SASS Wire Forum

HEY MODERATORS!

Griff

I was learnin' something there with Nate's posts about how to diagnose a problem.

Yeah, I would like to know why it was deleted also. I was out all day and got back and it was not here.

It would be nice if something gets deleted that someone PM the poster to at least let them know why. :blush:

What was your post about? I tried to find one that was invisible to no avail. Let me know...thanks Katie

The name of the thread was "Problem with my 92" or something along those lines. I was asking for help with my 92 and was getting some good replies from Nate and others. Now its gone with no explanation.

Why don't you just start a new one?

Well, because I dont know why it was deleted in the first place.

Also, can I expect someone like Nate or the others to spend that time and write all of that again taking more time out of his day.

Why cant I just be told why it was deleted?

Mayhaps somebody mistakenly believed it was going to turn into an NKJ info-mercial. Only thing I can figger.

They done us all a dis-service whoever done it.

A man trying to help, in my mind, does not seem like a infomercial to me.

Well, because I dont know why it was deleted in the first place.

Also, can I expect someone like Nate or the others to spend that time and write all of that again taking more time out of his day.

Why cant I just be told why it was deleted?

GOOD point and a VERY FAIR question :excl:

Respectfully,

LG

I could find no trace of the thread. Usually they are set invisible so we can answer these types of questions.

Could have come from above our pay grade

BH

Well maybe so. Guess I wont ever get an answer so I will just leave it like it is. Pretty yella though for someone to crash a whole thread while hidden in the shadows and never say a word about it to the person who started the thread.

Have a good day sir

As an administrator to another forum, not gun related, the other administrators and I and the moderators have the ability to delete the offending post instead of the entire thread.

We find that much more effective as the posts tend to be very technical and long so deleting a complete topic deletes all the useful information. By deleting only the offending post the poster knows and can ask why. If they continue to post to the topic with offending material, it continues to be deleted. If they remove the offending parts of their posts it stays.

I am wondering if this is available to the wire moderators?

It is a useful tool in my opinion.

Any word on why it was deleted?

Hello Rube Burrows,

Like Black Harris said I don't find anything either. You have posts about a shirt, Cody Matic and etc. but nothing else...sorry I looked and I know Black Harris did. Katie

As an administrator to another forum, not gun related, the other administrators and I and the moderators have the ability to delete the offending post instead of the entire thread.

We find that much more effective as the posts tend to be very technical and long so deleting a complete topic deletes all the useful information. By deleting only the offending post the poster knows and can ask why. If they continue to post to the topic with offending material, it continues to be deleted. If they remove the offending parts of their posts it stays.

I am wondering if this is available to the wire moderators? It is a useful tool in my opinion.

Hello Cliff Hanger,

We have the ability to make individual posts invisible, or the entire subject and yes it is a useful tool. Katie

A man trying to help, in my mind, does not seem like a infomercial to me.

Didn't seem that way to me either but that's the only theory I could come up with. Dang dirty shame, Nate was doling out good free education and poof it's gone.

Seems like around here the whole string is more apt to disappear than just the offending post be surgically excised. The ham handed approach...

I didn't see the original post, but as I read through this I am reminded of something that happened on another forum I used to follow on another subject. One day all the sticky posts, maybe three or four, were gone, and none of the administrators knew how or why, poof!, off into the ozone they went.

Computers are funny things.

Try it again.

Hello Rube Burrows,

Like Black Harris said I don't find anything either. You have posts about a shirt, Cody Matic and etc. but nothing else...sorry I looked and I know Black Harris did. Katie

Thank you both for looking. Im sure it was something done above you and that politics were involved which is sad because whoever done it took away some good information that could have been very useful to a lot of people.

Well, Rube, if you won't, I will, AND ask for Nate's forbearance to again give that explanation and methodolgy to check for the possible cause of the problem. It'd certainly be of interest to more than myself.

As I recall (feel free to correct me, as I'm less than infallible), Rube was experiencing some intermittent failures to fire in his Rossi '92... Some respondents had offered advice about this primer or that, and ac couple had offered opinions about spring tension; but ISTR (I seem to recall), that Rube had used a couple of different primers and was fairly certain that wasn't the cause.

It was here that I read Nate's opinion that a broken firing pin could be the culprit and offered up a way to check for a broken pin without disassembling the rifle or bolt. It was at this point that I tried to ask a question to clarify the procedure, where such a break would occur and what would be a possible cause. But when I tried to post it said the post couldn't be found. I'd had a broken firing pin on one of my '92s, but it was only the tip and it fell out, clearly not present, and obviously didn't cause intermittment FTFs!

I didn't see the original post, but as I read through this I am reminded of something that happened on another forum I used to follow on another subject. One day all the sticky posts, maybe three or four, were gone, and none of the administrators knew how or why, poof!, off into the ozone they went.

Computers are funny things.

Try it again.

There's usually a reason these things happen, and it's almost always the same thing......operator error

There's usually a reason these things happen, and it's almost always the same thing......operator error

That's true, should say nobody fessed up to it.

Well, Rube, if you won't, I will, AND ask for Nate's forbearance to again give that explanation and methodolgy to check for the possible cause of the problem. It'd certainly be of interest to more than myself.

As I recall (feel free to correct me, as I'm less than infallible), Rube was experiencing some intermittent failures to fire in his Rossi '92... Some respondents had offered advice about this primer or that, and ac couple had offered opinions about spring tension; but ISTR (I seem to recall), that Rube had used a couple of different primers and was fairly certain that wasn't the cause.

It was here that I read Nate's opinion that a broken firing pin could be the culprit and offered up a way to check for a broken pin without disassembling the rifle or bolt. It was at this point that I tried to ask a question to clarify the procedure, where such a break would occur and what would be a possible cause. But when I tried to post it said the post couldn't be found. I'd had a broken firing pin on one of my '92s, but it was only the tip and it fell out, clearly not present, and obviously didn't cause intermittment FTFs!

Hi Griff,

I was wondering where that post went too. Anyway, if the gun has always done it then yes, check the spring. But, if it just started two things to look for. One is the firing pin may be broke in the middle where the top of the finger lever straddles it. It breaks there because that is the thinnest part. The way to check it is with the gun level open the lever fully and the FP will retract. You won't see the tip. But, with it still open if you point the gun down and the tip protrudes again then most likely it's broke in the middle.

I think in Rubes case he had someone work on it and if they used the spring kit with the long "U" shaped wire trigger return spring that may the culprit. I've seen several of those wire springs take a set to a point that the trigger pull becomes so light that you don't follower through with the pull enough to allow the trigger nose to miss the 1/4 cock notch as the hammer goes by. The trigger nose hitting the notch will slow the hammer enough to cause a FTF. Eventually the trigger nose gets so battered the hammer will start following the bolt.

BTW, I got your email but with the medical junk going on right now I'm behind in my emails.

Hi Griff,

I was wondering where that post went too. Anyway, if the gun has always done it then yes, check the spring. But, if it just started two things to look for. One is the firing pin may be broke in the middle where the top of the finger lever straddles it. It breaks there because that is the thinnest part. The way to check it is with the gun level open the lever fully and the FP will retract. You won't see the tip. But, with it still open if you point the gun down and the tip protrudes again then most likely it's broke in the middle.

I think in Rubes case he had someone work on it and if they used the spring kit with the long "U" shaped wire trigger return spring that may the culprit. I've seen several of those wire springs take a set to a point that the trigger pull becomes so light that you don't follower through with the pull enough to allow the trigger nose to miss the 1/4 cock notch as the hammer goes by. The trigger nose hitting the notch will slow the hammer enough to cause a FTF. Eventually the trigger nose gets so battered the hammer will start following the bolt.

BTW, I got your email but with the medical junk going on right now I'm behind in my emails.

Thank you for taking the time to write back Nate.

Are you guys talking about a thread started by Pawnee Drifter

Titled "Rossi Interarms 92 Rifle will it feed 38s?

The 2nd post was by Rube Burrows

Is this the one?

Nope, it was a separate topic started by Rube and had a few replies when I started to ask a question of Nate... Mysterious.

Thanks, Nate; got it set in my head this time. And it makes sense now... before I just couldn't quite grasp the concept. And, on that other subject, I contacted Turnbull... cost just skyrocketed... workin' at doin' some work locally first and limiting the high-priced work. I'll continue to show progress over "yonder".

So Rube, I guess by now you've had a chance to check with the local GS or maybe tried a washer or 2 under the main spring.

How about an update on the rifle and those things you've tried.

I talked to him and will bring him the gun on Saturday. Other than that I have been so busy with my sisters wedding things and have not had time to mess with it.

Archived