SASS Wire Forum

Reloading data needed

Please do not post data here. Instead, please either PM me or email me. Email is preferred. Take out the spaces and use the @ symbol instead in place of the word "at." don at arrowgraphics. net.

Okay, here's the deal. I'm trying to help a new cowboy shooter get started reloading for cowboy using (if possible) the powders he used previously in other pistol reloading. He will be using a 125 grain bullet to load .38 Special and wishes to load in a manner that will minimize recoil, stays above the minimum power factor and remain safe.

Here are the powders he currently owns. If you use or have used any of these, please email me with the load data and if you know the FPS, please include that as well. Thanks folks!

VITAVOURI N350

VITAVOURI 3N37

HERCULES BULLSEYE

WINCHESTER SUPER LITE

WINCHESTER 571

WINCHESTER 231

WINCHESTER 540

WINCHESTER SUPER TARGET AA

ACCURATE # 7

Buck, wouldn't it be a better education for you and the new shooter to sit together in front of a computer and read the loading data for each of the powders listed to determine if they are recommended for the 125gr bullet? You'll not only determine the tested powder charge but also the velocity and the energy

I took a quick peek @ Vihtavuori's data: 3N37 - Nope and the N350 is listed but with heavier bullets. Don't believe you want to do some guesstimating for downloaded charges

For the Good of the Order - what's this fella believe minimum recoil should be? About the only way to determine what he wants in the recoil range is to look at the manufacturer's loading data and then do the recoil calculation. 'Minimum' is a nebulous word

'Minimum' is a nebulous word

"Minimum" was thrown in to avoid comments like "Gawdamighty, I shoot real man loads!" The new shooter and I live a good distance away from each other, but have both read loading data where it exists. Vitavavouri's website is an excellent example of a very poor web site, especially when you consider that they don't even have data for their new powder advertised in the current Cowboy Chronicle. They also tell you to go to longhunt.com for more data...where I found nothing. It gives little credibility to the idea of "if a load is not listed, there is no such thing as a safe load for that powder."

Essentially the reason I came here is because this forum is frequented by a whole passle of very knowledgeable folks. As long as a feller has the ability to use his head to sort through a little horse-hockey here and there, it can be mighty useful to be able to get the story straight from the horse's mouth. It reduces the learning curve.

FWIW, the "new shooter" owns a chronograph and beyond the fact that he had all these powders on hand, something that gave me a clue that he didn't just fall off the turnip truck regarding reloading was our discussion in which he was trying to decide whether to use his Square Deal B, his 650 or his 1050 for .38's. Let a calmness come over ya! :)

Send him to the gun shop for a jar of Tightgroup. Many of the listed powders become position and temperature sensitive at low volume.

Coffinmaker

He will be using Titegroup after he uses up what is usable. If it's not usable, he won't use it.

I use Titegroup and if he had had that powder, we wouldn't be here talking about it. When I first started CAS, I used Green Dot...that was bought and paid for.

Have to agree with CC, get a jar of Tightgroup, not very expensive and works great

All for now JD Trampas

P.S. I use TG with a 158 and quite a few friends use it with 125 with no problems, when I use it I'm at the upper end of the scale, also use it with 45LC which I mostly shoot

Archived