SASS Wire Forum

1871 H&R 'Buffalo Classic' question

Hey Gunner:

No, receiver mounted peeps are not legal.

You can buy a blade that replaces the peep using the same base.

Or you can get a ladder sight

Or use a tang mounted peep screwed into the wood as this gun has no tang

or you can have a false tang made & mount it to that

--Dawg

Hey Gunner:

No, receiver mounted peeps are not legal.

You can buy a blade that replaces the peep using the same base.

Or you can get a ladder sight

Or use a tang mounted peep screwed into the wood as this gun has no tang

or you can have a false tang made & mount it to that

--Dawg

Great! Thanks Prairie Dawg...I'll see what I can find.

have a great day!

GG ~ :FlagAm:

True, even though that sight which is the original sight on the rifle IS NOT a receiver sight! However "they" have said it isn't legal and such. Simple enough to fix, either replace that peep with a blade sight which is a few bucks from brownells or replace the whole shebang with a Smith Enterprises ladder sight which is a much better sight anyway (And works EXACTLY the same as the factory sight.)

Gunner, git that ladder sight, y'all will love it

I have the same rifle in 38-55 and it's a tack driver

CYA on the long range......

hOOt :FlagAm:

Yup - it's on the bucket list....after reading the rules (they address Long Range) I guess I can still keep the globe front sight and shoot in Buffalo Rifle...right? :lol:

See ya on th elong range pard....Thanks for a GREAT weekend!

Back when I had an H&R I looked into the Smith sight. Somehow I just couldn't justify spending $165 on a sight to put on a rifle I only paid $275 for.

Picked up a milsurp ladder sight at a gunshow ... Mauser, Nagant - couldn't say ... for $5. About an hour of fitment work later and it worked just fine.

Back when I had an H&R I looked into the Smith sight. Somehow I just couldn't justify spending $165 on a sight to put on a rifle I only paid $275 for.

Picked up a milsurp ladder sight at a gunshow ... Mauser, Nagant - couldn't say ... for $5. About an hour of fitment work later and it worked just fine.

I understand the logic, and agree with it...but this rifle has a 'sentimental' value so it's on 'priceless' status. The Smith sight will be a nice addition...

Here's what I did:

Buff Classic

It's a 1901 Krag sight, very similar to a Buffington in dimensions and function, mounted just forward of the chamber. Miles of adjustment for windage and elevation~! ;)

Yup - it's on the bucket list....after reading the rules (they address Long Range) I guess I can still keep the globe front sight and shoot in Buffalo Rifle...right? :lol:

See ya on th elong range pard....Thanks for a GREAT weekend!

Yep, hang on ta that globe sight, ya can git more apertures fer it if ya need em.

Glad you and Sassy had a good time, CYA next time pard

hOOt :FlagAm:

Here's what I did:

Buff Classic

It's a 1901 Krag sight, very similar to a Buffington in dimensions and function, mounted just forward of the chamber. Miles of adjustment for windage and elevation~! ;)

Wow - that DOES have miles of adjustment...looks almost exactly like the sight I have on my 1903A1.

Though it does have style points (yes, I like it alot) I still will go with the Smith version since it is a 'drop in'.

Thanks for sharing pard!

Archived