SASS Wire Forum

Question for Ammunition Collectors

Black Angus McPherson

I was recently (today) given several old boxes of 16 ga. shotgun shells. I don't have a 16 ga. (and I'm not sure how reliable these old shells would be) and before I cut them up to salvage the shot I thought I'd check to see if they have any collector value. I'm not as interested in making money off them as I am in seeing someone interested in collecting them being able to enjoy them.

Unfortunately I don't have a camera at the moment to take pictures of the shells and boxes.

What I have is:

"Western Super X" in a yellow and blue box.

"Remington Express Extra Long Range Kleanbore" with "New Remington Crimp" in a Red and Green box. I also have a box of "Magnum" in the same type red and green box.

"Peters High Velocity Rustless" in Yellow and Blue box w/Duck.

I'm hoping a collector might recognize the (poor) description and have an idea what I have.

At a guess, I'd say they are from the 1950's. All are paper hulls with either shot cards over the top or have paper tags listing the load info. (i.e. "1 oz. #6 3 dram") Most of the boxes are full or are only missing a few rounds.

So, do I just cut up the shells and save the boxes or would someone out there really be interested in buying them? I know I've seen similar shells for sale at gun shows for $1 - $2 each, but I don't think I've ever seen anyone actually buy any of them.

If you think it's worth investigating further I can try to borrow a camera for pictures.

Thanks,

Black Angus McPherson

p.s. If they are worth selling do you have any idea what they might be worth? (Please don't answer "Whatever you can get someone to pay" That's not very helpful.) I'll admit they are not in pristine shape. They look like they've been sitting in someone's basement for the last 20 years.

Are the boxes complete? I would hate to see them cut up, they don't make it anymore (yeah, yeah). Got a local gunshop you might be able to trade them for, say, cleaning supplies? I used to collect such, mostly the old two piece boxes unopened and those do sound like 50's maybe 60's boxes. $15 each, if complete, in trade?

"Are the boxes complete?"

Yes. I'm just talking about cardboard boxes, not wooden crates. One of them has sort of come apart/unglued. The tab that is glued to change it from a flat cutout to a box came loose, but the "parts" are all still there. Or do you mean "complete with ammo"? Most of them are full.

I wasn't going to cut up the boxes, just the shells in them.

They don't have a seperate top or bottom piece. Just a folding tab similar to modern shotgun shell boxes.

Jack, If you could send me some contact info for the gunshop you mentioned I would appreciate it.

Otherwise I'll just cut up the shells for the shot when I've got some time and stick the empty boxes on my wall.

Thanks,

Angus

Yeah, by complete I meant all appropriate shells in a box that has all its parts reasonably intact. Condition is everything, if all the shells are not there, cut up the rest for that box if you want to. By gunshop I mean one in your area that might like to trade so they can display them.

Archived