SASS Wire Forum

Night of June 5, 1944

Currahee! :FlagAm:

They do not make them like my dad anymore. My father lost a wife and raised 4 children and I made 5. He lost a child in 1950 that was born that year in Jan to teatnus on the farm and I was named after her, we had different mothers. . I have been give the grace to live in her name.

My father graduated early from high school and college and thanks to his wise choices I got to start school early, and get out early. At times I doubted his wisdom, like the time I was not old enought to tie my shoes yet but I was learning math.

Dad was not able to serve during WWII. He Had Migraine headaches, Flat Feet, Brights disease, and Scoliosis. Still he was the bravest man I have ever know, and the most patriotic. If I ever doubted our nation he offered me a free ticket to Russia growing up.. lol.. Kinda taught me to think about stuff. To this day I do at times give my view point too fast, and he quickly reminds me that I am still a kid to him..lol.. the greatest generation, without a doubt..

I have to tell you guys.. we have another great generation. And they are my brothers and friends who served during Nam.... they did it with guts, and did not concern themselves about the glory that soliders came to expect from the past. This generation fought knowing full well that the war they served in would not be the "favored" war like their fathers fought. But it did not matter to them. Because they knew they were right, they knew they were fighting the very same enemy, and enemy to our nation. My heart goes out to those I lost as a child in Nam, to my family who served, those who came home with pain in their hearts, and to those who think Americans don't care.. cuz we do.. we love ya... We really do...

Nothing like a nice quiet glider ride behind enemy lines. I can not imagine what that was like.

My father was in the 3rd Armor "SpearHead" Division. I believe they landed on the 29th of this month. June was never a good month around our house. Dad always got real moody about the middle of the month.

Amazing men and such great heroes....

:FlagAm: :FlagAm: :FlagAm: :FlagAm: :FlagAm: :FlagAm: :FlagAm:

The first 20 minutes of Saving Private Ryan was probably the most difficult time I ever had in a movie theater.

The first 20 minutes of Saving Private Ryan was probably the most difficult time I ever had in a movie theater.

Utahs... Nams vets are the very best!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! you guys "country and western" in my heart.. who cares about "rock"??? Guys that served at Nam knew t hey would not be honored like WWII and Korean war vets. But they fought the just fight anyhow. I love y;all.. you deserve so much more and so much better. coming from small town USA we did not have the same issues the bigger areas had during that time. We were too busy baling hay.. lol. Americans are now learning what an oportunity they missed out on by not supporting our troops.. and they are sorry.. And I do believe that, i really do. I have not gone to an event in years where a guy does not remove his hat for the flag, and I pray even just in my heart over my meals when others do not. Have I loved and lost, well heck yes.. but in the end I can not question God or my nation past the question I ask my self. If I was a guy I would have served, but I was not.. so why not? Cuz for some reason God made me a silly girl and that part never will make much sense to me? Cuz I could have helped out.. but I accept it... cuz I think God knows a lot more than I do... gosh, I hate that.. lol

My father came ashore at Normandy on June 7th with the 83rd Infantry Division other wise known as the rag tag circus. This was the Infantry Division that beat Patton’s armor to the Elbe. He served in every major battle in the European theater including the Bulge. He would never talk about his experiences and would never pick up a gun again after he came home. He is gone now but today is always a day of remembrance of the sacrifices that he and all of the others that served made

Here's to your dad. God bless him. :FlagAm:

My Dad went in on Omaha Beach the morning of D Day with his FA Battery getting ashore that afternoon and was in combat till VE day in Pilsen CZ with only 2 weeks out of the line and as a Forward observer much of the time (where he collected most of his Bronze Stars and a Silver Star) On D Day he was a FO with the Big Red One!

:FlagAm:

I Miss him every day

Doc, F.O.s rock!

A big salute to your dad's memory. :FlagAm:

Doc, F.O.s rock!

A big salute to your dad's memory. :FlagAm:

Thanks BoB,

These Maps of his I display in my bar (Named 'The Captain's T.O.T.' (Time On Target) in his honor show his route and the units he was attached to in WW II http://gallery.me.com/windshadow#100054&view=grid&bgcolor=black&sel=6 which some may find of interest. :FlagAm:

fixed the link I had a problem with the wetware between my ears with all the links I tried to use this morning

Cheers

Windy

My dad climed aboard plane 11

Pathfinder 3rd Battalion 505th PIR HQ-3

He is alive and well and mean as ever - I love him so.

Like Henry Harrison's father - he does not talk about his experiance much.

I was able to get a bit of information from one of Phil Nordyke's books

Coffee

My Dad was in N.Africa( Kasserine Pass), Sicily and Italy. He never talked about it with me, and said very little to one of my cousins.Mom did talk about him having nightmares at times. Gone now( 1999). unfortunately, so are his records( St. Louis fire 1974)............ :FlagAm:

Same with my dad... I can still recall him waking up the whole house as he would wake from a night mare shouting

"Fire and Fall Back"

And while they became much less frequent after about 15 years my Mom said it was still happening once in a while when he was in his 60s

[/quote]

That was true for me also. My next door neighbor and SIL's father was in the fourth wave in. He served as a medic. I never knew that until after he was gone and his son told me. I would sit in his garage and drink beer with him and watch the rain fall. Really neat man. He never said a word about it. You sometimes never know what heros live next door to you.

Yer right Bob, they got everything right! The correct sound of bullets hitting steel, people ect.!!!

Archived