SASS Wire Forum

SAD News!

Jack Houston # 35508

Not been a good day - I have written a few letters of appreciation over the years and even had a autographed picture sent to me about five years ago.

He was a treasure of influence - God rest Mr. James Arness...our Matt Dillon, US Marshal

http://www.jamesarness.com/

GG ~ :FlagAm:

I hate to hear that!!!

I put him up there with John Wayne!!

I recon he's back to riding the trail with the Duke.

Prayers up for Family and friends.

I'll still see him every day at 7:00 pm.

Thanks for all the Great roles.

Bad Hombre

-_- Ride easy, Mr. Dillon! Godspeed James Arness. Those of us who grew up watching you in "Hondo", "Island In The Sky", "Gunsmoke" and others greatly admired you and your performances. Though I never met you, I feel as if I knew you somehow. You were truly a BIG, BIG MAN! My heart is on the ground!

Your obdt servant,

Sad Sad to hear! grew up with Marshal Dillion, then with Zeb MacCahan, they have his hat and shirt from How the West was won at old Tucson, sounds like a great time for a trip down the road to see them. Then at 4p.m. the western channel has Gunsmoke on.

Ride easy Mr. Arness

Rafe :FlagAm:

Here is the message from Mr. Arness from his web site

Hi friends,

"I decided to write a letter to you for Janet to post on our website in the event I was no longer here.

I had a wonderful life and was blessed with some many loving people and great friends. The best part of my life was my family, especially my wife Janet. Many of you met her at Dodge City so you understand what a special person she is.

I wanted to take this time to thank all of you for the many years of being a fan of Gunsmoke, The Thing, How the West Was Won and all the other fun projects I was lucky enough to have been allowed to be a part of. I had the privilege of working with so many great actors over the years.

I was honored to have served in the army for my country. I was at Anzio during WWII and it makes you realize how very precious life is.

Thank you again for all the many letters, cards, emails and gifts we received from you over the years. You are and always have been truly appreciated."

Sincerely,

Jim Arness

:(

And he just had a birthday, last Saturday.

Interestingly, so did The Duke, Jay Silverheels, and JW Hardin. And Bill Hickock the next day. Heluva two days for cowboy fans.

we knew the day would come,,,we jus dint think it would come so soon :(

The studio asked Duke to play the Marshall, but he declined and suggested Arness for the part.

He attended a big ceremony to honor him by the city of Santa Clarita during the Cowboy Festival a few years ago.

Archived