SASS Wire Forum

Merwin and Hubert

Goody, SASS #26190

Who knows anything about these? I know that Bill English used to do some really fine work on these, but he has retired from smithing.

I saw one in a shop a couple weeks ago, about a 6 inch barrel, nickle, 44 M&H caliber. I couldn't see very well in the dim pawn shop lighting, so couldn't really read the stampings. It might be one of the Spanish ones, I would certainly check it closer before buying. It seemed to funtion alright, but what do I know. :rolleyes: The main problem was it was very loose in lockup. When closed there was quite a bit of play between the barrel/cylinder group and the frame group. Can this be tightened up a might? Or is it just wore plum out? The price was attractive enough that I thought I would enquire.

Well, I don't know a lot, and I have slept since I last looked on of these over. :) I do own a couple, FWIW. It should not be loose in lockup, and a good example will exhibit suction when opened. In other words, when the barrel is released and pulled forward and released, you should be able to feel and see some degree of drawback. The M&Hs where built with very fine tolerances. That said, an M&H in 44 at a "attractive price" is worth picking up. As for restoring it, all it takes is money. Hope that helps! maybe some expert will stumble in here and provide more authoritative information. :)

If the barrel group has a lot of fore and aft play in the joints where it mates with the frame it is a good indication if was fired with smokeless powder and the frame has stretched. Welding and trying to recut those surfaces isn't cheap and then you have to figure out some way to take up the excess gap between the cylinder and barrel.

If the barrel group has a lot of fore and aft play in the joints where it mates with the frame it is a good indication if was fired with smokeless powder and the frame has stretched. Welding and trying to recut those surfaces isn't cheap and then you have to figure out some way to take up the excess gap between the cylinder and barrel.

That's pretty much what I'm afeared of. If I get a chance I'll go take another look, with a much more jaded eye. ;)

Archived