SASS Wire Forum

RIP James Arness

Oh No, this will be a very sad day!

Thanks Matt, Job WELL DONE!

Here's the NYTimes obituary; he had 88 years:

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/06/04/arts/television/james-arness-marshal-on-gunsmoke-dies-at-88.html?hp

I knew, but had forgotten, that he and Peter Graves were brothers. Arness got the Matt Dillon role when the Duke turned it down and recommended him for it.

On TV he was a man a kid could aspire to be.

In real life he was badly wounded in Italy just after Anzio while fighting with the 3rd Infantry (Audie Murphy's unit) and discharged. The wounds bothered him the rest of his life.

Actually John Wayne recommended him for the Gunsmoke role, which he first turned down, then thankfully accepted the offer.

One of the good ones. A real hero. He will be missed.

:FlagAm: RIP, Mr. Arness. And, thank you. :FlagAm:

Guest Henry Horns SASS #19579L

RIP Mr. Arness.

You were always a favorite in whatever role you played.

You'll be in good company with Greeenriver.

Henry & Hazel

On TV he was a man a kid could aspire to be.

In real life he was badly wounded in Italy just after Anzio while fighting with the 3rd Infantry (Audie Murphy's unit) and discharged. The wounds bothered him the rest of his life.

Actually John Wayne recommended him for the Gunsmoke role, which he first turned down, then thankfully accepted the offer.

One of the good ones. A real hero. He will be missed.

;)

I remember watchin Gunsmoke with my parents on Sat. nights. My folks loved that show and never missed it. What a great western hero he portrayed. I heard he was a true gentleman in real life. Rest in peace Mr. Arness.

James was born, and raised in Minneaplois, MN where he and his family lived till WW2.

He'll be in good compay wif da Duke and Greeenriver ! :FlagAm:

James was born, and raised in Minneaplois, MN where he and his family lived till WW2.

He'll be in good compay wif da Duke and Greeenriver ! :FlagAm:

And his brother who preceded him, Peter Graves.

War hero, role model for several generations of young Americans, portrayed Matt Dillon for three decades... There was a MAN. I mourn his passing like I might a friend's. I hope he's hoisting a cold one right now with Dennis Weaver, Milburn Stone, Glenn Strange, Ken Curtis and of course, Amanda Blake.

PRESENT... ARMS!

He was amazing, but I have to tell you I was in love with his guns and his horse.. course I was a kid too.. lol... But I loved the show, and Chester was a hoot! I miss good TV westerns.

Rest In Peace, Matt... I never missed a show... Thank you for all that you did in a long and illustrious life time...

Vaya con Dios

Rest in Peace Marshall Matt Dillon. 20 years of enjoyment for millions of kids growing up in the 50's and 60's into the 70's. Being a big Norwegian myself, I always had a fondness for him and his brother Peter Graves who just passed last year. You guys were the best. YA SURE

Big Jake

Archived