SASS Wire Forum

44-40 Loads

I know, I know their are better powders than Unique for 44-40. Just happens I have a whole bunch of Unique that I got cheap. Just wondering about load info with Unique powder and a 205 grain slug.

If you would be so kind as to email me your info it would be greatly appreciated. Email to

buckhorn AT gmtel Dot net

Thanks Marlin

Yep, I'd think Unique would be just the ticket, ifn I ever wanted to shoot that heathen smokeless in that grand old cartridge. Look in any reputable loading manual for something that makes 1000 FPS in the rifle. A pussycat load.

GJ

When I used smokeless, Unique and Red Dot were my favorite powders for 44-40. If ya gotta shoot smokeless in a case designed for BP, Unique is a good choice.

The load in M.D. Smith's data will work fine. I personally like mine a tad hotter, say .5 of a grain hotter? ;):)

I use XXXXXXX unique --- in 44-40, 44 magnum and 45 acp. :P

Owww, ouch, my gosh, not only did you post one loading recipe, you posted three!

Good luck, GJ

Howdy, Pard,

Plenty of loading data in the Lyman #48 Handloading manual, and also on this M.D.Smith site. I'd drop back 1.0 gr. from Smith's "MAX LOAD" for 205 gr. lead or lead alloy. That is pretty much a standard over the years for both .44-40 and .45 LC (250 gr.). Personally, I use the same grain weight but using Hodgdon's Universal powder and a 213.5 gr commercially cast bullet. It comes in at about 950 ft/sec from a 7-1/2" Ruger OM Vaquero, and about 1210 ft/sec from a 24-inch Navy Arms M1860 Henry.

The only caution I would issue is with virtually ANY smokeless powder except Trail Boss, and that is to watch for double charges, especially when loading with a progressive press. And be SURE to have good neck tension by the case on the bullet, and roll crimp firmly, but not so much as to bulge the case behind the crimp!

Ride careful, Pard! Godspeed to those still in harm's way in the defense of Freedom everywhere! God Bless America! :FlagAm:

Your obedient servant,

I use the same load for .45 Colt, .44 wcf and .38 wcf as John Taffin recommends. It is the loading Trailrider suggests. In the .44 wcf the 205 gr hits 1180 fps in a 20" bbl. It is not a max load and as I said duplicates the BP velocity so no sight changes.

I have a bright light aimed at the bullet seating station of the Dillon to ensure no double charges.

CP

Archived