SASS Wire Forum

your 2 cents

Freight Hauler

howdy folks! i'm finally in a position to buy a competion ready '73! am buying a cody done from taylor's. my question is,because i love both, do ya'll find a pistol-grip, or straight-stock preferable? i'm sure this has been discussed before,but what say the majority? i have decided on bbl.,the 18",just can't decide whether to go with the beautiful, checkered pistol grip, or the beautiful straight-stock! does one have any advantage over the other,for competion? thank you much,he who can't make-up his mind.

Howdy Freight Hauler!

Gunstock was kind enough to let me use his '73 until I bought my own.....both of them have a checkered pistol grip. I've found that the checkering helps me when my fingers get cold in the winter!

Miss Cubbie :D

thahk ya lone dog! know what ya mean, i 'aint never picked up a long gun i didn't feel comfortable with! just thought i'd ask if you pro's had a preferance. thank ya pard.........MISS CUBBY,thank you too! i LOVE the looks of the checkered pistol grip,now i have reason to make a decision!(seems a chore for me anymore!)

I have both and honestly can't tell a dime's worth of difference betwixt them.

Go with the version that floats yer boat the best.

+1 I've own and handled both, can't tell the difference. Personal preference is in order here. Your choice, IMO.

Having owned and shot both kinds, I'd say the pistol grip is better.

Your wrist is held in a more natural position, and it also closely matches the grip angle of your shotgun so there's no muscle memory confusion in using the long guns. The angled pistol grip also contributes to better weapon control and improved accuracy.

If you have any doubts, look at the evolution of the stocks of military rifles.

The 1863 Springfield was a straight grip design; the Krag had a straight grip with a bit more angle; the 1903 Springfield was a straight grip - the 1903A3 had a mild pistol grip; the Garand and M14 had pistol grips; and the M16 has a full pistol grip.

If military rifle designers could see the advantages of a pistol grip then those same advantages should work for cowboys too.

I don.t like the feel of the lever on pistol grip stocks - so it's a straight stock vote for me. On a shotgun it doesn';t make a difference to me.

Personal preference...just like barrel length or caliber....

GG ~ :FlagAm:

I prefer the pistol grip with checkering for picking up the rifle.Once the rifle is shouldered, I hardly touch the stock and all of the grip is done on the front end.

Get what ya like.

Olen

I learned this from Cody himself. Get with your local club and find an example of each. Go from Port Arms to shoulder as fast as you can and see which one lands with the sights aligned best. By and large, folks with longer necks will prefer a pistol grip because it puts the sights up higher so they don't have to bring their heads down as far to see them when shouldering the rifle. Folks with shorter necks prefer the straight stock for the exact opposite reason.

If you do the test and don't find one works any better than the other, get whichever model you think looks best. :)

Straight stock has a longer LOP.

Not much, but enough for me to get rid of mine.

Might be enough for someone else to get one.

Good Luck

Thanks everyone!and 'ya know Fred, I dunno! but i'm thinking that back in '73, I would've been thrilled at the offering of a light, round barelled carbine, heck,we all (at that time)grew up with big, heavy octagon barreled rifles(percussion to boot!). I'm sure the"66 carbine was the cats $#@!, and in '73 who wanted to go back!So, I think in reality, the '73 carbine was probably the "hot ticket", everyones dream.(HONDO INCLUDED!) HUH?

:mellow: I've got both .... but always loved HOMBRE's rifle

http://www.imfdb.org/wiki/Hombre :lol:

Teddy liked the pistol grip http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:TR_Buckskin_Tiffany_Knife.jpg B)

Archived