SASS Wire Forum

LANYARDS FOR 1911

Dead_Head

The Cimarron Wild Bunch 1911 has a loop on the butt of the pistol for a lanyard and one of the magazines has a loop on the base of it.

Has anyone seen a picture of how the magazine lanyard worked?

Anyone seen a picture of how the original pistol lanyard worked? Was it any different from the way they were in the 1970's for MP's, etc.?

As I recall there were lanyards used for both the pistol and mag. It was felt that the mag needed to be retained in combat to be reloaded. Dropping gun or mag from horseback would definitely be a problem. The army figured out it wasn't practical and discontinued the loop magazines.

I once saw a photo of a trooper with the Mexican Punitive Expedition wearing two lanyards but most photos show no lanyards being worn at all..

The 1905 lanyard was actually designed for the 38 revolver and the hook didn't fit the 1911 loop very well. It fit the mag loop better. It was re-designed in 1917 to better fit the pistol loop.

Thanks, Wylie!

I didn't think the whole loop would go over the head to the opposite shoulder like that.

I still wonder what the lanyard for the magazine looked like.

P.S. My hand is doing better, but still not healed. My ex-wife and daughter are talking about the cat visiting me again for three days the end of the month while they are on travel. I'm going to let them put "Princess" (aka "Gato de Diablo" to me) in the carrying case this time to avoid any more damage.

Archived