SASS Wire Forum

Remington 1889 10 Ga

I have an 1889 Remington 10 gauge double shotgun.

It has what might be called a stepped chamber? The chamber is of course larger than the bore, but the chamber ends abruptly with the step. Modern shotguns tend to taper from the chamber into the bore.

From the back of the barrels to the step the chamber measures 3.01" long. The old paper hulls with the small roll crimp were probably longer than modern crimped hulls can be.

My question is to what length should I cut the 10 ga Remington hulls to allow the crimp to open fully and not open into the bore? I am shooting only Goex 2F, not any smokeless in this old gal.

Thanks,

Doc McGee

Your shotgun has the old style forcing cones (which look more like a "step" in the bore) and was made

to shoot roll crimped shells.

That is, with the roll crimp opened up, the shell should not protrude any fartherinto the bore

than the end of the chamber.

Make a wood dowel that slides into the chamber but stops at the step where the chamber ends.

Mark on the dowel the length from the end of the chamber to the breech face (breech end of the barrels)

Cut your shells before you load them so they are no longer than this before you load them.

The old style forcing cones work well with card wad columns, but you can use either those or plastic once

you have your shells trimmed to the proper length.

Have fun. Old ten gauge hammer guns are a hoot to shoot!

Archived