SASS Wire Forum

What's The Call?

Stage calls for shotgun, pistol, rifle, pistol. Shooter shoots shotgun, picks up and levers rifle before TO can stop him, fires 1 rifle round hitting 1st rifle target, with action still closed, hammer down on spent round , re-stages rifle in original starting position, draws and shoots 1st pistol (no misses), holsters pistol, retrieves rifle and completes rifle sequence (no misses), re-stages rifle and completes course of fire with 2nd pistol (no misses).

I know the shooter gets a Procedural for shooting the rifle out of order, and I know that since he had already cocked it and received a "P" the best thing to do would have been to complete the rifle string before re-staging it.

But under the circumstances, What's The Call?

Thanks

Randy

Stage calls for shotgun, pistol, rifle, pistol. Shooter shoots shotgun, picks up and levers rifle before TO can stop him, fires 1 rifle round hitting 1st rifle target, with action still closed, hammer down on spent round , re-stages rifle in original starting position, draws and shoots 1st pistol (no misses), holsters pistol, retrieves rifle and completes rifle sequence (no misses), re-stages rifle and completes course of fire with 2nd pistol (no misses).

I know the shooter gets a Procedural for shooting the rifle out of order, and I know that since he had already cocked it and received a "P" the best thing to do would have been to complete the rifle string before re-staging it.

But under the circumstances, What's The Call?

Thanks

Randy

From the RO1 manual, pg 17:

Rifle

Safe to leave the shooters hands.

Empty, action open

Hammer fully down on an empty chamber or spent round, action

closed

(restaged for further use)

No further call than the "P".

From the RO1 manual, pg 17:

Rifle

Safe to leave the shooters hands.

• Empty, action open

• Hammer fully down on an empty chamber or spent round, action

closed

(restaged for further use)

No further call than the "P".

Yep, just a P

Jefro :ph34r:

No further call beyond the "P". The shooter could have either finished the rifle string or did just what he did. Either way is safe and within the rules.

Hey Randy,

So far we all agree. Wow! You think this will continue?

Regards,

Allie Mo

Allie, I'm amazed there is so much agreement. I'm hoping PaleWolf will jump in and agree as well, several of us had a big discussion about this yesterday. Thanks to you and everyone else who replied.

Randy

You been quoted chapter and verse why you need PWB to chime in? It is a P will always be a P so what more is there to it.

You been quoted chapter and verse why you need PWB to chime in? It is a P will always be a P so what more is there to it.

Blackey, as I stated in the original post I know it is a "P" and I don't expect that to change. The question in the discussion with others at the range concerned additional penalties (which by the way I don't believe there are).

Thanks

Randy

Randy,

I have it by a good source, PWB hisownself ;), that if there is agreement (not his exact words), he doesn't feel a need to jump in. Here you've got concensus and the rule.

Of course, I've been wrong before. ;)

Regards,

Allie Mo :)

Allie, and once again to everyone who replied thanks.

Randy

Move along...move along.....situation contained....nothing to see here.

GG ~ :FlagAm:

Aha... must be one of those Jedi Gunfighter sayings... I think I've heard that before. :lol:

Alternative?

Fire the rifle round in a safe location down range.

Restage the rifle.

When rifle is retrieved at the correct time, load one round and shoot rifle string?

Alternative?

Restage the rifle.

When rifle is retrieved at the correct time, load one round and shoot rifle string?

Not a wise alternative, you still get a P for shooting the rifle out of order, and a Miss for the round you shot in the dirt. You cannot load a round to make up for a shot fired, only one that has been ejected or is defective, "as in bad primer no bang" Good Luck

RO I page 16

9. If a firearm is shot out of sequence or from the wrong position or location, the shooter will be awarded a single procedural penalty.

This does not mean a shooter may reload a rifle or revolver at any other time to make up a miss. Unfired ejected rifle rounds may be replaced.

Jefro :ph34r: Relax-Enjoy

Alternative?

Restage the rifle.

YES...that is an option.

Not a wise alternative, you still get a P for shooting the rifle out of order, and a Miss for the round you shot in the dirt. You cannot load a round to make up for a shot fired, only one that has been ejected or is defective, "as in bad primer no bang" Good Luck

RO I page 16

9. If a firearm is shot out of sequence or from the wrong position or location, the shooter will be awarded a single procedural penalty.

This does not mean a shooter may reload a rifle or revolver at any other time to make up a miss. Unfired ejected rifle rounds may be replaced.

The middle section of that rule is relevant in this situation.

Shooter MAY reload to negate the miss in that scenario (same as with a revolver)

(revolver thread- see post #10)

In this situation, if the shooter elects or is forced to miss an appropriate target due to unsafe angles or target availability, a round may be reloaded to avoid a miss penalty (the dreaded “Double Jeopardy” of a procedure and miss).

This does not mean a shooter may reload a rifle or revolver at any other time to make up a miss.

YES...that is an option.

The middle section of that rule is relevant in this situation.

Shooter MAY reload to negate the miss in that scenario (same as with a revolver)

(revolver thread- see post #10)

Roger that, I thought in the OP the target was avaible therefore this section would not apply. Thanks

In this situation, if the shooter elects or is forced to miss an appropriate target due to unsafe angles or target availability, a round may be reloaded to avoid a miss penalty (the dreaded Double Jeopardy of a procedure and miss).

This does not mean a shooter may reload a rifle or revolver at any other time to make up a miss.

From post #10 of the Pistol Thread

If the shooter MISSES a pistol target with the mandatory shot (either by choice or for any other reason) s/he has the option to replace that round & negate the miss (even if pistol targets were available).

There is no advantage to missing & having to replace the round.

Jefro :ph34r:

However, for style point, and to avoid the P, if the shooter realized that he had cocked the rifle at the wrong time, the shooter could have opened the action, held the rifle safely in one hand and fired the first pistol duelist style, re holstered, put the rifle back to his shoulder, fired off the rounds in the rifle, reloaded the ejected one and kept on going.

Before you chime in about two loaded guns, the rule is two loaded Revolvers.

Hello Randy!! You already knew the answer on this and got some good clarification. Whatever you do though don't ask anything about a "sweep" :ph34r:;) .

I won't make the Tennessee State match but will be down there for the annual Gunfight in Dixie! Might see you and the rest of the boys then!

Colt

However, for style point, and to avoid the P, if the shooter realized that he had cocked the rifle at the wrong time, the shooter could have opened the action, held the rifle safely in one hand and fired the first pistol duelist style, re holstered, put the rifle back to his shoulder, fired off the rounds in the rifle, reloaded the ejected one and kept on going.

Before you chime in about two loaded guns, the rule is two loaded Revolvers.

So as a double duelist myself, I could save transition time in the future on pistol then rifle strings by finishing with my first pistol, holstering it and picking up both my second pistol and rifle at the same time? :wacko:

So as a double duelist myself, I could save transition time in the future on pistol then rifle strings by finishing with my first pistol, holstering it and picking up both my second pistol and rifle at the same time? :wacko:

Yes!!...It's quite a time saving maneuver and the norm in these parts!!

Although you must keep one foot off the ground...this is called the Transitional Counter-Balance Stance or the TCBS.

If performed correctly the extra weight of the rifle will not cause you to gradually bend forward, missing targets and finally shooting yourself in the toe!!

This will help you greatly

Please post vidios

BH :wacko:

Hello Randy!! You already knew the answer on this and got some good clarification. Whatever you do though don't ask anything about a "sweep" :ph34r:;) .

I won't make the Tennessee State match but will be down there for the annual Gunfight in Dixie! Might see you and the rest of the boys then!

Colt

Colt, sorry you'll miss the TN. State, I'll miss the Gunfight in Dixie due to going to the US Open. I never mention sweeps, everytime I say sweep, my wife puts a broom in my hand.

Maybe we can shoot together soon.

Randy

Archived