SASS Wire Forum

Ruger Side by side Cowby Gun?

Has anyone had any experience with the Ruger Gold Label side by sides? Would they be good for our sport etc.?

Do you think they ever will or they should make one for us?

Just some thoughts and questions.

Colt

Nope. COST PROHIBITIVE to make a cheap SXS in the US of A. Even a plain jane looking Ruger SxS would be more than Cowboy Shooters would wanna spend, (at least most of us), and we're too small a market anyway. Heck, Remington couldn't make enough $$ importing the Baikal (Spartan) guns to justify the marketing costs.

:FlagAm::FlagAm::FlagAm::FlagAm::FlagAm:

Yep, wish they would too. :blink:

A Gold Label is a pretty nice (mucho $$$$) SxS to throw around in the SASS game.

Mustang Gregg

Nope. COST PROHIBITIVE to make a cheap SXS in the US of A. Even a plain jane looking Ruger SxS would be more than Cowboy Shooters would wanna spend, (at least most of us), and we're too small a market anyway. Heck, Remington couldn't make enough $$ importing the Baikal (Spartan) guns to justify the marketing costs.

This strikes me as odd. Some of us are throwing around $1000-$2000 rifles, when there are cheaper guns out there; for whatever reasons - aesthetics, reliability, parts availability, historical accuracy - lots of us are willing to pay a premium for higher level guns. Just because the existing stock of SXS shotguns has been largely composed of less-than-elite examples shouldn't mean that there is no market for higher end versions. And if, in this case, it also meant retaining Ruger reliability, I have to think they would sell.

LL

When I shot skeet, my final dream skeet gun was their all stainless Ruger Red Label ALL STAINLESS, synthetic stocked OU shotgun. I got laughed a lot. Too heavy a gun. Not a skeet gun. etc. It was perfect for me and I loved it for that purpose. I think that the Gold Label would also be perfect for old west shooting as well (with shorter barrels of course). Light weight and built like a brick you know what. But cost would be a factor of course. Even when I wanted one for a hunting piece the cost was prohibitive to me. But there is absolutely nothing like a Ruger in strength and durability. It would be nice to see one made for just that purpose. Smithy.

This strikes me as odd. Some of us are throwing around $1000-$2000 rifles, when there are cheaper guns out there; for whatever reasons - aesthetics, reliability, parts availability, historical accuracy - lots of us are willing to pay a premium for higher level guns. Just because the existing stock of SXS shotguns has been largely composed of less-than-elite examples shouldn't mean that there is no market for higher end versions. And if, in this case, it also meant retaining Ruger reliability, I have to think they would sell.

LL

It simply hasn't been the SASS way. We're rough on shotguns, so folks either go with what works and ain't pretty, or dig up and old gun and make it work. I don't know many who would opt for a SXS in the $1000 range when they can use a Russian gun or an old Stevens for $1/3-1/2 the price. I don't believe a plain jane version of the fancy round-bottomed Ruger would be any less than a grand. The value-adding frills cost relatively little to create. Taake them away, and a plain looking gun would still have cost factors making it sell for big bucks and it would look cheap. The resale value on the real market outside of CAS for shotguns is all about appearance. Roughed up LOOKING SxS is a consumable, almost totally depreciated except to another cowboy. Then we have real reliability. A lightly built SXS may seem attractive, but nobody outside of SASS is gonna treat em as rough as we do. A walking bird gun wouldn't see the beating in a lifetime we give em in a year. The truth is, there is a market for just what sells, IMHO. The Baikal, the TTN, the Stoeger, simply because we're gonna slam em around, open em wildly, hammering the action, etc... For the vast majority of CAS shooters, a Russian SXS is gonna work very well. Smokey Sue can run a double trigger Baikal so fast the timer registers a single shot on a fast pair (one finger, not both pulled at once). What value is he gonna get from the Ruger?

A $1000-2000 rifle is one thing, we actually use it to shoot targets, but I don't know why I would want to spend the same money on a shotgun. After all in our sport loading the shotgun quickly is what counts. If after loading the gun goes boom with the lightest load you can find and you can easily extract the empties, it is all good. Anybody can hit the shotgun targets we are asked to shoot. If your gun loads fast, you will do well. That is a different characterist than required of a multi-thousand dollar skeet or trap gun, or even a field gun.

It was right there in front of me. All those years, right in front of me. I saw it hundreds of times, yet failed to understand what I saw. I'm real slow on the uptake, I guess.

Plain as the nose on my face. A fact as irrefutable as the daily rising of the Sun.

Truer than true. Yet, I denied it for all those years. Sad, how slow I am to come to the truth.

It wasn't hidden from me. No conspiracy worked to keep it from me. Probably any good shooter I would have asked would have told me.

But, alas, I didn't know enough to ask. I was blind to it all.

But, truth has a way about it. It is undeniable -- at least eventually, it has to be confronted.

So, after all those years, I finally had to face it square on.

Most of the time in this game is in the shotgun.

(and, of course, you can assemble the corollaries yourself... This game is time. Shotgun is most important gun. Justifiably it will be the most expensive gun. It is the first quality gun that should be purchased. It is the gun that should get the most practice, etc. etc. etc.)

Despite our apparent 90,000+ membership, SASS is not a huge market. They would sell some, but not enough to make it worth their while.

With all due respect to previous posters, CAS shooters are already paying $1000-$2000 for SKB's and Brownings and they are doing on a regular basis. It's not that unusual. I could list you as dozen folks just in my area who have done so in the last year.

:FlagAm: Well, I guess I am the dumb shit of the group here. You all talk about not spending a lot of dollars on a scatter gun because of it's use and purpose in this sport. But it is okay to spend money on other tools of the trade so to speak. I have been in this sport since March '97 and it has been said many a time that a match is won or lost using the shotgun. My bride and I campaign a pair of Winchester 23 SxS shotguns at a general value of $2,500.00 each and worth every penny. No, I am not rich and worked hard for the funds to purchase both scatter guns and would do the same again. A quality piece is well worth the expense associated with it. Yes, I went the BSS and SKB route, but these 23's blow both out of the water. I do realize that amount of money is out of reach of many, actually was for myself also, but just because you personally do not want to spend or think you cannot afford to spend that amount of money, please do not try to convince the rest of us that the shotgun is the least important firearm in our arsenal and the best we could ever hope to use is some $300.00 imported from God knows where piece of junk that has to have money spent on it to make it perform. I removed the auto ejectors and pulled the trigger on the 23's, that's all. And we both shoot real BP out of both shotguns.

Shoot me down now if you wish.

Regards,

Chas B. Wolfson

Despite our apparent 90,000+ membership, SASS is not a huge market. They would sell some, but not enough to make it worth their while.

Apparent? I just got the CC advertizer's kit today. THIRTY THOUSAND circulation, claimed READERS 75,000. It don't take much to figure out with non-recycled numbers, and over 25 years, we have about 1/3 of the issued numbers still active. Others are dead or have left the sport. Major makers will NOT tool up for a line not gonna sell to more than say 1500 people (I figure no more than 5% would buy a $1000+ SxS to throw it around when what they have now is working.) I figure the Russian gun I bought used but still"as new" (cosmoline in barrels yet) for $225 is gonna outlast me....

Marlin recently sold Italian-made shotguns marked LC Smith for around $1500. I never could figure out that market niche.

I shot last weekend with two cowboys who used Ithaca/SKB's. There was a significant difference in those guns and my Stoeger. It has me thinking.....

The amazing thing to me is that Remington did not modify their 870 to mimic an 1897: external hammer with milled slot in the receiver, modified trigger group, elongated firing pin. This would have been closer to the 1897 than our Vaqueros are to original Colt SAA's. An American-made '97 replica for $750 would have sold like hotcakes over that Chinese version that is the source of much cussing at every match that I get to.

So, after all those years, I finally had to face it square on.

Most of the time in this game is in the shotgun.

Interesting ain't it?

People will spend $1200 on a Uberti '73 that isn't worth a plug nickel for this competition and drop another $2-400 to make it ready for the game. And by the time you get a Marlin "ready" you have darn near that much in it too.

But, "We aren't gonna pay $1000 for a shotgun we're gonna slam around."

I reckon nobody "slams around" a rifle or pistol.

Remington Spartan: $250

Browning/SKB: $1000

Ejectors removed, polished chamber, forcing cone reamed, springs modified so it'll stay open, etc.: consult your favorite gunsmith.

What the beginning price point determines is how often you're going to have to start over.

Marlin recently sold Italian-made shotguns marked LC Smith for around $1500. I never could figure out that market niche.

I shot last weekend with two cowboys who used Ithaca/SKB's. There was a significant difference in those guns and my Stoeger. It has me thinking.....

The amazing thing to me is that Remington did not modify their 870 to mimic an 1897: external hammer with milled slot in the receiver, modified trigger group, elongated firing pin. This would have been closer to the 1897 than our Vaqueros are to original Colt SAA's. An American-made '97 replica for $750 would have sold like hotcakes over that Chinese version that is the source of much cussing at every match that I get to.

I have never had any trouble with any of the 4 of my IACs, one is a trench gun and 2 are 93/97s. Can't say the same for any of my 10 or eleven or 12 (lost count) originals. Could never keep any of them running long so for now they are retired.

I would spring for a plain jane Gold Label in a heartbeat. Make mine 26" barrels, cylinder fixed chokes and English stock.

I don't use it for every little local match as I have about 2 dozen choices in scatterguns, but when I want to get serious I reach for the Ithaca SKB 200 E.

I guess I'm one of those guys that subscribe to the theory that the match can be won and lost with the shotgun. After spending as much as I have on pistols and rifles I don't see any value in skimping on a shotgun especially when it will make a difference in my game. I have a few SKB's and love them! The one that Rattlesnake shoots is fricken INCREDIBLE!!!! (Thank You Jimmy Spurs!!!!) Yes it was a bunch of money but if I am going to spend the money on bullets, gas, match fees, guns, clothes and everything else I feel will enhance our memories in this sport. Then why not shoot the best shotgun available. This sport is just our hobby but if my hobby was building race cars then you can bet that I would have the very best equipment I could afford. Therefore I have no problem paying 2 to 3 thousand on a shotgun. As far as banging our guns around goes, I didn't buy my competition guns to look at or for resale I bought them to go FAST Period. I buy other guns as investments. I know we all have our reasons for being in this sport and for me and Rattlesnake it is to perform to the best of our ablility. To me it's enjoyable to shoot a gun that performs well and if that costs a little more then so be it.

That being said I really just wondered if anyone had any experience with the Ruger side by sides. They look really cool and knowing the rugged reliability of Ruger I'm sure they would make an awesome cowboy shotgun!

That's my $2 worth

Colt

+1 with Mr. Deuce! Indiana Jackson shoots a Johnny Meadows' SKB and she will not shoot anything else. Sadly, Johnny's not giving them away this week.

Wolf Bane

SASS13557

Wolf Bane,

I agree with you!

Johnny Meadows does a great job! I actually shoot one of his for my main match gun now. No they ain't cheap but oh well neither is gasoline or diesel! LOL

Great work on your shows by the way!

Colt

Interesting ain't it?

People will spend $1200 on a Uberti '73 that isn't worth a plug nickel for this competition and drop another $2-400 to make it ready for the game. And by the time you get a Marlin "ready" you have darn near that much in it too.

But, "We aren't gonna pay $1000 for a shotgun we're gonna slam around."

I reckon nobody "slams around" a rifle or pistol.

Remington Spartan: $250

Browning/SKB: $1000

Ejectors removed, polished chamber, forcing cone reamed, springs modified so it'll stay open, etc.: consult your favorite gunsmith.

What the beginning price point determines is how often you're going to have to start over.

Where in the Hell do you get a Remington Spartan (Baikal) for $250???

+1 with Mr. Deuce! Indiana Jackson shoots a Johnny Meadows' SKB and she will not shoot anything else. Sadly, Johnny's not giving them away this week.

Wolf Bane

SASS13557

Yes sir, you got that right :wacko: I have 2 of his SKB's that are the best SASS shotguns I have ever shot....and I have tried and owned them ALL :excl: Paid less than 1K, but not much less. Well worth the $$$.

Like Deuce and others said, the price would not be far out of line with a slicked up B-SS or an SKB. I do believe it would make a great CAS gun, however, they were made in limited quantities and even seeing one for sale is tough.

BD

I had a straight stocked Gold Label for awhile - a store in Great Falls, Big Bear Sports, got one in and had a drawing to see who got first chance to buy it. I won the drawing and paid $2000 for it on March 16, 2005. I put a few boxes through it, and sold it on April 3, 2007 to a fellow in Alaska by the name of Ruesch for $2250 + shipping & insurance.

Archived