SASS Wire Forum

disassemble '73

OK, what's the secret in taking out the extractor pin? i've got it about half way out and now it won't budge. My punch may be a tad to big, don't think so but maybe. Then putting it back in once out. I have done it before but I ruined a couple of pins before finally getting it back in.

So, how do you'all get the "pin" out and back in.

OK, what's the secret in taking out the extractor pin? i've got it about half way out and now it won't budge. My punch may be a tad to big, don't think so but maybe. Then putting it back in once out. I have done it before but I ruined a couple of pins before finally getting it back in.

So, how do you'all get the "pin" out and back in.

Sometimes its a pain because they are put in, ground to match the round part of the bolt and then blued. Make sure your punch tip has no burrs or other defects and it should come out. It is .062 (1/16 inch) and made out of soft steel and often deforms or bends when coming out. I use RCBS decapping pins cut to length to make new extractor pins. Or you can just go to Ace, buy a 1/16" drill and cut off material from the shank. On the end you are going to start into the bolt put a very tiny bevel on the end (in other words just break the sharp 90 degree edges) so you don't have square material trying to go through the square edges of the extractor.

Archived