SASS Wire Forum

Prince of Pistoleers

Bart Solo

The Prince of Pistoleers is in 10 days. I am signed up and anxious for it to start. This will be my first state match. I have a couple of questions, what did you do to prepare for your first big match? What would you do now to prepare for a state or bigger match?

Go over all your guns and check for loose screws. Check match ammo to be sure it chambers. In general, check all equipment, leather etc. You get the idea.

Practice transitions especially shotgun and pulling ammo.

Lots more but that is 95% of the important stuff.

Yep.

Make sure your guns are in good working order.

Check all your ammo. A high primer can kill a stage.

For most big matches I use new brass, or brass that I know has only been fired one time in my rifle.

A split case that hangs in your rifle. Can make you eat a whole bunch of misses.

I also use new shotgun shells at big matches. And I check them before hand to make sure they should

load good and easy. No burrs or bad edges that might keep them from falling in.

Clean your SG chambers in between stages. Dirty chambers can make a shell stick and could cost you

a MSV or time to clear it.

Make sure your glasses are good and clean. Dirty glasses makes it harder to see.

Be surprised how many are walking around with really dirty glasses.

Make darn sure you hydrate. Drink some water the night before. And make sure and drink before the match

as well as through out the match.

Being dehydrated will make you feel tired and your mind will not be as sharp.

STAY HYDRATED.

And of course GOOD pratice. Dry or with live ammo is always a good thing.

By the way. I am not doing any of the above for this match. :wacko:

It's not my State match. I am just going to have fun, and shoot with some friends.

But you bet I did it for Texas State.

Sure I forgot a bunch.

But!!!!

THE MAIN THING.

Have fun. :rolleyes:

Maybe we will be on the same posse.

Be nice to shoot with ya.

Yep.

Make sure your guns are in good working order.

Check all your ammo. A high primer can kill a stage.

For most big matches I use new brass, or brass that I know has only been fired one time in my rifle.

A split case that hangs in your rifle. Can make you eat a whole bunch of misses.

I also use new shotgun shells at big matches. And I check them before hand to make sure they should

load good and easy. No burrs or bad edges that might keep them from falling in.

Clean your SG chambers in between stages. Dirty chambers can make a shell stick and could cost you

a MSV or time to clear it.

Make sure your glasses are good and clean. Dirty glasses makes it harder to see.

Be surprised how many are walking around with really dirty glasses.

Make darn sure you hydrate. Drink some water the night before. And make sure and drink before the match

as well as through out the match.

Being dehydrated will make you feel tired and your mind will not be as sharp.

STAY HYDRATED.

And of course GOOD pratice. Dry or with live ammo is always a good thing.

By the way. I am not doing any of the above for this match. :wacko:

It's not my State match. I am just going to have fun, and shoot with some friends.

But you bet I did it for Texas State.

Sure I forgot a bunch.

But!!!!

THE MAIN THING.

Have fun. :rolleyes:

Maybe we will be on the same posse.

Be nice to shoot with ya.

I am looking forward to meeting you Al. I intend to have fun. That is the big reason I shoot and the only reason I dress up like a cowboy. :)

What Bull Skinner & Al said. Also, relax and don't get uptight about it. No one is gonna eat you, and everyone will help you along if you get off track.

As one philosopher of the plains said "slow down and you'll get a more harmonious outcome'.

Fingers (Show Me MO smoke) McGee

Have fun. When I first started I took this way to serious. Then I switched to the DARK SIDE and I've had more fun then you can imagine. But do run all ammo through your rifle and check to make sure there are no hangups. Also get your shooters hand book and look your stages over and make sure you understand your stages before you walk up to stage. But if you don't ask questions. It might be state but remember we are all here to just have fun. Something even I have to remember from time to time. But if you really want to have fun you need to come to the dark side.

Have fun

Deacon Stone

Please, please. Don't use the words water or hydrate when talking about the Prince of Pistoleers. We had 3.5 inches of hydration while trying to shoot the first morning last year. :wacko:

Also remember. You are there to have fun. Don't let the competition side of it get in the way of the fun.

Load lots of ammo.

Shoot the side matches before the main match, it will help you get acclimated to the range.

Make a checklist of what all you need to take with you, and triple check that before you leave, I dang near got off without my guns last year when I left for Comin at Cha. Had them staged in the garage ready to load, but still dang near forgot them.

Take lots of cash, the vendors appreciate your patronage.

Have fun, wish I was gonna be there.

Grizz

Be safe,relax and have fun :)

This is about the best advice yet.

I probably have a bigger ego than most, and yes I admit I would love to win my category, but the things I am looking forward to the most are the banter with my friends while we wait to shoot, taking my family to the banquet and introducing friends to the joys of Powers Gold Label Irish Whiskey, introducing my granddaughters to my shooting friends, and seeing if my new 1851s that I worked on all winter are up to the competition.

Bart, look me up when you get there. Let me admire your guns and I can show you mine.

The scores will take care of themselves.

J-Bar, I use different guns now, but I will be delighted to look you up. I am looking forward to the meet to see how Chancey and the gang set the steel and what new wrinkles they can throw at us. Mostly I am looking forward to having fun. I haven't felt this kind of anticipation since high school. That was a long time ago. A long time ago.

Bart, have fun pard, I look forward to every match, monthly or annual, the annuals a bit more though cuz I get to shoot more. And when there's a match nearby I can't go to, I get kinda cranky... big annual match starts tomorrow two hours from here, and I'll be at work and cranky... :D

It's like crack I tell ya, the smell of burning powder, the puff of black powder smoke, visiting with pards and seeing their guns, the beep of the timer, the bang and clang, whew, I'd better sit down. :D

Bart, have fun pard, I look forward to every match, monthly or annual, the annuals a bit more though cuz I get to shoot more. And when there's a match nearby I can't go to, I get kinda cranky... big annual match starts tomorrow two hours from here, and I'll be at work and cranky... :D

It's like crack I tell ya, the smell of burning powder, the puff of black powder smoke, visiting with pards and seeing their guns, the beep of the timer, the bang and clang, whew, I'd better sit down. :D

I will take your word about crack, but I too love the smell of burning powder, the ringing steel, visiting with pards, swapping stories, and the beep of the timer. Mostly I love the lack of real pressure. For once nobody's future is riding on my performance. I am just their to enjoy myself. That isn't to say I can't get excited when things go right. Last Saturday I shot my first clean match. Everybody at Powder Creek heard my yell. I surprised myself, but I wasn't embarrassed one little bit. What cowboy shooting means to me is a kind of innocent childlike joy I haven't experienced since I was a little kid.

JBar did you shoot at Parker a few weeks ago?

LOL, I have no real idea how addictive crack is except by the news reports. But it sounded good!

I still give a loud whoop and yeehaw when I finish the last stage of a clean match. Sometimes even just a clean stage... :D

Powder Creek in on my list of ranges I want to get to, my kin came out of Johnson county many moons ago and I have a bunch buried there. Used to spend summers splitting time between grandparents in Overland Park and Olathe.

Archived