SASS Wire Forum

Tinitus

gunblade SASS #10206

Another thread on whether hearing protection is mandatory got me to wondering how some of you folks deal with your tinitus. I've had it in both ears for a long time and it doesn't bother me severly, but when I'm sitting out on the back deck early on a Sunday mornin' and it's dead calm outside, I wonder what it would be like to hear the silence.

I always get a kick when someone mentions how quiet it is. I have NEVER heard quiet. Have had this squeal since I can remember, I'm 53. Infact, the "quieter"it gets.... the louder it gets. I do hope it stops shortly after I pass on......if not, I just won't go... :P

Knarley

Mine started right after the July 4th that I was allowed to set off my own firecrackers. Not the big stuff, just Black Cats and such.

Been with me ever since.

Couple years ago I got a mild case of shingles that progressed up my right upper torso, shoulder and down my arm. Also went up my neck into my right ear. Lost another 10% to 15% of already bad hearing. Now I have ringing in both ears and a sound like a large farm tractor pulling a plow in my right ear. He's plowing over the next hill, but I can still hear the thrumming.

Didn't help that I liked loud two stroke motorcycles and shooting. Didn't wise and start using hearing protection until it was much too late.

NOW, I use them for everything, mowin the lawn, shootin, using my noisy woodworking equipment, runnin the shop vac...the list goes on....

Those little foam earplugs don't fit my ears very well. The left ear canal is so large that with the ear plug well inside my ear I still hafta push on it to get it to seal. Got me a set of the moulded earplugs at the convention a few years ago. Best investment I ever made for protecting my ears.

When I shoot under cover at some ranges I need both earmuffs and ear plugs. The Ear Doc says that the head bone behind my ear conducts the sound of the concussion from weapons fire directly into my ear.

Tinitus ain't fun, but there ain't no gettin rid of it once you've got it.

Sounds like we all have ways of dealing with it.

Doc McGee

Archived