SASS Wire Forum

I love happy endings.

Subdeacon Joe

SSgt On Leave Foils Bank Job

A buff Army sergeant has been honored by cops in Florida for foiling a bank robbery while on vacation with his family.

Staff Sgt. Eddie Peoples, 34, was at a Bank of America in Sarasota Tuesday before a fishing trip with his two sons when a gunman walked in and demanded cash from the tellers.

The robber nervously eyed the thick-necked Peoples and pointed his pistol at him, warning the "big black guy" not to be a hero, the Sarasota Herald-Tribune reported.

The decorated Iraq vet played it cool until the thug pointed the gun at his son, telling customers not to try anything "or the kid will get it," the newspaper reported.

"When he threatened my son, I could not let that pass," Peoples said.

Peoples said he followed the thief out of the bank, hopped in his rental van and pulled in front of the man's green Honda, blocking his escape.

After ramming the van several times, the thief got out of his car and stuck the gun in Peoples' face.

But the soldier quickly snatched the weapon and slammed the thug on the ground, holding him down until deputies arrived.

Cops identified the robber as Matthew Rogers, 34, a local bum with a history of burglary, thefts and reckless driving. The gun turned out to be a toy.

Peoples, who is on leave from his base in Italy, chalked up his heroics to his martial arts training and experience battling terrorist thugs across the Middle East.

"I've been through five deployments," he told Fox Tampa Bay. "I've fought the Muqtada militia, everybody you can think of, so weapons getting pointed at me, it doesn't really bother me anymore."

The Sarasota Sheriff's Office gave People's a certificate of recognition at a news conference on Wednesday.

He's scheduled to return to Italy later this month.

:D:D:D

Stories like this just touch my heart.

We need more Peoples! :FlagAm:

Archived