SASS Wire Forum

Just wrote my first 4 stages...

Grizzly Dave

It's harder than it looks!

Plus it was for a club that shoots two stages per bay so that added some challenge.

Overall I think they turned out decent.

Grizz

Background - Jinglebob Gerri and Badger is hitched and Badger is a gunsmith. Palewolf is a character and is always teasing about 'dang Marlin' Kind of loses something without the pictures, but here ya go since ya asked.

Stage 1 – Badger – Sweep!

Round count 10 rifle, 10 pistol, 4+ shotgun

Staging -

Pistols loaded with 5 rounds each and holstered.. Shotgun open and empty staged on the cow. Rifle loaded with 10 rounds and also staged on the cow.

Scenario –

Jinglebob comes home from shopping and finds that Badger has made a mess doing some kitchen table gunsmithing...

Shooter starts next to the cow with both hands holding a broom and shows ready by saying the line:

“BADGER!!! SWEEP!”

At the signal, shooter throws the broom clear, being careful not to put it in his/path to the hay bale and with rifle engages the targets in a Badger Sweep. 1, 2, 3, 4, 1, 2, 3, 1, 2, 1

Make rifle safe on the cow, retrieve shotgun and move to the hay bale and re-stage the shotgun on the hay bale.

With pistol Badger Sweep the four targets. 1, 2, 3, 4, 1, 2, 3, 1, 2, 1 (it might be helpful to paint target 2 a different color to help folks know where to start the second pistol.)

Shoot shotgun targets in any order.

Muzzles up, head to the unloading table.

Stage 2 – Badger’s Revenge

Round count 10 rifle, 10 pistol, 4+ shotgun

Staging -

Pistols loaded with 5 rounds each and holstered.. Shotgun open and empty staged on the cow. Rifle loaded with 10 rounds and held at Boulder port arms.

Scenario –

After Badger finishes sweeping, Jinglebob starts un-packing the new dishes she just bought.

Shooter starts next to the cow with rifle at Boulder port arms, and shows ready by saying the line:

“Plates? We don’t need no stinking plates!”

At the signal, shooter engages the plate rack in any order. After the plate rack is cleaned remaining rounds to be dumped on the bear. Misses are only counted for plates left standing, or misses on the bear.

Make rifle safe and stage on the cow, retrieve shotgun and move to the hay bale.

Shoot shotgun targets in any order, place open and empty shotgun on the hay bale.

With pistol put three rounds on each outside target, and two rounds on each inside target any order.

(example - 1, 1, 1, 2, 2, 3, 3, 4, 4, 4)

Muzzles up, head to the unloading table, good job cowboy / cowgirl!

Stage 3 – Palewolf’s Dang Marlin

Round count 9+1 rifle, 10 pistol, 4+ shotgun

Staging -

Pistols loaded with 5 rounds each and holstered.. Shotgun open and empty staged on the Hay Bale. Rifle loaded with 9 rounds and held at Boulder port arms.

Scenario –

Palewolf is standing on his porch (between the cowpies) and sees bandits making off with his prized Marlin.

Shooter starts between the cowpies rifle at Boulder port arms, and shows ready by saying the line:

“Give me back my dang Marlin!”

At the signal, shooter engages the three rifle targets in a continuous Nevada sweep for 9 rounds. After the 9th round is fired, reload one round from body and shoot the clay bird for a 5 second bonus, you must make an attempt.

Take rifle with you and move to the hay bale and re-stage it there

With each pistol, shoot the three pistol targets with two rounds on each outside target, and one round on the center target any order. (the back target is not used for this stage.

Shoot shotgun targets in any order,

Muzzles up, and take yer dang Marlin to the unloading table!

Stage 4 – Triple Dog Dare

Round count 9 rifle, 10 pistol, 4+ shotgun

Staging -

Pistols loaded with 5 rounds each and holstered.. Shotgun open and empty staged on the Hay Bale. Rifle loaded with 9 rounds and held at Boulder port arms.

Scenario –

Scrag is grilling steaks and the neighbors dogs starting sniffing around the grill…

Shooter starts between the cowpies rifle at Boulder port arms, and shows ready by saying the line:

“Go ahead! I triple dog dare ya!”

At the signal, shooter engages the three rifle targets in a triple tap sweep (clay bird is not used for this stage)

Take rifle with you and move to the hay bale and re-stage it there

Shoot shotgun targets in any order, place open and empty shotgun on the hay bale.

With pistols, triple tap the three front pistol targets, any order, with your 10th round shoot the back pistol target.

Muzzles up, and take yer tired dogs to the unloading table!

Good stuff, Grizz - thanks for sharing!

My hat is off to folks who write stages month after month after month.

I imagine some parts of it get easier, paying attention to where guns are staged and discarded with relation to downrange movement etc etc etc. Doing two stages on one set was a challenge for me not to go with same gun order for both.

The club typically doesn't have scenarios or starting lines, but the guy who wrote the stages last month had some creative ones, but some folks thought they were too long, so while I used them, I tried to keep them short and sweet.

Those who have read more than one of my posts know I have trouble using just a few words when I can stretch it out to a couple of paragraphs :D

I like the ideas of the "starting lines"

This puts tyhe onus on the shooter rather than the RO at to getting a good start.

stoopid question time:

What is "Boulder port arms" ? ..... is this different from "cowboy port arms" as listed (sorta) in the Stage Conventions ??

........... enquirin' minds an' such ...

Thought that might come up...this match will be shot at the Boulder range which does not allow the barrel to be aimed above the berm at any time which the traditional port arms position would do, so they use 'Boulder port arms' which has the butt of the rifle at your hip and the muzzle pointed below the top of the berm.

I like starting lines too, gives me more chances to clown around :D

Thought that might come up...this match will be shot at the Boulder range which does not allow the barrel to be aimed above the berm at any time which the traditional port arms position would do, so they use 'Boulder port arms' which has the butt of the rifle at your hip and the muzzle pointed below the top of the berm.

Thank You

(now I understand :) )

I love that sort of "clowning around" too :D

('course it's gotta be safe "clowning around" ;) )

I like the ideas of the "starting lines"

This puts the onus on the shooter rather than the RO at to getting a good start.

Oh! In other words "Charge Bayonet" position. Why didn't you say so in the first place? :lol:

My question is about: After the plate rack is cleaned remaining rounds to be dumped on the bear. Misses are only counted for plates left standing, or misses on the bear.

Where did the bear come from?

Oh! In other words "Charge Bayonet" position. Why didn't you say so in the first place? :lol:

My question is about: After the plate rack is cleaned remaining rounds to be dumped on the bear. Misses are only counted for plates left standing, or misses on the bear.

Where did the bear come from?

That is where pictures really help, the bear hangs under the plate rack.

Good for you Grizz! More clubs need people to partcipate. Also, I enjoyed your article about Comin at Chu in the Chronicle. :)

That is where pictures really help, the bear hangs under the plate rack.

Ah! Thank you. I figured it was something that if you were there it would make perfect sense, but I read your (in my opinion, very clear) directions about 6 times thinking I had missed something.

Grizz

Effin ya want to get em all shook up , throw in some odd-Ball sweeps . like 1,3,5,2,4 if there are 5 targets 3,5,1,4,2,

On 3 targets do something like 2,1,3,1,3, or 2,3,1,3,1 .

Too slow a stage down throw in more S/G targets .

Try to balance the S/G beween odd and even number of targets so it does not favor the 97 , odd num of targets favor a 97 slightley .

Other than that make them fun , split pistol with movement is a hoot , IMO

CB

I like starting lines also but my problem is I usually change them which can through off the RO ;)

I wrote the stages for our next match it is challenging but fun

Miz Meg, Around here lots of folks modify the start line. Ussually poking fun at one of the pards-often gets a laugh from the t/o. J-r

Ah Grizzzz....you'd do well at the Texicans! We always have lines to start and most times a short story. Half the fun is twisting them around to fit someone in the posse :P

Lotsa times now we start out with your rifle "at the ready" instead of "port arms" so you've already got it on your shoulder but not levered until the timer goes off.

Miss Cubbie

The clubs I shoot at do a GREAT job with stages, always mixing things up, different starting positions, sometimes it guns on the table, or shoulder or whatever.

Writing your own stages sure makes you appreciate those who do it all the time, that's for sure!

Miz Meg, Around here lots of folks modify the start line. Ussually poking fun at one of the pards-often gets a laugh from the t/o. J-r

Yes sometimes they can get somewhat inappropriate lol but I always make sure there are no younguns around

Archived