SASS Wire Forum

loads for 45LC

Buckwheat Jack

I would like information on some good loads for 45LC using a 200 grain RFP bullet. I want to use it in a H&R Classic Carbine for moderately long range. I know you can't post charges, so messages will be great.

I would like information on some good loads for 45LC using a 200 grain RFP bullet. I want to use it in a H&R Classic Carbine for moderately long range. I know you can't post charges, so messages will be great.

Normally, I use a published minimum of Trail Boss with that bullet for my .45 Colt loads. I run it through 3 Colts, one each of 4-3/4, 5-1/2 and 7-1/2 barrells, an Uberti Scofield, an AWA Lightning, and an ASM 92. Have good accuracy and pleasant shooting in all of those guns at normal SASS distances.

I have not really tried it at much long range stuff, so I can't say how it would work. But, it might be a good place to start.

Check out www.imrpowder.com for a listing of many loads using several different powders. You may find one that works very well.

One person's "moderately long range" might be someone else's notion of short range. One thing I have found is that heavier, longer bullets tend to work better at long range. I would use 250gr when I shot long range but 200 for main match in the .45 lever rifle.

I am curious about one thing with your rifle. I believe the Classic Carbines only have extractors and not ejectors. Do the empties drop out or do you need to pluck them out? Most "long range" matches I see aren't really very long and are a speed contest. I had also thought of one of these for Plainsman and, again, speed is of the essence on the reloads.

I want to use it in a H&R Classic Carbine for moderately long range.
Jack, moderately long range alludes to me possibly out to 500yds. Based on experimentation, your 200gr bullet should be changed to the 300gr .454 Casull. Consistent accuracy will be obtained to the 300yd line and with a good set of eyes, out to 500 meters or yards.

As for the powder - recommend Titegroup or Red Dot from the loading tables. For black powder, load to the mouth with FFg

Pard;

I favor the 250 gr. and up for accuracy in the .45 Colt ,especially for ranges exceeding 100 Yards ....

My standard main match load using a 250 gr. RNFP bullet at 1,260 out of a 24 inch barrel does right fine out to about 250 yards or so .....

Jabez Cowboy

I've never had good luck with the 200 grainers in .45 Colt, and use either a 230 or 250 grainer with MUCH better accuracy results.

I'm gonna hazard to guess moderate long range is limited to 200-300 yards. You can do a fair job with a 250 at say 1250-1300 fps MV out of that gun. A 200 lacks the ability to retain velocity over that kinda range and isn't great bucking the wind.

Frankly, a fantastic bullet would be the 268 gr. "long ogive" .455 Webley bullet cast from the RCBS mold that copies the original, sized to .452. That would be a "cast your own" deal unless you found somebody on the cast bullets forums that casts them for sale.

Failing that, a nicely made 250 RNFP such as a laser cast or other quality bullet from a good mold will work. Beware bargain bullets made from worn out molds. They're fine for main match distances, but poorly cast bullets will wander at those kind of ranges.

Dave Scovil, Desighned a good bullet for this use it weighs between 270 - 285 depending on alloy used ....

They are availible pre-cast, just check around ....

The old "Keith" SWC works really well out to 600 yards ...

Jabez Cowboy

Archived