SASS Wire Forum

Setting Lee dies for crimp on 45 Colt

Howdy -

Just reloaded my very first set of 45 Colt using a single stage Lee and the Lee carbide dies. I loaded 10 rounds with 205gr bullets and Trailboss powder, then headed for the range. Shot all 10 rounds in a pattern I could cover with my hand. Pretty cool!

Question though. I compare my rounds with ones I bought, and it looks like I'm not getting any crimp. What did I do wrong?

Howdy -

Just reloaded my very first set of 45 Colt using a single stage Lee and the Lee carbide dies. I loaded 10 rounds with 205gr bullets and Trailboss powder, then headed for the range. Shot all 10 rounds in a pattern I could cover with my hand. Pretty cool!

Question though. I compare my rounds with ones I bought, and it looks like I'm not getting any crimp. What did I do wrong?

Run the die further into the press, then back up the seating adjustment a little to compensate for the die being further into the press. You need to experiment with the die depth and seating adjustment for the best results. Yours. Nota John

Run the die further into the press, then back up the seating adjustment a little to compensate for the die being further into the press. You need to experiment with the die depth and seating adjustment for the best results. Yours. Nota John

I'll give it a try. Thanks

Not trying to be smart, but did you read the directions? Lee gives pretty good directions with their factory crimp die.

Read instructions that came with the dies, also the instructions in the ABC's of reloading. Also watched a couple of video clips on utube. Instructions are a bit vague on what setting does the crimp

Here's how to set up a seat/crimp die.

Start with the seating plug (center part) screwed waaaay down, and slowly advance the die in the press, seating yer bullet a little at a time, until ya get the proper depth, (edge of case mouth is at forward edge of crimp groove on bullet, just enough crimp groove showing to catch with a fingernail). Now, back the seating plug (center part) waaaay out, I mean almost falling out, and slowly advance the main part of the die until ya get a bit of resistance on the round, keep trying, advancing the die body a bit at a time, applying pressure with the press handle (make sure ya go all the way down with the handle each time) until ya get a crimp that looks about like factory ammo. Lock the lock ring on the outside of the die. The main die body is set. NOW, with the handle down all the way, round up in the die, advance the center part of the die until it bottoms against the bullet (this sets the seating depth). ALL DONE.

Once ya do it a few times, this process takes 3 minutes tops. If ya make a dummy round for that bullet (or set aside a loaded round), then next time ya load rounds with that same bullet, you can quickly readjust the seating depth by backing off the center plug, running the round into the press (handle held down), then adjust the seating plug until it touches the bullet.

Here's how to set up a seat/crimp die.

Start with the seating plug (center part) screwed waaaay down, and slowly advance the die in the press, seating yer bullet a little at a time, until ya get the proper depth, (edge of case mouth is at forward edge of crimp groove on bullet, just enough crimp groove showing to catch with a fingernail). Now, back the seating plug (center part) waaaay out, I mean almost falling out, and slowly advance the main part of the die until ya get a bit of resistance on the round, keep trying, advancing the die body a bit at a time, applying pressure with the press handle (make sure ya go all the way down with the handle each time) until ya get a crimp that looks about like factory ammo. Lock the lock ring on the outside of the die. The main die body is set. NOW, with the handle down all the way, round up in the die, advance the center part of the die until it bottoms against the bullet (this sets the seating depth). ALL DONE.

Once ya do it a few times, this process takes 3 minutes tops. If ya make a dummy round for that bullet (or set aside a loaded round), then next time ya load rounds with that same bullet, you can quickly readjust the seating depth by backing off the center plug, running the round into the press (handle held down), then adjust the seating plug until it touches the bullet.

I'll give it a try - thanks!

Seating the Lee combination Seating and Crimp die.

Start with a few clean and sized cases.

Place one case on the press (NO bullet)and run it all the way up with the Seating and Crimp die not engaging the case. Back out the seating plug. Now run the die down as far as you can finger tight. Lower the case and tighten one half turn. Run the case up in to the die. Look at the case and see how the crimp roll looks. If you need more, turn the die in another half turn. If you need less turn the die 1/4 urn up. Once you have a good crimp lock it in place.

Next take a round with a bullet in it and run it up in to all the way up in to the die. Turn the seating plug all the way down until it it finger tight. This give you the correct crimp and very close to the correct overall length.

You should only have to adjust the seating plug from this point on.

I have dummy rounds of all the calibers and various lengths that load to reset the Crimp and Seating die for different customer needs.

DDD, the gents have provided sufficient information to allow you to load the 45 Colt properly. Not mentioned:

* Lee Precision puts a piece of paper in each die set. Read all the information.

* You will note the Overall MAXIMUM length of a loaded round is 1.60". Set your seating die so the Overall Cartridge Length is between 1.590 to 1.595. Will allow proper chambering.

* Crimp Die: A way to determine a soft or hard crimp... put a loaded round in a kinetic bullet puller. 3-4 whacks on a lead ingot to dislodge the bullet = soft crimp. 8-10 whacks to dislodge the bullet = hard crimp

And remember, if you change to a different type of bullet, you will have to readjust the seating die to provide the proper Overall Length

Good Luck!

Archived