SASS Wire Forum

Unexpected results, pushing the "comfort zone"

As I've posted before, at the end of last year a pard suggested we try shooting "Outlaw" (shotgun and pistols from the hip, rifle shot using sights). One stage and I was hooked.

For a variety of (health) reasons, I've only shot twice this year so far, a total of 11 stages. I shot all of 10 of those, and part of the 11th, "outlaw". On one stage Saturday, which featured 2 "lollipop" clays on stcks and two bird throwers, my SG was BAD, using 6 shots to get the lollipops and two misses starting into the bird throwers. realizing I was gonna run out of shells, I reverted to using the sights, cleaned the bird throwers handily (dusted the aerials, unusual for me), then figured I was so far buried for time after 12 rounds of SG, I'd shoot duelist for the pistols.

As I threw the first pistol up, scarcely aware of the sights, it felt SO EASY to clean the pistol targets, which were 16" targets at normal or slightly long main match SASS range. Gone was any sense of concentrating on the pistols as I had done for the previous 2 or 3 years shooting duelist.

It occurs to me now that the unexpected benefit gained from working loutside my comfort zone as I try to become proficient shooting Outlaw was that when I revert to Duelist, THAT is no longer my "most difficult" method, and there is an added bit of confidence when using the sights.

So MAYBE anybody wanting to improve in their current shooting style, but feeling like they've hit a wall in their progress, might gain something by trying a different shooting style beyond their comfort zone. If you shoot two hands, try duelist, if you shoot duelist, try Outlaw or double duelist..... Then when ya go back to your current style, you'll likely be amazed how different it feels.....

I'm not sure how or why this works, but it sure seems to have worked for me.

I'm still gonnna perfect my Outlaw style, but when I revert to duelist, I know good things await.

Thanks pard - I'm always learnin' somethin' new with my shooting.

Keep progressing ~ it makes the game FUN! Oh heck, it can be FUN when not progressing.

The only thing that gets me down is when equipment isn't functioning ~ but again, the FUN is still there....just gotta open your eyes a bit more to realizing - "I'm havin' FUN'"

:lol: Did that make any sense...

GG ~ :FlagAm:

Thanks pard - I'm always learnin' somethin' new with my shooting.

Keep progressing ~ it makes the game FUN! Oh heck, it can be FUN when not progressing.

The only thing that gets me down is when equipment isn't functioning ~ but again, the FUN is still there....just gotta open your eyes a bit more to realizing - "I'm havin' FUN'"

:lol: Did that make any sense...

GG ~ :FlagAm:

You musta got the memo from the first stage I shot in VT Saturday. First gun was the rifle, my new to me Codymatic '73. First round FTF. Instinctively I thumbed the hammer and tried again, no go. RO says "reshoot", and sends me off to ULT. I gave both the strain screw and the mainspring screw a twist, reloaded and tried again. All fixee. I commented to the RO "They told me when I bought a '73, my gun problems were over. They lied." But it don't BOTHER me. I got over being bothered by gun issues long ago. Like ya said, ya just gotta dig deeper to find the fun. Oh, BTW, the 73 is fine now, and I'm getting used to it. I think I like it :)

I've noticed a similar thing recently. I decided to try shooting BP, and ended up shooting 4 or 5 matches in a row with it. A couple weeks ago I shot a match with smokeless again, and ended up with one of the fastest matches I've ever shot. It just seemed so much easier than before now that I wasn't struggling to see the targets through smoke and had a clear view of all the targets. So I totally agree with you, I think doing something different or more difficult can definitely give you another perspective on your original shooting style and help you improve.

Archived