms of Alexandria VA. InterArms was the first to market the Rossi made 92 as the Puma. Somewhere in the late 90's the owner of InterArms passed away. It is my understanding the heirs didn't care to continue with the operation of InterArms so the stock on hand was sold off at a reduced price. (I bought new Rossi 92's at that time for $190). About that same time period, Rossi sold off their gallery gun, the pump 62 and the revolvers to Taurus, so some folks thought there would be no more Rossi 92's available. I can't tell you how many people ask me what I was going to do now.

About the time this was all coming down, Navy Arms had started importing the Rossi 92's. Then not long after, the ex-employee's of InterArms started up Legacy Sports International (LSI) and began importing the Rossi 92. They were even in the same building as the old InterArms company and were using the Puma name as the model name. Then and I don't remember exactly, LSI moved to Reno NV.

During this period, late 90’s, EMF was importing the Armi San Marco Italian made 92's, (ASM's) and had contacted me to do warranty work on those for them. But ASM's QC went down so EMF ask me to help them decide how they should order some 92's from Rossi. EMF has been importing the Rossi 92's since about 2000.

About 2009 Taurus acquired Rossi and the 92's and have taken over the distribution under the Braztech name. Both EMF and LSI no longer import the Rossi once the Taurus buyout took place. LSI now carries the Armi Sport/Chiappa 92 but it's still called the Puma Model.

About 2000 Rossi totally re-tooled to modern machinery. So, the current Rossi's are much better than the older InterArmsd gun as to fit and finish. Basically the parts were made close but then heavily oversprung to make them Work. The current guns are better fit with generally lighter springs.

As for ammo, keep in mind the original 92's were designed to work with ammo in the 1.5" to 1.6" OAL. The most common problem with the shorter 38's is the gun will throw out live rounds with the empty's. This is because the shorter 38 coming on to the carrier from the tube can bounce forward enough that the rim is too close to the rim slots in the guides and when you lever it fast the carrier just catapults them out with the empty.

There are so many different brands and shapes and OAL`s of 38`s and 357m’s out there it’s impossible for one gun to cover them all. All our leverguns are length and bullet shape sensitive to some degree. Like semi-auto handguns, they can be picky about what they will run and the faster we try to go with them the more these problems tend to show up. Generally, they don’t work well with really long 357’s or really short 38’s. Bullet shape can have a bearing too. They don’t work well with semi-wad cutters or any bullet that has an exposed driving band to hang up on.

For years I directed my rifle customer to "T" ammo for his 1.5" cowboy 38's. But, Roy retired so I was recommending Ammo Direct.

Well, they are out of business at least temporarily. Here is the new source.

highcountryammunition.comThey are the manufacturer but, the Cowboy ready ammo isn’t listed on the site, yet. You will need to contact Wolf Wind-walker. email is Sttarrwolf@aol.com Ph# is 435-669-3221

Steve, good to see they didn't run you off and thanks from all of us for the history and the tutorial.

I have an old Interarms 44Mag with the cresote wood and a brass frame 20" octagon EMF Rossi with the nice walnut stocks. Both carry the NKJ stamp on the lower tang.

I would stake my life on either. They are reliable and smooth.

Always on the look-out for a 357 carbine or short octagon rifle worth the money. Pre-stupid bolt top safety of course.

Nate, thanks for the info. I've printed several of your posts for my "92 file".

Drifter, I just use .38's to 1.5 OAL RNFP for my 92. I don't stuff them in all the way and they work fine. Heck, I don't even do a crimp - the bullets in there so tight that it's not moving anywhere. I should know after all the primers that flipped upside down on me while reloading and I've had to use a bullet puller on them.

Enjoy the 92, it's a fun gun.

jb

I had a Browning B92 .357 a few years ago, but it choked every single time on .38 spls, so I sold it and bought two pre-safety Rossi .357 SRC's instead. Both have shot 125 grain .38 spls for several years now without a hitch. And yes, Pawnee Drifter, they hold ten .38's just fine.

Will the carbines hold 10 rounds in the magazine? Did you have to send them off to have someone slick them up or are they shootable as they are?

If it's a 20" carbine it will hold 11. If the gun is an InterArms imported Rossi you will definately want the action smoothed up. Some folks will tell you the newer post 2000 guns are fine out of the box but that has not been my experience. Maybe they have nothing to comapre it to.

I would add, expecting to be competitive with an out-of-the-box stock gun is not likely to happen. I've said this many times. You can take the family sedan to the track once or twice and run hell out of it, but if you do it on a regular basis, you gonna look up and see you crankshaft in the rear-view mirror. Race cars have to be tuned to race, so do guns that are raced.

Will the carbines hold 10 rounds in the magazine? Did you have to send them off to have someone slick them up or are they shootable as they are?

Got my 92 from NKJ about a year and a half ago. Runs like a champion with 38's (loaded to 1.50 COL or even a little longer). I generally use 128gn LRNFP from Sundance Bullets, but it also likes 158gn LRNFP from Missouri Bullets.

Check with Springfield Slim at Whyte's leather on the wire. He sells a 38 bullet called the snakebite that works great in all 92's

I have had my Rossi 92 since the late 80's and many a round of .38 fired thru it with no problems. My wife started to use it about two yrs ago and it started to kick out live rounds. Went to Marauders and found that the cartridge guide needed adjustment.

What I had to do then is to shim the right cartridge guide using shim stock. I used some from old feeler gauge I had in my tool box. Since I have done this I have no more problems.

Just recently had a Huge Expo event at Ben Avery in Phoenix, Az and our club A.C.S.A used firearms of various cowboy calibers and my Rossi fired up I guess around 500 rounds with no problems.

Hope this helps you in your decision making. I also have a 44 magnum rossi 92 and no problems with that one either. They are old type that have the Puma head on left side by saddle rings.

Note: Mostly fired was .38special .125gr, 1.50oal. Have used .357 though and had no problems with them its just that .38's are easier to get hold of. Cut tube spring to accept 10-rds only 16" barrel on .38, .44mag is 20".. Once again hope this helps. One more note: I use Moulton Lead .125grsTC bullets and they are great folks to deal with.

Archived