SASS Wire Forum

True Grit comes out tomorrow on Blu-Ray and DVD

First of all, the John Wayne version: Glen Campbell was painful to watch - couldn't act his way outta a wet paper sack. Kim Darby was only marginally better. The combination of the two of them almost made the original unwatchable, for me. The Duke and Duvall saved it.

Tried watching the Jeff Bridges version night before last and fell asleep less than half way thru! Gotta try it again and just plain ignore Matt Damon. I like Damon in other stuff (esp. the Bourne movies), but he was just plumb irritating in this. From what I remember of it, Bridges seemed to inhabit the background, like a shadow figure - almost never really there. That was never the case when the Duke was on screen - he was always front and center, caricature or not!

First of all, the John Wayne version: Glen Campbell was painful to watch - couldn't act his way outta a wet paper sack. Kim Darby was only marginally better. The combination of the two of them almost made the original unwatchable, for me. The Duke and Duvall saved it.

Tried watching the Jeff Bridges version night before last and fell asleep less than half way thru! Gotta try it again and just plain ignore Matt Damon. I like Damon in other stuff (esp. the Bourne movies), but he was just plumb irritating in this. From what I remember of it, Bridges seemed to inhabit the background, like a shadow figure - almost never really there. That was never the case when the Duke was on screen - he was always front and center, caricature or not!

That's why I prefer this new version, the story isn't about "Rooster" it's about Mattie and her quest to avenge her father.

I wonder where Mattie got the bucket she took down to the creek where she encountered Chaney?

Last night I watched the new True Grit for my first time on PPV $5.00 on 2 day rental thing so can go review the show a few more times.

I thought the bucket came from the abandoned silver mine, where Rooster had hoped to catch up again with the outlaws.

Liked the new version as well as the original TG, but did think the girl should have been soaked to the bone after coming out of the river. :lol: Some of the dialog from Bridges seemed too slurred and preferred JW better. Even liked Matt D./Texas Ranger, only one I had a problem with was horse trader and liked Strother Martin much more in the original. Still enjoyed the show for the remake and on it's own.

Archived