SASS Wire Forum

Hearing protection

Purly SASS # 57438

You are the TO, shooter comes to the line, you ask the shooter if he is ready. Shooter says yes. You ask shooter if he wants to put in their ear protection. The says no, he don't like to shoot with them in. Now what should you do, ask if they will put them in, or give them a standby and start the timer ?

I think that you have fullfilled your obligation by reminding the shooter. We're big boys and girls, and able to make uor own decisions, however wrong they may be. :blink:

Local club rules -- personally I think the club should require hearing protection, but if not, let the (soon to be deaf) shooter beware.

On the other hand, if they're less than 40 and single, they'll be deaf from going to a dance club, if not from going to a gun club -- maybe it's a wash.

You are the TO, shooter comes to the line, you ask the shooter if he is ready. Shooter says yes. You ask shooter if he wants to put in their ear protection. The says no, he don't like to shoot with them in. Now what should you do, ask if they will put them in, or give them a standby and start the timer ?

If they are adults, I'll ask them if they want to put them in.......if not, standby and the beep. If they are not adults, I'll tell them to put them in. Although I've never had a child/teenager refuse to wear ear protection, if they did I'd have to ask the parent(s) before letting them shoot.

I've been shooting since I was 5 and in the construction field since I was 17. I never wore ear protection in construction until I was about 40 and used little protection when shooting until I was about 35. The constant ringing in my ears now and the hearing loss that I have sustained was completely avoidable. If I only had used preventative measures.......... :(

People who refuse to wear hearing protection are either deaf or stupid.

And you can't fix stupid. <_<

You can't fix deaf either. You can help it a bit with hearing aids but once it's gone, it's gone. And yes, both of mine are turned up high right now.

Purly.

I understand that as an adult you can make your own decisions, however, I as a T/O will not start the timer unless the shooter puts in their hearing protection.

A number of years ago I had a shooter come to the line without their hearing protection in, I asked them to put them in their ears, their reply was, but I am deaf. My reply (since I was the berm marshall at a state match) was if you do not put your hearing protection in, you do not shoot this stage.

Like your vision, your hearing is far too important not to protect. IMHO.

B)

Like most of us I’m paying the price for all the youthful indiscretion surrounding neglecting hearing protection. We didn’t know what muffs were

And ear plugs were for sissies, no mucho guy would be caught wearing them.

Couple that with Uncle Sam’s insistence that I play with really big guns and conversations are very interesting around here.

I wear custom molded ear plugs from the minute the line goes hot until I’m sure the last round is fired. On the target range I wear both the plugs and muffs, I even wear a pair of Walkers Game Ears when hunting.

I intend to keep what little hearing I have left.

I hate to call people names but anyone who doesn’t wear hearing protection is a fool, and as far as a child they would not be allowed to shoot without hearing protection no matter what the parent said

As my Drill Sergeant once told me, "Ignorance is curable, stupidity can be terminal."

What! Speak up, I can't hear you.....

kk

Hearing protection is highly recommended and eye protection is mandatory in and around the

shooting areas. While small, period glasses look great, full protection, high impact glasses

are strongly recommended. Such protection is recommended for everyone when in the range

area, and eye protection is mandatory for spectators when within direct line of sight of steel

targets.

Howdy

That's the rule. So according to SASS, ear protection ain't required.

On the other hand, many clubs require both eye protection and ear protection. Local rules always over ride standard SASS rules in cases like this.

So if the club says both are required, then it is mandatory.

If not, you are making up your own rules.

I have worn hearing aids since 1969 (measles). I wear them from the moment that I wake up till I go to sleep. I have a cat with claws for an alarm clock. She is real good at waking me up at the proper time (5:30AM). Cat claw in the back or butt is a wonderful way to start the day. BUT, seriouly, my newest aids just cost me $7,900. Yes, I know there are cheaper aids out there but you have to buy what works for you. I have a setting on my new aids just for shooting. It stops the noises that cause the ringing that you hear.

Purly.

I understand that as an adult you can make your own decisions, however, I as a T/O will not start the timer unless the shooter puts in their hearing protection.

A number of years ago I had a shooter come to the line without their hearing protection in, I asked them to put them in their ears, their reply was, but I am deaf. My reply (since I was the berm marshall at a state match) was if you do not put your hearing protection in, you do not shoot this stage.

B)

If neither SASS nor local range rules required hearing protection, how could you refuse the shooter to shoot the stage? Would the MD back you up and refund the shooter his entry fee? How about the other TOs and berm marshalls who allowed him to shoot. Could he request another TO?

I wear hearing protection at all times at the range. With that said, there is no SASS rule requiring hearing protection (although highly recommended) for an adult, juniors have to wear hearing protection. If a range does not mandate hearing protection (and many smartly do require hearing protection) how can an RO refuse to start a shooter on a stage without hearing protection?

I think that you have fullfilled your obligation by reminding the shooter. We're big boys and girls, and able to make uor own decisions, however wrong they may be. :blink:

In this case - ditto..

GG ~ :FlagAm:

Guest Kid Sopris, Regulator, #3290

Hearing Aids? Is that something you get from "Unprotected Activity" ?

If there are no rules requiring it at the range or club, there is not much you can do. Just make sure to turn the buzzer up, cause pretty soon the guy won't be able to hear it! This is truly a case of "you can lead a horse to water but you can't make him drink."

Turkey Creek Red, can/will you answer my question please?

I would think you could request another T O anytime. By the way, the shooter showed up today with ear protection and used it.

I was one of those who did not wear hearing protection when I first started shooting cas just a couple of years ago. I already had some hearing loss from years of loud car audio work and from factory working. My reasoning was that I was afraid I would not be able to hear a command from the RO if I was wearing ear plugs. It didnt take me long to realize I couldnt hear them anyways once I was in the zone shooting. So I have been wearing them for the last 2 years or so

If neither SASS nor local range rules required hearing protection, how could you refuse the shooter to shoot the stage? Would the MD back you up and refund the shooter his entry fee? How about the other TOs and berm marshalls who allowed him to shoot. Could he request another TO?

A shooter always has the right to appeal to the MD. I would probably back the shooter in this case if there were no local range rules -- he is a big boy. Fortunately I never have to make that decision, because our parent range wisely requires eyes and ears.

Purly.

B)

So how did this deaf guy hear you tell him to put them in???????

BH :blink:

Archived