SASS Wire Forum

WB question on 97 magazine

What is the preferred method of altering a Take-Down Model 97 shotgun so the magazine will hold 6 rounds?

My 97 lacks just under 1/4 inch of taking 6 rounds in the magazine. My solid frame loads 6 rounds without any problem.

Do I shorten the magazine spring?

Shorten the mag follower?

Create special slightly underlength loaded rounds?

Or some other special modification to another part?

Thanks in advance for any and all suggestions,

Kid Kneestone

I use Wild Bodie Toms spring & follower kit in both my Win Takedown 97's and both my Norinco 97's. Allows 6 of any shotshell.

I use Wild Bodie Toms spring & follower kit in both my Win Takedown 97's and both my Norinco 97's. Allows 6 of any shotshell.

Yep, I now use Wild Bodie Tom's Kit in the '97s I build and they seem work very well. Kit has a replacement spring and a customized, aluminum follower. I buy them in quantities, so I'm not certain, but I think the retail package comes with instructions. Long Hunter sells them retail and I think Dillon Reloading now sells them (but they may not yet be in their catalog).

Or, I imagine you could buy direct from Bodie Tom ( wildbodietom@q.com = email, I think)

Take the spring out and see if the magazine will hold six without the spring. If it will, just trim off enough spring that the six shells will fit.

If the magazine won't hold six with no spring, you have to trim down the follower enough that the six shells will fit. You will probably have to trim the spring as well.

If you trim the follower, don't trim it any farther than the raised ridge. The two ridges guide the follower and the front one stops it at the proper location. If you trim off either ridge, the follower will bind (or not work at all).

Or, you can buy the kit and keep the original parts.

Some factory rounds are just a little bit shorter than others. Wish I could recall which brand we use to use to get 6 in the magazine. At your next shoot start asking and compare the rounds from other shooters.

I roll crimp all my shells now and do not have to worry about getting the 6 shells to fit.

Another big plug for Wild Bodie Tom's kit. He sold a bunch of them at our recent match and I've heard nothing but great reviews so far.

P.S. If you're writin' him a check anyway, I'd suggest adding a few $$$ and getting one of his slick 12 guage go/no-go guages. Handy little tool to make sure your hulls have all been resized correctly.

Not a good idea to cut the mag spring on a '97, the need a pretty stout spring to properly function. All you need a a spring for the Remington 870 Police model, drops right in, holds six and is $4 from Brownells or Midway.

Howling Mad, thanks for the info about the 870 spring. Springs are cheap so I didn't have any qualms about cutting the 97 spring.

BUT - Even if I took the spring completely out of my takedown 97, it wouldn't hold six unless I shortened the follower about quarter of an inch. And now it holds six and works fine with about 3" cut from the 60 year old spring!

Howling Mad, thanks for the info about the 870 spring. Springs are cheap so I didn't have any qualms about cutting the 97 spring.

BUT - Even if I took the spring completely out of my takedown 97, it wouldn't hold six unless I shortened the follower about quarter of an inch. And now it holds six and works fine with about 3" cut from the 60 year old spring!

60 Year old spring....you musta got that when you were about 20 or so....you know, before Smokeless was invented....lol.

KK

Cypress Sam, SASS #10915, on 07 June 2011 - 09:14 AM, said:

60 Year old spring....you musta got that when you were about 20 or so....you know, before Smokeless was invented....lol.

KK

Cypress Sam invented smokeless!!!

Every evening he'ed stuff his pipe with FF, light up, and plow the end off his pipe!!

After about a year, standing there in a pile of pipes, he said "ya know this stuff is smokeless".

It's amazing how someone that old keeps kickin my butt in gunfighter all the time!!

Experience that's it Experience!!

BH :lol:

Archived