SASS Wire Forum

Military Humor

It always amazed me what guys will do to keep their sanity under less than ideal conditions. :D:FlagAm:

Ahh the stories I could tell. :lol:

There was something in the news in the last month or so about DARPA shelving development of a mechanical walking "mule" due to problems in testing ( the article seemed to hint at failed actual combat testing) at the end of it it said the army was looking into training real mule skinners for the first time in decades citing a need in current combat environments. I do wonder about a new recruit who was told by his recruiter that he would be shoo in for IT training and be trained for a good job when he got out only to find he would be a mule skinner! :wacko::blink:

What's wrong with mule skinners? My girlfriend is in a mule skinner post. Btw I barely know what a mule skinner is. lol

A friend of mine in the army told me they commandeered a mule and wagon and turned it into a "Mexican Humvee". They mounted a 50cal in the wagon and had one of their injured guys ride it back to base while the others hoofed it back. I think he said that they're Humvee got hit and they had to improvise.

There was something in the news in the last month or so about DARPA shelving development of a mechanical walking "mule" due to problems in testing ( the article seemed to hint at failed actual combat testing) at the end of it it said the army was looking into training real mule skinners for the first time in decades citing a need in current combat environments. I do wonder about a new recruit who was told by his recruiter that he would be shoo in for IT training and be trained for a good job when he got out only to find he would be a mule skinner! :wacko::blink:

Actually, some of the higher-speed, lower-drag elements of the Army and Marines have been training with and using horses and mules in Afghanistan from very early in the campaign.

Amazing I guess the article I read in the dentist's waiting room was either behind the times or in a really old magazine.... I wonder if they copied the pack frames from times gone by as seen in various military museums or went high tech with carbon fiber... I will do a bit of googling.... surprised that a 'human interest' story like this does not get more press

Actually, some of the higher-speed, lower-drag elements of the Army and Marines have been training with and using horses and mules in Afghanistan from very early in the campaign.

Yup. This is a very good read.

Archived