SASS Wire Forum

Trivia...

BSD's thread on Single Actions for concealed carry got me thinkin' and wonderin' (not enough coffee yet this mornin')...

What revolver did Sgt Joe Friday carry~? Anyone know without lookin' it up? :rolleyes:

Oh heck... cheatin's okay - look it up~! ^_^

BSD's thread on Single Actions for concealed carry got me thinkin' and wonderin' (not enough coffee yet this mornin')...

What revolver did Sgt Joe Friday carry~? Anyone know without lookin' it up? :rolleyes:

Oh heck... cheatin's okay - look it up~! ^_^

with out l ooking (cheeting) i thinks it was a little .38 of some kind havent talked to joe in a long time.

Actually, I think there's a bit more, Barney... :rolleyes:

But for now if ya want to have some fun y'all can listen to the original radio series - I particularly enjoyed the early ones! For some reason they start with Episode 2, but they're very well done, especially considering the timeframe:

Dragnet

In 1950 Smith & Wesson representatives attended the annual conference of the International Association of Chiefs of Police and unveiled a 2 inch barreled .38 Special 5 shot revolver manufactured on their smaller “J” frame. They surveyed the attendees to come up with a name for the new handgun and the “Chief’s Special” was born.

This compact revolver became an instant hit with administrative personnel and plain clothes detectives.

Eventually Dragnet’s Sgt. Joe Friday traded in his 4 inch Model 10 for a Chief’s Special. This later became the model 36 and in the late 1960’s they introduced the Chief’s Special as an all stainless steel handgun catalogued as the model 60.

Airweight models made with aluminum frames were tried but unfortunately, the aluminum could not hold up to anything more than occasional use and they were eventually discontinued due to lack of consumer interest.

And there ya have it~! ^_^

Archived