SASS Wire Forum

Mass pards check in please

Iron Pony

Need to have a role call from our pards in Mass after yesterday evenings tornado, apple sized hail, 60+ MPH winds. How you all doing?

I am okay. The activity was well south and west of where I live. Even so, it was quite a nasty storm. I hope everyone is okay.

Thanks for thinking of us, Iron.

Howdy Pony

It got a little bit scary here for a while. I was watching the weather and the radar from about 4:00PM until after nightfall. One of the cells that was heading our way was showing some rotation. But it passed to the south, and I don't believe any funnels came out of it. Mrs Johnson was on Route 128 and said she had never seen such a light show.

On a humorous note, at one point I heard some kind of horn sounding off to the north. I have never heard a tornado warning and I popped my head out the front door and a lot of the neighbors were doing the same. We weren't sure what we were hearing, but we were pretty sure the storm was passing to the south. Anyway, about five minutes later I heard the same horn a lot closer. I should have recognized the horn on a diesel locomotive.

Anyway, it was pretty bad in Springfield, the thing lifted the water right out of the Connecticut River and went right across the bridge I take to West Springfield when I go to the Big E. A tractor trailer was overturned at one edge of the bridge. There was a lot of damage and four deaths are being reported through out the Commonwealth.

I was wondering about them as well. Kinda unusual for up there, isn't it????????

Well, this ain't the midwest, but we do get them on occasion. A few years ago one flattened the fairgrounds in Great Barrington. One person was killed in that one. In 1953 the Worcester Tornado killed 90 people. It was on the ground for almost 90 minutes and traveled over 40 miles. Some are saying it would have been rated as an F4 or F5 today.

I read somewhere years ago that on average we have one per year. Last night was pretty unusual, the reports are not all in yet on how many touched down.

P.S. Make that 2-3 touch down here on average.

HK, Driftwood glad to hear you two are ok. I've sent an email to Barrister Bill to see if the ghost riders need any special help at the range for the tri-state, no response yet so I would imagine he and the crew are out there doing prep work.

Lots of rain here, lightning etc but nowhere near the winds etc they were calling for. This is two tordano warnings for me in the last week, first up at St. J's last Thursday then this.

Loophole, Yankee, Chuck Would etc you guys all OK?

Hey Pony

The tornado bypassed out town but did some damage in Monson which is not that far away. I've been through a hurricane, earthquake, two floods and now a tornado. Hope I never see a Tsunami :mellow:

See you at the Tri-State this weekend

~:Wylie:~

Archived