SASS Wire Forum

Winchester 97 Trap Model

At my local gun club an older member is selling off this gun. Owner claims it has been in his family since the early 1900s. I have not yet seen it, but I was wondering what I should be looking for when I inspect it.

Thanks in advance for any advice you may have.

The black diamond version was the top-of-the-line production 1897. This gun has black (ebony?) diamonds inlaid in the forearm and pistol grip. These guns were considered to be above normal.

If it is a standard version, then $1400 is for a 95% or better gun, hopefully a takedown with a Winchester case. A WWI combat model with the bayonet and in 85% condition might bring this kind of money.

Most 1897's in shooter grade run $400-$750. They made nearly a million of these guns over the 1897-1955 period.

The black diamonds are rare. Black Diamond stocks (Which are often extra fancy wood) alone can go for as $1400 (I have seen pigeon grade stocks (which also have black diamonds) go for as much as $2000. Take a look at the gun, if it actually is a black diamond in nice shape it could easily be worth $1400. Would I use a black diamond for SASS? Probably not, but I have seen an engraved black diamond 1887 used on the line.

To toot my own horn, I just bought a very clean (85-90% of blue remaining) 1913 mfg. 97 for $550.

A true trap model is pretty rare. I've only seen a few of them. They will say "Trap Gun" on the bolt visable from the port when the bolt is closed. Trap Models will also have a seen engraved on both sides of the reciever. The wood was extra fancy with no black diamonds in the wood. All of them were straight stocked guns as well. For $1,400.00 it better be all original and in real good shape. Trap Guns were diferent than Black Diamond models. One thing you have to remember about Winchester during this time period. They would build you anything you would pay for. So never say they never made a Trap Gun with black diamond wood or one with a pistol grip because you couls special order about anything.

If you get the gun post some pictures.

The black diamond version was the top-of-the-line production 1897.

Most 1897's in shooter grade run $400-$750. They made nearly a million of these guns over the 1897-1955 period.

Winchester made over a million 1897's. 1,024,700 from 1897-1957 with a out of catalog parts clean up into 1959. Trap.....Pigeon....Tournament grade guns. Just sayin'

Big Jake

In this economy, collector values on firearms have declined appreciably. Blue books are a point of reference only and rarely reflect actual negotiated prices.

Personally, I have a hard time seeing any model below Pigeon grade going for $1,000+ right now.

Archived