SASS Wire Forum

Reverse index pawl for New Model Blackhawk?

I recently purchased a pair of Ruger New Model Blackhawks in .357. Unlike other, older Blackhawks I own, these do not have the reverse index pawl (is that the proper term?). Having the reverse index makes loading and unloading a lot easier, so I am wondering if this is something that can be easily retrofitted to my new Blackhawks?

Kid Latham

Well the easiest setup is to just totally free-spin it. At that point there's no "clicks" at all, it just goes silky smooth in either direction once the loading gate is open. Cost is basically zero, you modify the pawl slightly.

If on the other hand you want to be able to go to half-cock and get the chambers to "click" in the middle of the loading gate, you need to talk to Ron Powers about his half-cock conversion hammers for New Models. Best case, order a matched set of hammer and trigger, and you'll get what amounts to a high-end trigger job at the same time that you bolt in yourself without having to ship the gun anywhere. Cost is...high - up near $175 or so but...well, considering a good trigger job is $125ish and you have to pay to ship the gun both ways, it actually starts to look good in comparison.

http://www.powercustom.com/

NOTE: SASS recently legalized installation of SuperBlackhawk hammers "or similar". Rumor has it Ron is going to start shipping SBH-clone hammers set up the same way as his current standard and Bisley type hammers. I don't know if they're on his website yet but if not, I'd recommend calling and asking if you want an SBH-pattern hammer in case they're in production.

I know the new style vaquero's have a allen head screw that you take out for cylinder to spin in either direction, not sure if the blackhawks have this or not. Cock the hammer and look toward the top on left side, you should see a very tiny allen head screw, take this out with the spring, have never done this so not sure what is in there, don't lose any of it in case you want to go back, but then you will have cylinder going both ways when loading gate is open, read about this over in CasCity, from what I have read the people that did this was very happy with it

All for now JD Trampas

I suspect the reverse pawl was taken out as this is a very common mod. If you wish to convert back, call Ruger and the will probably send you the parts free. Good luck

McKenzie

Archived