SASS Wire Forum

Very old Marlin vs newer Marlin

Yes. I love my 1894 38 WCF made circa 1899!

Howdy,

Just curious can an older marlin say made around 1900, can it be made to run like a newer marlin?

KK

My 1894 was born 1897...44-40 will run!!

26 inch heavy barrel Take down extra large forearm, shes kinda big.

Ain't gonna miss-treat her!!

And I sure as Heck ain't gonna cut her down.

BH :wub:

The biggest difference that I can see between my hundred year old .38-40 SRC and a newer model is leaf main spring vs. coil main spring.

Howdy

My 44-40 Marlin was made in 1895. When I got it, the hook on the lever that pulls down the block was so worn that it would not unlock bolt reliably. The smith who fixed it said it looked like everybody including the village blackwmith had been inside it over the last 100 years. There was even some bronze brazed onto the steel as a repair, but it had worn away too. He welded a little bit of steel on it and reshaped it to make it work again.

Yup, leaf main spring instead of a coil spring. Also, it does not have the lever safety present on most modern Marlins. Just the split firing pin, which I have elected to leave alone. Happy Trails worked it over for me a few years ago. He smoothed up the action a bit. I told him I didn't want the main spring ground down, so it is definitely not a race gun. But it is smoother than when I got it. I also had Hap install a strain screw for the main spring, so I can adjust the tension.

Frankly, if they are in good shape, any of these old rifles can be slicked up by a competent smith so they can run with the rest of the pack. But seeing as the steel is so old in mine, I stay away from really hot loads. I only shoot cowboy Smokeless loads in it, or Black Powder.

Archived