SASS Wire Forum

how many rounds will I need

MMJ#89586

Your best bet is to email the club you're going to and let them know it's your 1st match.They can tell you how many rounds of pistol & rifle as well as shotgun you'll need.Plus by letting them know,they can make sure you'll be posse'd up with some knowledgable shooters that will be more than willing to help you make your 1st time out a very SAFE and fun time.Typically for a 6 stage match,there's a minimum of 120 rounds for rifle and pistol and 24 shotgun.Those are minimum's you'd need.

If you shoot 6 stages, you will need about 60 for your rifle,60 for you pistols and 24 or a few more for your shotgun.Most stages call for 10 pistol,10 rifle and 4 + shotgun.If it is a big shoot their may be vendors but if it is just a club shoot most likey not.

Going to my first match next weekend and I'm not sure how many rounds I'll need. Also will there be vendors selling goods or is that uncommon?

Thanks

Mighty Mississippi Joe

Find stage count if you can. Otherwise, use 6 stages per day.

Pistol = stage count * 10

Rifle = stage count * 10

Shotgun = stage count * 5 (why 5? because of comstock makeups for misses)

If you shoot same rifle as pistol rounds, and there's six stages, you have 120 rifle/pistol rounds and 30 shotgun shells. Then take twice that in case something else comes up, like an extra stage for fun while the scorer is working.

Monthly matches almost never have a vendor. Annual matches might have one or two. State and Regionals have a few, if the match is well organized and well attended.

Good luck, have fun! GJ

You will need about 10 pistol, 10 rifle and 4+ shotgun shells per stage. A local match is usually 4 to 6 stages. Vendor situation will depend upon where you are planning to shoot. Let us know where you plan to shoot and someone will come up with the information you need.

Have fun,

Blackfoot

most scenarios consist of 10 rifle 10 pistol and 4 shotgun. That being said the devil who writes these things always throws in a loop when you don't expect it, so start with this per stage and add extra just in case. If I need 2 boxes for rifle and pistol I carry 3 if I need 1 box Shotshells I carry 2. Better to have little much than get miss cause I ran out of ammo.

like has already been mentioned count on at least 10 rifle + 10 pistol (maybe a couple more if a reload happens) + 4 (or more) shotgun per stage.

For a 5 stage match that would be 100 rounds of cartridges and 20 shotgun. However, it doesn;t hurt to bring an extra box of cartridges and an extra box of shotgun.

Most important too: HAVE FUN AND BE SAFE PARD!!!!

Looking forward to hearin' about your 'adventure' ;)

GG ~ :FlagAm:

Since yer gonna shoot again after the first match, bring at least 3 boxes of pistol/rifle (assumes yer pistol rifle are the same, if not, two boxes for pistol, two for rifle) and 2 boxes of shotshells. Whatever ya don't use gets ya started for next time.

I got so after a while I stashed a few boxes of pistol/rifle and a few boxes of shotshells in the truck and more or less forgot about em, just in case I cut it close on restocking the gun cart.

It's kinda nice to have a spare box of 12GA shells if some pard shows up and he's forgot his, or runs out halfway through the day because he forgot to restock his cart. They'll be more'n happy to reimburse ya (I'd just say "lunch is on you").....

Since you've gotten your answer above, I'll just say...

HAVE FUN!!!!

Plan to show up a few minutes before the stated registration time, that will leave you plenty of time to get to know some folks, sign up, and get the lay of the land. Tell them you are a new shooter when you sign in and they often will assign you a mentor who can give you some hints and tips before the match even starts.

Around these parts it registration starts at 8, the parking area is half full by then, and folks are milling around, visiting, and sometimes have stuff for sale laid out on picnic tables. If you have something you are looking for, ask around, chances are decent someone has what you need or knows someone who does.

Grizz

Many local matches also have a side match either before the main match or while waiting for the scores.

So take enough in case for that as well.

What might the side match be?

I just make it a habit to carry 200 shells to each match, 100 rifle and 100 pistol, and 2-3 boxes of Shotshells. Additionally, My loading blocks, (6), are fully loaded at home and stashed in the cart ready to go.

That way there is nothing that could come up that I wouldn't be prepared for, including loaning some ammo if neeeded.

RBK

Normally the side match is just a practice stage. So figure the same as for a normal stage.

Sometimes it will be a "speed run" with just one gun - such as a speed rifle, or speed pistol or speed shotgun. Depends on what the club wants to do that day - if they have a side match.

I like them as they give me another chance to shoot.

Other than a two stage black powder night shoot, everything I have ever shot has been a six stage affair. With that in mind and to simplify my cart and appearance at the loading table I invested in some "loading strips", specifically http://www.cowboyneeds.com/760.html and from all of the commercial ones these aren't too bad. Homemade ones are of course, even cheaper yet. I would buy one or two when I had a chance or ordering another piece of leather and kept doing so until I had six of them. It took me awhile to get six, but now that I have them, I have a whole match worth of loading strips! That way I preload the strips at home the night before the shoot (rifle and pistol are the same for me, 45 LC) and put them into my cart. I also load up ten rounds into my 45 LC loops in my shotshell belt and finish loading the belt with shotshells (about 20). So I have just about all my ammo needs in leather the night before. In addition to this I put a couple of boxes of 45 LC and of 12 ga in the cart for the reasons posted above. Most of the shotgun targets are "shoot until down". You'd be surprised at times just how many that sometimes adds up to (thus the need for extra shotgun ammo). Same with fumbling rifle ammo. Jack a live round and it's dead, you can't use it (until later of course). Squib loads, other misfires, etc. Anyway, doing it this way I'm always sure of taking enough ammo every time I head out to a match. Smithy.

All of 'em. ;)

Nope I ain't going to say it...just ain't going to do it...hard to keep back...but hell you probably already know about what most like a little of...but few likes a wise one :rolleyes:

Archived