SASS Wire Forum

time frame you have to keep a gun before selling

Trigger Mike

Is there a law regarding how long you have to own a gun before selling it? I ask as I have heard rumors of the ATF arresting folks for acting as a dealer because they did not own the gun over a certain period of time. I don't want to be one of those.

Is there a law regarding how long you have to own a gun before selling it? I ask as I have heard rumors of the ATF arresting folks for acting as a dealer because they did not own the gun over a certain period of time. I don't want to be one of those.

If you purchase a gun with a Curio and Relic license you must keep it for a year. That's all I'm aware of.

so normal folks don't have any limitations?

No . But if ATF got wind of someone buying and selling a lot of guns with a quick turnover and without an FFL, it would rouse their suspicions.

No . But if ATF got wind of someone buying and selling a lot of guns with a quick turnover and without an FFL, it would rouse their suspicions.

When I was stationed at Dugway proving grounds in Utah back in the early '80's we bought, sold, traded guns all the time,so I hope the statue of limitations is up. :P:lol::D :D I did have a nice little 380 pass throw my hands 3 or 4 times that I wish I had kept.

What is this 'sell' of which you speak? :unsure: :unsure:

Boss Hoss Fly mentioned he wants a P38 and I have one I bought a short time back that is in the shop for repair and ifn they get it right I thought I would tell him more about it ifn it is legal. Once a gun goes bad on me, I try to make sure it is safe to sell mechanically and part with it. leaves a bad taste in me somehow. life's too short to keep guns you don't like.

Boss Hoss Fly mentioned he wants a P38 and I have one I bought a short time back that is in the shop for repair and ifn they get it right I thought I would tell him more about it ifn it is legal. Once a gun goes bad on me, I try to make sure it is safe to sell mechanically and part with it. leaves a bad taste in me somehow. life's too short to keep guns you don't like.

AND to not have guns you want!

Who is this Utah Bob in the picture? I don't recognize him. ^_^

Aunt Jen

Computer generated. ;)

Just checked my copy of the firearms Regs and couldn't find anything that stated how long you had to keep a firearm before selling.

So!

I called our local ATF agent and his response was: There is not a required amount of time to own a firearm before selling as long as the intent of originally buying the firearm was not sloely intended on selling it for a profit. He also stated that frequent purchases with quick turn around sales could be construed as engaging in the gun sales business without a license, and that would be against the law.

Also understand that it is only legal to sell a firearm to another resident of your state of residency without going through a FFL holder.

You can go to the ATF's site and request a free copy of the "Federal firearms Regulations Reference Guide". It is ATF Publication 5300.4. Towards the back of the book, it has the ATF offices for your area along with their phone numbers.

Hope this helps.

Dodge N Delaw

If you purchase a gun with a Curio and Relic license you must keep it for a year. That's all I'm aware of.

I tried looking for that Regulation or Law and couldn't find anything that stated that. Could you direct me to that that Law Bob so as I could stay Legal and All. Just hoping that they didn't slip in some Law when I was snoozing or not paying attention. :D Thanks

Guest Tennessee Stud, SASS# 43634 Life
time frame you have to keep a gun before selling

I always keep a gun 'til 10:30am...

ts

Archived