SASS Wire Forum

GONNA NEED SOME SUGGESTIONS FOLKS.

Today, and the rest of the week end, promises to be a cracker jack day, weather wise.

That means one thing around the Badger Hole.

BAR B Q.

So I am taking suggestions on

Beef

Pok

Chicken

No Rabbit sez Ms. Badger.

It is hard to beat baby back ribs. Cooked to a tender fall off the bone.

A beef brisket slow cooked over coals makes your stomach growl. Mmmm good.

Chicken is good but best saved for when you don't have a lot of time to cook. You can have chicken any old time.

A real treat is to take half and half ground chuck and ground pork shoulder. Mix them together, season to taste (garlic, onion, celery salt, chipoltle seasoning, touch of sage) make em into generous patties and slow cook 'em. Or take your mixture, spread it out on a fairly large flank steak, roll the whole thing up, tie it like a trussed up branded calf and then smoke this until the center is cooked. Rolle' polsa. When cooked, slice thin and enjoy that with some homemade lefse. Lefse, buttered with cinnamon sugar. Sweat tea to drink and real vanilla ice cream for desert. Who said Nowegians didn't know how to cook?

I've even gotten to like ma's turkey burgers. Better for you but I'd rather eat a smoked turkey leg.

Like Bubba says, if it don't taste good, salt it and smoke it until it does then eat it.

Fred(I still miss Grandma's potato dumplings)Finagler

My dad has business cards printer up that said "I'd love to help you out, which way did you come in?"

I've been hankering for some good bratwurst.

My most memorable meal that I grilled is probably kabobs. Made steak kabobs and seafood kabobs. Steak ones had steak and veggies, seafood ones had shrimp and scallops and veggies. Sure was good eats.

I'm not much of a pork eater but a tri-tip, if you can get it or brisket if you can't is great smoked. Yum yum!!

Guest Kid Sopris, Regulator, #3290

Pork Ribs and Italian sausage.

What Whiskey Said!!!!

Let's go hunt up a gator and throw that on the grill.

Now that sounds richt exciting, richt there. Never had Gator

I got me a new gator shooting gun too. .

My dad has business cards printer up that said "I'd love to help you out, which way did you come in?"

I've been hankering for some good bratwurst.

My most memorable meal that I grilled is probably kabobs. Made steak kabobs and seafood kabobs. Steak ones had steak and veggies, seafood ones had shrimp and scallops and veggies. Sure was good eats.

Brats is good. Never tried seafood kabobs. Ma, get out the shrimp. It is Friday.

try to stay away from them racoons & possums this early in the season....

Gee Jake, this time of year is when they is tender and tasty.

Now that sounds richt exciting, richt there. Never had Gator

I got me a new gator shooting gun too. .

Brats is good. Never tried seafood kabobs. Ma, get out the shrimp. It is Friday.

Gee Jake, this time of year is when they is tender and tasty.

Them gators taste like chikken Badger---

Harder ta skin tho!!!!!

Guest Tennessee Stud, SASS# 43634 Life

Today, and the rest of the week end, promises to be a cracker jack day, weather wise.

BAR B Q.

Pok

The last time I heard "Pok" was involved... and I finished eatin' at a local Chinese restaurant... I suspected "cat".

It was real good... but had a real... stringy texture to it. I saved some for later use as "dental floss'... and to tune-up a guitar that I owned.

ts

Salt Encrusted Ribeye Roast !

This is a recipe for the oven but I've cooked 'em on the grill too - outstanding!

Salt Encrusted Ribeye Roast

Go ahead...try it...it REALLY works!

Prep: 15 minutes

Cook: 1-1/2 to 1-3/4 hours

Servings: Serves 6 - 8

4-6 lb. well-trimmed beef ribeye roast, small end

1 Tbsp. vegetable oil

2-3 tsp. cracked black pepper

Salt Crust:

1 box (3 lbs.) coarse kosher salt

1 1/4 cups water

Heat oven to 425°F. Line shallow roasting pan with heavy-duty aluminum foil. Combine salt crust ingredients; mix well. (Mixture may appear dry, but do not add additional water.)

In roasting pan, pat 1 1/2 cups salt mixture into a rectangular shape about 1/2 to 1 inch large than the size of the roast.

Brush roast with oil; press pepper evenly into surface. Insert ovenproof meat thermometer into thickest part of roast, not resting in fat; center roast on salt layer. Starting at base of roast, pack remaining salt mixture onto sides and top of roast to encase roast in salt. (Occasionally, some salt mixture may fall off exposing small areas of the roast. This will not affect cooking.)

Roast in 425°F oven approximately 1-1/2 to 1-3/4 hours for medium rare; 1-3/4 to 2 hours for medium doneness.

Transfer pan with roast to cooling rack; let stand uncovered, 15 minutes.

Remove and discard salt crust from roast, brushing off any remaining salt. Carve roast into 1/2-inch thick slices.

• Salt crust should be slightly thicker at the base of roast than at the top. Salt crust should be applied to roast just before roasting.

Bucky, if you'd leave out the 4-6 lb roast and put in a 4-6 lb gator tail, reduce the heat to about 350 and cook it for about an hour....you'd have yourself a real Cajun treat. Since Whiskey mentioned it, have her ease out your back door and shoot one of dem Cobb gators and dress it for ya!

Hope to see you and Whiskey up at Riverbend in the morning.

You could try coffee chicken. At the most basic, mix about 1/4 cup coarse salt and 1/4 cup fresh ground coffee, add a little olive oil to make a paste. Rub over and in chicken. Cook on indirect heat for an hour. A few TBS of brown sugar make a nice addition. Or molasses.

Pork shoulder, with just salt and pepper is good.

Given that the Badger is asking, I'm kind of surprised that no one has suggested weiners (as in hot dogs), and maybe grilled broccoli (heraldic pun there).

If you want to go meatless for a Friday, try rubbing some portabella mushroom caps with Tuscan-style italian dressing and grilling them.

Don't forget to throw some corn on the grill. And wedges of canteloupe.

OH! And boil up some small potatoes - red or yukon golds - just till barely done. Toss them on the grill to get some color on them. Toss with some really good olive oil, balsamic vinegar, kosher or sea salt, fresh cracked pepper, and some fresh thyme, rosemary, and oregano.

BAR B Q.

Beef

Pok

Chicken

Beef Ribs the size of a Brontosaurus please . . . . . with a little German potato salad and a large towel,

one bottle of Lagavulin, and one bag of ice with two aspirin (for the morning)!

SC

Bucky, if you'd leave out the 4-6 lb roast and put in a 4-6 lb gator tail, reduce the heat to about 350 and cook it for about an hour....you'd have yourself a real Cajun treat. Since Whiskey mentioned it, have her ease out your back door and shoot one of dem Cobb gators and dress it for ya!

Hope to see you and Whiskey up at Riverbend in the morning.

Never tried gator that way but sounds good! We do plan on being at River Bend tomorrow. If we are no shows it'll be due to my back mis-behaviing. Otherwise looking forward to tomorrow (but not the temps - gonna be hot - mid 90's).

Hmmm, I'm craving ribs for some reason....

Bucky

My wife always asks that type of question;

"Do you want beef, chicken or pork?"

I always answer; "Yes". :rolleyes:

As long as someone else is cooking, I'm eatin.

I heard my wife ask the same question. I said pork.

She said "I wasn't talking to you, dummy, I was asking the cat!"

:unsure:

I woke up at 5:oo a.m. this morning. Prepared a bonless hindquarter of venison and smoked it until about 30 minutes ago.

I smother the meat with garlic powder and onion powder then a layer of brown sugar.

Then I drape(criss/cross) a lb. of bacon over the meat, place in a glass casserole dish and pack brown sugar on the outer surface. Pour a bottle of terriki sauce in the pan along with about a half of a real coke. Smoke with real hickory wood or chips for about 8-10 hours at 210-220 degrees. For gosh sakes do not smack Granny. She will just smack you back.

BAR B Q.

Beef

Pok

Chicken

Beef is the breakfast of Champions.. with Garlic, onions, peppers, mushrooms, and more garlic.. lol

Just a short note...... cats are not good on the grill... they run.. lol

Dang it Deja, now I'm hungry again, and it's bedtime!

Grizzes was it the beef or t he cat?? Careful you know Allies Moses is watching.. lol

Beef is the breakfast of Champions.. with Garlic, onions, peppers, mushrooms, and more garlic.. lol

Boss Hoss sed something like that too. Only he was tawkin about DINNER. Didn't mention the onions, peppers, garlic, and mushrooms. Beef is good, but so is pok, and I suppose so is chicken, although I prefer my chicken fried in oil.

Crispy like. With mashed taters and gravy.

Pok goes good with beans

Beef goes good with taters.

They all go good with beer

If you want a quick bite to eat while waiting on those slow cooked ribs and brisket, this recipe for steaks is awesome. Usually the only thing I want on my steak is salt and pepper, but this is a worthy exception and wow is it tasty. It's a Steve Raichlen creation - he's da man behind a grill:

Caveman T-Bones With Hellfire Hot Sauce Serves4

How: Direct grilling

For the steaks:

4 T-bone steaks (10 to 12 ounces each), cut about 1 inch thick

Coarse salt (kosher or sea) and cracked black pepper

Forthe hellfire hot sauce:

1/2 cup extra-virgin olive oil

6 jalapeño peppers, thinly sliced crosswise

6 cloves garlic, thinly sliced

1/2 cup fresh cilantro leaves, coarsely chopped

1. Grill the steaks:Build a charcoal fire and rake the coals into an even layer. When the coalsglow orange, fan them with a newspaper or hair dryer to blow off any loose ash.

2. Generously, and Imean generously, season the steaks on both sides with salt and cracked pepper.Place the steaks directly on the embers about 2 inches apart. Grill untilcooked to taste, 4 to 6 minutes per side for medium-rare, turning with tongs.

3. Using tongs, lift thesteaks out of the fire, shaking each to dislodge any embers. Using a bastingbrush, brush off any loose ash and arrange the steaks on a platter. Let thesteaks rest loosely tented with aluminum foil, while you make the sauce.

4. Make the hellfire hotsauce: Heat the olive oil in a cast-iron skillet directly on the embers, on theside burner of a gas grill, or on the stove. When the oil is screaming hot, addthe jalapeños, garlic, and cilantro. Cook over high heat until the sauce isaromatic and the garlic is lightly browned, about 2 minutes. Immediately pourthe sauce over the steaks and serve at once.

Make your own sauce...don't use none of that syrupy sickly sweet stuff!

Yellow mustard, bunch in a bowl; slosh in some vinegar to thin it some; a couple spoonsful of brown sugar, just to take the edge off, and a couple shakes of tobasco. Vary proportions to taste. Experiment. Enjoy.

Archived