SASS Wire Forum

one or two eyes

El Muerto Negro

Yep, thats the way it ougta be..... :D

..........Widder

I'm gonna remind you of that Widder!

I shoot with both eyes open on the pistol and left eye closed on rifle. I'm right handed and right eye dominant.

FWIW - People whose dominant eye is opposite their dominant hand...are typically good batters in baseball because that eye is closer to the ball coming from the pitcher.

FWIW - People whose dominant eye is opposite their dominant hand...are typically good batters in baseball because that eye is closer to the ball coming from the pitcher.

Yep, I was told that too ("You'll be a good hitter and lousy shooter" :lol: ). Hitting coaches in college even made the guys who weren't that way (cross dominant) open their stances more so they could get both eyes around on the pitcher. Seemed to help....in some cases anyway.

Now that

I know I'm left eye dominate and right handed should I still close my left eye try to keep both open,

or use my left eye and close the right?

I'm no expert....by a long shot....but I think you find a system that works for you, practice it, and stick with it. As I posted earlier, I'm cross dominant, so I shoot with both eyes open on pistols, but tuck my chin to my right bicep which allows my left eye (the dominant one) to get down the barrel/sights. I then close my left (dominant) eye to shoot rifle and shotgun. Laying your head waaaay over on the long guns is slow and a mite difficult. Closing that dominant eye allows my non-dominant one to focus. But, again, find a way that's comfortable to you and practice it would be my advice....fwiw.

Chick

Yep, I was told that too ("You'll be a good hitter and lousy shooter" :lol: ). Hitting coaches in college even made the guys who weren't that way (cross dominant) open their stances more so they could get both eyes around on the pitcher. Seemed to help....in some cases anyway.

I'm no expert....by a long shot....but I think you find a system that works for you, practice it, and stick with it. As I posted earlier, I'm cross dominant, so I shoot with both eyes open on pistols, but tuck my chin to my right bicep which allows my left eye (the dominant one) to get down the barrel/sights. I then close my left (dominant) eye to shoot rifle and shotgun. Laying your head waaaay over on the long guns is slow and a mite difficult. Closing that dominant eye allows my non-dominant one to focus. But, again, find a way that's comfortable to you and practice it would be my advice....fwiw.

Chick

Chicka, Chick, Hominy,... um Charlie has it right, just splained it a whole lot clearer than I did! LOL! V

Cept, I bat and swing an ax left handed and so does Head who is righty/righty! (Yes, I can swing an ax and throw a tomahawk!!! I'm not THAT Girly!!!) V

Archived