SASS Wire Forum

How gun-friendly is Frontier Airlines?

I'm going to be transporting a revolver on Frontier Airlines next week. I'm planning on printing out all the appropriate policies from the Web and having that stuff with me when I go. Has anybody dealt with Frontier regarding taking guns with them on trips?

All airlines have to abide by the TSA Specials Items regulations which includes firearms and ammunition ... http://www.tsa.gov/travelers/airtravel/assistant/editorial_1666.shtm

Frontier Airlines policy ... http://www.frontierairlines.com/frontier/plan-book/travel-info-services/baggage/equipment-firearms.do

It's not a hassle with any of the airlines traveling with guns & ammo IMO. You would be best to check the State firearms transportation laws that you are going to also.

Here's how firearms are checked at the airports in Great Britain ...

http://i222.photobucket.com/albums/dd220/Meadowmucker/HeavyDutyGunCheckers.jpg

Don't know about pro or anti-gun with Frontier Airlines. The last couple business trips I tried them out. Good airline with a decent price. This last trip we had several delays in Denver (their hometown)...when we boarded the plane they had cabin pressurization issues. After about 45 minutes waiting in the plane they got it fixed...only to have another system go down. After about an hour they had us disembark and go to another plane. They gave us a $50 voucher, free Direct TV (ya usually gotta pay the $7.99 fee), and they gave me my Bloody Mary for free.

Things happen, but they seem alright in my book - look forward to flying with them again.

Happy Air Travels :)

GG ~ :FlagAm:

I had a case containing three single action revolvers stolen from checked baggage in Phoenix, AZ once a few years ago.

We had a plane change there at PHX from Alaska Airlines to Frontier Airlines on to Denver DIA. The connection

with Frontier at PHX was missed due to the late arrival of Alaska into PHX, and we sat in the airport all night waiting for the next Frontier flight out to DIA the next morning.

Our bags had all been checked thru to DIA so we couldn't claim them and recheck them.

On arrival DIA the case with the revolvers was missing, not to be found anywhere. Frontier eventually

paid off my claim, but it took over three months and practically endless haggling with them to get it done.

At least they finally did admit fault to the baggage loss.

You pays yer money and you takes yer chances.

All airlines have to abide by the TSA Specials Items regulations which includes firearms and ammunition ... http://www.tsa.gov/t...orial_1666.shtm

Frontier Airlines policy ... http://www.frontiera...ent-firearms.do

It's not a hassle with any of the airlines traveling with guns & ammo IMO. You would be best to check the State firearms transportation laws that you are going to also.

Here's how firearms are checked at the airports in Great Britain ...

http://i222.photobuc...GunCheckers.jpg

Definitely check the individual air line policies.

While they all have to meet TSA regs, they are allowed to add their own in addition to that.

For example, many limit the number and type of guns you may put in one item of luggage. It was either American or Delta where I had rifle, shotgun and two pistols in the one case. Their rules said I could have up to 5 pistols in one case, but they did not want the long guns and pistols mixed. They almost didn't let me fly with them, but I got an exemption.

Pointing out TSA rules normally doesn't help as they are allowed to be stricter in their own rules.

I plan on printing out both Frontier's and TSA's policies and having them with me. This is a whole new experience for me, so I'm a little bit on edge about it.

Generally flying with guns is not a problem. If there is a problem it is usually a particular employee that hasn't read or doesn't understand the airline's own rules. Sort of like arguing about SASS rules with someone that hasn't read them in ten years, if ever.

Charlie,

I fly for business every week and have never taken my guns. The reason I'm posting is just to remind you about cancelled flights and layovers which in my experience happen all the time. There was a guy a couple of years ago who's flight got cancelled and had had an unscheduled overnight in NYC. He opted to claim his bags. Sometimes airlines force you to claim your bag for an overnight and sometimes you have to complain to get them. He got the bags, slept in a hotel, and then was arrested the next day when he tried to recheck his guns because he did not have the required NY permits. He got 2 years as I recall and I haven't followed his appeal.

So what I'm suggesting is that you make sure you know the laws at your connecting airport locations for if/when you get stranded.

Brasspounder, was this theft pre or post 9/11?

Willy

Don't use TSA locks on your gun case. They will have inspected it in your presence and there is NO need to open the case after that. If you are bringing ammunition, make sure to keep it in the factory boxes. While Frontier permits transport in secured magazines, you never know if you might get rerouted.

When flying, I carry my handguns in a small, locked case, INSIDE my primary suitcase. Ammo is in seperate boxs.

After inspection, the small case is locked, placed inside big suitcase. The big suitcase is then locked, and the locks tied shut with duct tape wrapped around the suitcase covering the locks.

Archived