SASS Wire Forum

Opinion: Plastic or fiber wads for BP shotshell?

Wagon Box Willy

Lots of good info here. Since my tact is slightly different than those posted, I'll throw it out there.

I use fiber. Specifically, pre lubed fiber ONLY. No over powder, over shot, over hill or under dale. Star crimped plastic hulls. In long forcing cone guns. I'm pretty sure some naysayer, book reader fella is gonna say the lube is gonna migrate or my patterns are gonna be crap or whatever and have a great explanation. Did/do I experience all these problems? Not so much. I've used this technique(for CAS) since the mid 90's. I have loaded ammo from 5+ years ago(the wife/boy don't shoot at all anymore) that have no problem with migration of lube. I use an ounce for my boy and the wife and a roughly equivalent volume load of powder and adjust the wad/crimp as necessary. When I shoot Pale Rider, 1 1/8oz. and the minimum powder (plus whatever it takes to get a good crimp). Fiber wads can be split real easy so if you need one and a half of the prelubed wads for a good crimp(about the usual) split a handful with a sharp knife. I load on a....wait for it...progressive press too.

Patterns? Seriously? For CAS? My guns with these loads at CAS distances will make a nice big hole in the cardboard and all but one is cylinder bore.

Cleanup is done at the range. A good coupla squirts of windex and 2 smokeless loads. Spray the bore with Barricade and head for the cooler with the smokeless shooters :blush:

Archived