SASS Wire Forum

Need Help I D ing Winchester age

Need some of you Winchesteer Experts to please help me out for a freind.

He has a good looking old 30-30 take down Serial # 1313xx

It has the checkered deluxe stock and says "30 wcf for smokeless powder" on the barrel.

Sorry, I do not how to post pics, but from the pic that I saw, it appears to be at least a 24" barrel.

Any ideas on age, and even worth possibly ?

Thank you kindly

Need some of you Winchesteer Experts to please help me out for a freind.

He has a good looking old 30-30 take down Serial # 1313xx

It has the checkered deluxe stock and says "30 wcf for smokeless powder" on the barrel.

Sorry, I do not how to post pics, but from the pic that I saw, it appears to be at least a 24" barrel.

Any ideas on age, and even worth possibly ?

Thank you kindly

I'll venture a guess

My book shows 1896 for the 94's in that range with a total production of 38213. Serial number range that year started at 106722. That would put it some where in late July possibly.

Stormy, get some good, closeup pictures and post here;

http://www.thefirearmsforum.com/forumdisplay.php?f=6

Not to dispute the learned Doc Brazos but I would venture a guess and say that he is pulling his numbers from the Madis book. There is a gentleman named Bert who posts regularly on that site who has access to the Cody records, and has written several books and articles on Winchesters. His research has shown there to be some descrepencies in what Madis wrote and the true factory records. Be sure and get good closeups of all the markings, noting any special features such as the takedown, etc.

Produced in 1898

Stormy,

Depending on the reference, the production date is anywhere from 1896-1898. The Cody Museum can usually supply you with a letter. They have records up to serial number 354,0000. As you know, value is dependent on condition and scarcity. Takedowns are usually worth more than a solid receiver as they were considered special order. If you are interested in doing a thorough investigation, a book by Arthur Pirkle entitled, "Winchester Lever Action Repeating Arms", Volume 3 is a good place to start. If he is still around, I can send you his telephone number, if you wish to speak to him.

I'll be calling you for an order shortly, but I'll wait til you finish Miz Rocky's order first.

Tex

Archived