SASS Wire Forum

Miz Demeaner.. Marlin.. why does she hate me?

Deja Vous

I shot on Sat. then on Sunday after two round Mis Demearner acted up. I kept trying to lever her, and she would not lever. Nothing came out.. After 3 attempts... I used JJJ's gun.. and JJJ's cleaned Miz Demeaner and he found lead.. one lead that was just sitting eight in the mouth of the barrel. Which means my lever might have pulled the lead out and pushed it into the barrel and I ejected the brass.. Then my next three reloads did not chamber. I feel like I have a guaridan angel looking over me... but was there a second reason? you tell me..

Without seeing it in person it is hard to say, but I am confidant that JJJs and others out there will figure it out.

I hate it when stuff don't work like it should. But at least you got to shoot!

Spent the afternoon at a gathering at the inlaws, it was ok, good food, but I'd rather have been shooting... :D I know, I'm a sick puppy.

And now dang it, it went and got late and I spent half an hour writing a chapter on the three amigos story and I should already be in the bunkhouse. This whole work thing is really cutting into my staying up late all night, sleep during the day, go shooting all the time lifestyle that I'd like to have...

Grizz

Without seeing it in person it is hard to say, but I am confidant that JJJs and others out there will figure it out.

I hate it when stuff don't work like it should. But at least you got to shoot!

Spent the afternoon at a gathering at the inlaws, it was ok, good food, but I'd rather have been shooting... :D I know, I'm a sick puppy.

And now dang it, it went and got late and I spent half an hour writing a chapter on the three amigos story and I should already be in the bunkhouse. This whole work thing is really cutting into my staying up late all night, sleep during the day, go shooting all the time lifestyle that I'd like to have...

Grizz

Grizzes you're only a sick puppy if you start dreaming of Aunt Bertah being in your sightes.. lol

There are two kinds of people that have squibs:

Those that have HAD one,

And those that WILL HAVE one.....

I have been reloading since about 1970, and just had my first (and hopefully only one) last year.

I shot on the same posse as a world champion SASS, and he had about 3 in the same day...

you got lucky....watch yer powder Miz V.

curley

There are two kinds of people that have squibs:

Those that have HAD one,

And those that WILL HAVE one.....

I have been reloading since about 1970, and just had my first (and hopefully only one) last year.

I shot on the same posse as a world champion SASS, and he had about 3 in the same day...

you got lucky....watch yer powder Miz V.

curley

Not a squib... it was right at the cone entrace to the barrel. It never went off! I think the round wasn't crimped enough so the lead was pulled out of it. The lead is still the same shape with no markets on it, and no real crimp marks either. So, not the gun, but the bullet.. but my question is would that lead keep the next round from chambering? Or was I watched over by my guardian angel? lol

IF the bbl throat was that fouled. YES.

YOU still got lucky, BTW.

NOW go and clean that rifle's bore with a NEW bore brush.

Clean that Marlin from the breech ;)

When your done. Before you put the bolt back in, with the muzzle pointed down. Drop a few loaded rounds into the chamber and check for fit. First they should slide all the way into the chamber, then they SHOULD just fall out when you point the muzzle up.

Cheers,

LG

I shot on Sat. then on Sunday after two round Mis Demearner acted up. I kept trying to lever her, and she would not lever. Nothing came out.. After 3 attempts... I used JJJ's gun.. and JJJ's cleaned Miz Demeaner and he found lead.. one lead that was just sitting eight in the mouth of the barrel. Which means my lever might have pulled the lead out and pushed it into the barrel and I ejected the brass.. Then my next three reloads did not chamber. I feel like I have a guaridan angel looking over me... but was there a second reason? you tell me..

Sounds like the bullet was not crimped into place, and the lead was far enough forward to engage the rifling,

thus getting stuck when you cycled the lever and ejected the un-fired round. The next round to chamber would

not go in fully, which is good.

Now - the question is - how did that come to pass? I'm not sure of the throat length before you engage rifling

in the Marlin, but it sounds like you found out!

Now you know why I love my '92's - they fail in altogether different ways!!!!

Shadow Catcher

Guest Tennessee Stud, SASS# 43634 Life

Deep enuff trouble already... guess I will mosey on without comment.

ts

DV

I do belive Mis Deamaer is JELIOUS of you , therefore she is being hard to get along with .

CB

Why would she be jealous of me Chics?? She can create smoke, I can't.. lol.. And I bought her a new lever warp from Roy in her favorite color, brown.... lol.. All she had to do is belch smoke and all the guys are in awe of that little girl gun.. lol I did try to make smoke come of of my nose once, it never happened, in fact I am not sure where the darn smoke went too? I hope it doesn't come out at a party or work or something.. lol

Well MAYBE she is just being tempermental . She may not like B/P , more a smokeless kinda girl .

I had a truck that would break-down every time my EX would drive her , she never left me walkin in the 10 years I had her .

CB

Your EX or the truck, Chickasaw?

Not a squib... it was right at the cone entrace to the barrel. It never went off! I think the round wasn't crimped enough so the lead was pulled out of it. The lead is still the same shape with no markets on it, and no real crimp marks either. So, not the gun, but the bullet.. but my question is would that lead keep the next round from chambering? Or was I watched over by my guardian angel? lol

I had a thought. I know, scarrie ha? How uniform are the bullet diameters? If you cast your own, use a sizing die to make sure they are the proper size. One might be just oversized enough to just fit in the expanded mouth of a case, then jam in tight at the forcing cone. If the lead is soft, you will get lead buildup faster. We shoot way more than most folks did in the real 1890's.

To answer your question, yes, a bullet stuck in the forcing cone will prevent another round from being chambered. You got lucky there.

If you suspect a loose crimp, get a Lee Factory Crimp Die, they don't cost much, and that will give you the best crimp you can get.

Just thinkin that's all. YMMV Dutchman

BMC

The truck never left me walkin , but she sure did the EX-wife .

Of corse I would fall down laughin ever time it happened , I told her the truck didn't like her ,

MAYBE , I should have listened to the truck and the LAB I had at the time . He would brace against my back and send her flying off the bed in the middle of the nite , (smart dog)

CB

See... What I tell ya ?? :blink:

Miz Demearner is awlfully mad at you !!!

My 44/40 and 45LC shoot BETTER wif some foulin' in da barrel.

Sounds like da lack of a crimp to me......

But what do I know.................................

(DO NOT ASWER DAT !!!!! )

Well MAYBE she is just being tempermental . She may not like B/P , more a smokeless kinda girl .

I had a truck that would break-down every time my EX would drive her , she never left me walkin in the 10 years I had her .

CB

lol... Well chics ya know me I don't give up easy.. I have to keep hanging in there and hoping so Miz Demeaner has a home like Rat dog does.. lol.. I have been told I am too gentle with her.. so I am considering taking classes in being martial arts, being more direct and agressive, and how to get ahead of your dog and gun in an argument.. But I am waiting to ask my dad before I sign up.. lol.. Just kidding..

See... What I tell ya ?? :blink:

Miz Demearner is awlfully mad at you !!!

My 44/40 and 45LC shoot BETTER wif some foulin' in da barrel.

Sounds like da lack of a crimp to me......

But what do I know.................................

(DO NOT ASWER DAT !!!!! )

Well lets see.. ahhh you know a lot more than I know.. thats way I reading your post.. lol... Someday Miz Demeaner and I will work out our differences.. but for now I am pretty sure I am the problem.... usually I am.. lol

IF the bbl throat was that fouled. YES.

YOU still got lucky, BTW.

NOW go and clean that rifle's bore with a NEW bore brush.

Clean that Marlin from the breech ;)

When your done. Before you put the bolt back in, with the muzzle pointed down. Drop a few loaded rounds into the chamber and check for fit. First they should slide all the way into the chamber, then they SHOULD just fall out when you point the muzzle up.

Cheers,

LG

Lumpys.. I will do exactly that... but I do know how lucky I am. When I open my eyes in the morning I look into the heavens and I know exactly how lucky I am to be here .... And my day starts knowing that it could have been different if not for luck, but mostly God. I am not a cautious person, therefore God gave me guardian angels, some are invisable, and some are living human beings like you and the guys on this board and my posse 2.... and my old friends back in MO, GA, SC, AZ, IL,WI... life is pretty amazing..

". . . . get a Lee Factory Crimp Die, they don't cost much, and that will give you the best crimp you can get. "

My thoughts also.

Make sure they are CRIMPED real good. Since you are using black powder your cases are full and you don't have the common tube magazine problem of the bullets getting too deep into the cases as happens with smokeless shoooters that don't crimp good. But you had the opposite of a bullet pulling out of the case when it has stuck into the rifling.

". . . . get a Lee Factory Crimp Die, they don't cost much, and that will give you the best crimp you can get. "

My thoughts also.

Make sure they are CRIMPED real good. Since you are using black powder your cases are full and you don't have the common tube magazine problem of the bullets getting too deep into the cases as happens with smokeless shoooters that don't crimp good. But you had the opposite of a bullet pulling out of the case when it has stuck into the rifling.

Lee Factory Crimp costs $19.95 shipped here to MN.

I use it all da time and never had what you talkin' bout.

Thanks guys for all the tips.. Tomorrow I am going to meet the UW supervisor here in CA down by the beach.. lol.. Okay fine, in an office by the beach. I mention I might be interested in doing UW, so they are talking to me about moving down there. After a lot of thought, I think I like it where I am, don't feel ready to move again, I am tried of moving around and making new friends, I like the ones I have here. So, tomorrow will be a hard day for me telling someone no is difficult. Especially when you made them think you were interested, so it is my own fault so I need to tell them in person. I love my posse here, my friends and moving again is not what I want to do.. I just started feeling whole again thanks to some pretty cool people out here.

Anyhow, I will take Miz Demeaner with me along with some boots to wear with my city dress on my way home.. I need to go to the range to see if she works or not. If not, I gotta take her in for repairs pronto.. I have shoots coming up! I hope she works, I hope it is a fluke.. but JJJ's tells me it could be the firing pin since it did not go off. What he pointed out was that the first time it did not work we dumped all the ammo and I loaded up again and it did work. Then the next stage it did not work. So he thinks it was the last round that left the lead in my gun, not the previous one. Tomorrow will tell the tale, and I will be honest you can count on that... when i am wrong I say so!

For now I am climbing out on a "girl" limb.. lol.. of I think I know what happened even though I don't know a lot about ammo or the inner workings of a gun.. I just like to shoot them.. and help reload .. lol.. So I am pitting my "vast" knowledge here.. lol against the ODDS... I have this feeling I will have a funny outcome no matter what.. Life is not about right or wrong guesses.. it is about guessing right? lol... just kidding... But it will be fun to see if I get lucky and I am right for once.. lol

Archived