SASS Wire Forum

Need an energy boost

I use to be a shooting nut, any kind of shooting and I loved to do it, especially Cowboy Shooting. Lately I have been in a real depression and find no enjoyment from shooting at all. My wife just bought me a 2 arm clay target thrower that will do rabbits and I have yet to go out and use it after 4 weeks. Anyone got some good advise? I've already beed to the doctor and his pills seem to make it worse.

HELP, I want to shoot again.

I an trying to think of something to help. I can not I have no experince with that. Just put one foot in front of the other and go at it now!!!

CCBA

Try gunsharp.I am going to try and get Orange to try it one shoot.Sure sounds like fun.

What I've seen in my old club and in 20 + years of registered skeet targets is that the guys that made sure they had a shoot EVERY Weekend as well as practice once or twice per week were the ones most likely to burn out and either quit or shift sports (to something completely different like motorcycling). I even approached that as I was shooting twice per week (practice) but only going to shoots say once every other month. Although a life member, I no longer shoot skeet even though I love the sport so I guess I did burn out. I'm taking SASS a little different. I shoot when and where I can. Sometimes only once per quarter maybe even four months apart and that is my practice. I don't burn out, but rather I yearn to go shooting and can't wait till the next time I'm able to attend a shoot. I load on a single stage press so I spend a lot of my "down time" reloading and taking care of my guns and gear. It's fun for me that way and never a dull moment. Sure that way I probably will never get into the winners circle, but I will be having fun and from the start I thought that's what it was all about. Smithy.

Depression is a medical condition and can't be cured by advice from friends. If your doctor is only giving you prescriptions that don't work you need to seek out another doc. It's nothing to mess around with. Put shooting on the back burner till you feel better.

Tell your doctor that you are not getting the desired results from the pills and ask him to try something else. There are many different types of depression medications and they all do not work for everyone.

Don't give up, just keep trying something different until you find the one that works for you, and then take them religously. It will make a difference and make life interesting again. You just have to find the right type of "happy pills."

Two Feathers

Depression is a medical condition and can't be cured by advice from friends.

Hey guys I hope my commentary was not taken incorrectly by its "non medical" approach. I too have been prescribed just about everything under the sun for depression, both for depression and as a secondary use of those drugs diabetic neuropathy so I've got the inside scoop on side effects for a Lot of them as well! But whether it was a family doctor or psychiatrist doing the prescribing, usually the first question is "What do you think is making you depressed?" or "Why do you think that you are depressed?". Meaning that depression for someone that wasn't born with it is a transitory event. It came upon them. It's temporary. And usually their drug prescriptions are temporary as well, just to get the person over the hurdle. As an example, say a person just lost a loved one and now they are depressed. They see a doctor. The doctor prescribes a medication until those depressed feelings subside and then the pills are done and no longer needed. Much the same it was with me. My skeet shooting was one of the things discussed in therapy during my "depression" and CAS shooting was also discussed as a part of my recovery so I was just mentioning the physical actions that accompanied my bout with depression. During that time I was tried on some medication but quickly pulled off due to BAD side effects of just about anything that I tried. Others mileage may vary (as often quoted here). I hope you the best and if that can occur with behavior modification or with medication so be it. A check with your Doc is in order as mentioned above in either case just to make sure you don't have compounding issues if nothing else. Or even just to get that clean bill of health (which would perk anyone up). Sorry I didn't divulge my own depression earlier, but I thought it not necessary. I was wrong. Smithy.

Depression is a medical condition and can't be cured by advice from friends. If your doctor is only giving you prescriptions that don't work you need to seek out another doc. It's nothing to mess around with. Put shooting on the back burner till you feel better.

Hey Pappy,

Great advice.

Take care,

Allie Mo

Blue Roan hit it on the head before I could post. As soon as you say you are feeling bad and don't care, everyone including doctors assume you are depressed. If you are not then the anti depression pills will make you feel worse. I was feeling the same way about 6 years ago. My wife would leave in the morning and I was in my recliner and when she returned that afternoon I was still there. If someone was to throw a bomb at my feet I would not move. After two different doctors my diabetes doctor had me take a MRI. My pituitary gland was flat instead of round. This gland is in the brain area of your head and it is what produces your male hormone testosterone. The normal level is 400-800 and mine was 100. I now have to take injections every 20 days but it worked. None of us are medical doctors that I am aware of and therefore go to a new doctor and ask for a good check up for your problems.

Blue Roan hit it on the head before I could post. As soon as you say you are feeling bad and don't care, everyone including doctors assume you are depressed. If you are not then the anti depression pills will make you feel worse. I was feeling the same way about 6 years ago. My wife would leave in the morning and I was in my recliner and when she returned that afternoon I was still there. If someone was to throw a bomb at my feet I would not move. After two different doctors my diabetes doctor had me take a MRI. My pituitary gland was flat instead of round. This gland is in the brain area of your head and it is what produces your male hormone testosterone. The normal level is 400-800 and mine was 100. I now have to take injections every 20 days but it worked. None of us are medical doctors that I am aware of and therefore go to a new doctor and ask for a good check up for your problems.

Perfect advice. Whether your depression is endocrinologically (biochemically) or psychologically induced, the best thing you can do for yourself and your loved ones is to consult a medical professional. Tell them what you're feeling and when it started. They will be able to best diagnose the problem and give you advice on what steps to take specifically to help YOU.

Best wishes,

Ck

Guest Paniolo Cowboy SASS #75875

Best advice is to get professional help. Depression is nothing to mess with.

+1

Yes depression can be a medical condition and much of the advice above is correct. I am not a doctor and could never give advice over the internet even if I was.

Now with that said - remeber the power of prayer. It has worked on it's own and has been a powerful supplement to treatment.

Take care pard...know and take comfort that there are people that care for ya and want the best for ya...

GG ~ :FlagAm:

I use to be a shooting nut, any kind of shooting and I loved to do it, especially Cowboy Shooting. Lately I have been in a real depression and find no enjoyment from shooting at all. My wife just bought me a 2 arm clay target thrower that will do rabbits and I have yet to go out and use it after 4 weeks. Anyone got some good advise? I've already beed to the doctor and his pills seem to make it worse.

HELP, I want to shoot again.

Maybe you should awaken you inner teacher.

Find someone you like and bring them into the world of shooting!!

Why keep all that knowledge to yourself.

Cowboy is great for that...FUN Factor!!

Kinda like Grand kids make Holidays a Hoot again!!

BH :D

Do this.

I saw a comercial on TV last night about low testosterone level. Have your doctor check it out. Blue Roan

And this.

My wife of 45 years has had a pretty bad year physically including a couple of surgeries and no amount/variety of pills and every test known to medicine seems to be solving several of her ailments-back pain and Fibro. She was very slowly getting a bit better but was still quite tired and was short of breath. Last Wed our doctor decided to try something different-he said outside the box thinking, he gave her a B12 shot. Almost an immediate improvement to her disposition, her stamina, and her shortness of breath improved. If this continues to work, she may be in for a regular dosage of B12 but for her it has worked so maybe talk to your doctor when other more traditional meds fail. B12 allows your blood to carry more oxygen and that helps a lot of things. Yesterday out of the blue, she surprised me and suggested she go shooting with me today. She did, had a great time and got a first place ribbon in her category.

Just get a good physical and a cardio stress test. Your symptoms kinda mirror mine...tired all the time and lack of interest in doing anything. Turned out that my LAD artery (google) was dang near plumb stopped up and escaped the big one by a hair. But the fatigue and depression wasn't endocrine, etc. it was because my heart couldn't get enough blood.

Just get a full check up from A-Z.

Archived