SASS Wire Forum

4th of July Warthogs

Lakewood Marshals gonna have a shootin' celebration match the weekend of the 4th. And I heard some conspirin' that some frontier cartridge shooters wuz gonna load up "Warthog" loads. Now I've been dabblin with black powder in some moderate loads, but I've got a few ??? about these Warthogs. In a 44-40 how much hotter is a warthog than the old factory loads? What do I put between the bullet and the powder? What will I do with these rounds if the warthogs don't show up? And finally, do chicks dig it?

Lakewood Marshals gonna have a shootin' celebration match the weekend of the 4th. And I heard some conspirin' that some frontier cartridge shooters wuz gonna load up "Warthog" loads. Now I've been dabblin with black powder in some moderate loads, but I've got a few ??? about these Warthogs. In a 44-40 how much hotter is a warthog than the old factory loads? What do I put between the bullet and the powder? What will I do with these rounds if the warthogs don't show up? And finally, do chicks dig it?

You simply fill the case and stuff in a bullet. Nothing between the bullet and the powder. If the warthogs don't show you simply shoot the rounds.

Fill the case to the rim and shove a bullet into it. No cards, wads, or other such things.

Chicks dig it when I have 'em shoot a coupla' pistol loads........

So do we need to start promotin' this "WARTHAWG" category so you'll have company like maybe Lead Pumper, and Rev. Willie, maybe Bull Skinner. Hell I might jump in if ya let me shoot it Gunfighter :D

I'll be there, you can bet your bottom dollar and my middle name is WARTHOG as some can attest. No filler, all BP and compress it to the best of your ability then add a little more. Press that bullet in and give it a good crimp.

I advise you to warn the ladies and small children about the spectacular shock and awe they are about to witness. The secret in shooting gunfighter warthog loads is you will love it when the ladies swoon in your arms! (It may be they were gagging but I think they were swooning) :lol:

Sarge, make it a category for the July shoot. Sign me up!

We're going to have a good crowd!

Rev Willy (Warthog) Dunkum

So do we need to start promotin' this "WARTHAWG" category so you'll have company like maybe Lead Pumper, and Rev. Willie, maybe Bull Skinner. Hell I might jump in if ya let me shoot it Gunfighter :D

NO NEW CATAMEGORIES! ;)

How ya gonna enforce warthogishness? Cain't be done.

Besides if we encourage too many, then we won't stand out. :lol:

I know some stages are Gunfighter friendly, but how do you make a stage Warthog friendly????? Ya got me thinkin bout this gunfighter stuff....I been rubbing into Ol Deadly Dave bout gitten beat by double dualist, black powder shooter....That feller OTTO Nobetter did some sweet gunfighten' Saturday.....

NO NEW CATAMEGORIES! ;)

How ya gonna enforce warthogishness? Cain't be done.

Besides if we encourage too many, then we won't stand out. :lol:

+1 to that UB. This will just be a category for our locals that come to our Independence Day Shootout which is kind of our unofficial annual match. Besides if it became an official category then people would start wanting it broken down into Senior WartHawg, SSWH, ESWH etc.etc.etc............

I know some stages are Gunfighter friendly, but how do you make a stage Warthog friendly????? Ya got me thinkin bout this gunfighter stuff....I been rubbing into Ol Deadly Dave bout gitten beat by double dualist, black powder shooter....That feller OTTO Nobetter did some sweet gunfighten' Saturday.....

You cannot use Warthog and Friendly in the same sentence. :lol: :lol:

but how do you make a stage Warthog friendly?????

Shoot from inside a faux building. The walls contain the noise and magnify concussion. The smoke also stays close by and thickens with every round fired.

Shoot in a wooded area that's protected from a breeze. With nothing to blow away the smoke, it gets thicker with each shot.

Design the stage in a slight ravine. The slopes amplify sound as well as shield the area from breezes. See previous sentence.

Design the stage so that the afternoon sun is high overhead and slightly forward of the firing line. It causes the lingering smoke to become an opaque white cloud.

Have one stage that involves a pistol dump into a stuffed dummy at point blank range. But have a water hose nearby because the Warthogs will definitely set the dummy on fire occasionally.

For anyone who's been there, I just described the Big Irons' range in Middletown, Ohio. It's where the Guns of August is held every year and is one of the most fun black powder ranges you'll find anywhere with a great group of folks to shoot it with you.

Archived