SASS Wire Forum

Lassiter, Anyone Had a Drop Two on an 1887?

Smithy

I actually don't remember what it was that I did in the first place that initiated the whole thing. I remember posting my "wants" a couple of times but as of now, I don't have Lassiter's email or phone number. He called me! So how he got my number, I really don't remember/know. He talked about what he would do to my gun and that the tentative date was (in the future at the time of the call) last month on the 16th that he needed to have my gun and he gave me an address to ship the gun to. I did have the tracking number and all and it got there, may have been a day or two late of the 16th but close. I asked on the enclosed letter that he drop me an email when he got the gun. No email. My worst fears come to me. What if I got the address a bit off and the gun went to someone else? Woops and I say a BIG Woops. But I have no way of finding that out with no number or email to contact him?

So I get on the Wire to ask; What's normal business for Tom? Do you not hear from him till he's done usually? What's his usual turnaround for a drop two and a tune up/action job? I don't want to go into panic mode just yet and I don't really want to take away from Tom's busy schedule to answer my paranoid feelings with my calls or emails, but I am looking for a little warm and fuzzy from pards that have gone through it already. Thanks in advance. Smithy.

Smithy:

Going on faint memory, Lassiters email is:

Lassiter45@aol.com

Be sure to give him your phone number. He reads his emails but normally responds to them with phone calls.

Assuming he received your SG, you can be assured it is in GOOD hands.

..........Widder

Let me piggyback here, for info, also. What is his current back-up time running right now? Do I understand that he did not want the gun shipped until he was ready for it and notified you? I have a sick one that needs attention beyond just action work.

Let me piggyback here, for info, also. What is his current back-up time running right now? Do I understand that he did not want the gun shipped until he was ready for it and notified you? I have a sick one that needs attention beyond just action work.

Slowhand Bob, from the phone call and at that time the "future request" of my shotgun there was a little over a month and a half lag, if that's any help to you? I don't know if you could derive anything from that though. In other words, I don't know if he makes a habit of calling every customer exactly one and a half months before he plans on starting work on their guns if you know what I mean? The big tell all will be when I get my gun back of course, but I'm not in a big hurry as I have a serviceable SXS to get me by until it shows up. Smithy.

Actually it could be said that I am not in a big hurry either, this was one of the early shipments of CC Specials and it has never worked. I was just wanting to confirm that you contact him first to get on a list to be called in turn to ship. No telling how long it will take to find an adaquate box for shipping and decide best shipping method but guess Lassiter can make recommendations.

PS: I would like to get that phone number also.

Tom is reliable and good. He has done work for me in the past and he scheduled your gun rather than taking it and doing it when he can. If he says you are scheduled in July and to send the gun or meet him for pickup on a certain date, that's the way he does it and he generally is within a close window of returning it when he says. The only question I see is that you didn't transpose the address correctly.....if that's the issue I understand, but if you sent it to the correct address (the one provided) then you have no worries.

He's not in the practice of taking a gun before he can get to it.

KK

Slowhand Bob a PM's on the way. Smithy actually, scratch that. I tried and the computer said you couldn't receive any more messages as you had too many already, Sorry.

Lassiter did a Drop 2 Mod to my '87 last year. I spoke to him on the phone & he gave me a time frame to send it to him. It was a couple short months. When I sent it, he had it back to me in the promised time which was less than 2 weeks. He did an outstanding job. Price was very reasonable. He also spent time coaching me over the phone on how to make it work more efficiently. I did like he instructed me to & my times with it improved significantly. He is truely a fine gentleman.

That's the way with these really good smiths. They gotta keep working, (many of em work 16 hour days) to keep ahead of the backlog. Sooooo most of em don't have a lotta time when they are not either working or sleeping to do things like email. Some set aside a couple of hours a WEEK to answer phone calls. Patience.....

I assume you are referring to a an 1887. He did mine and I love it. It was an off the shelf model that I had traded for. One of the early ones that came by ship. Tom is a good person and a fine gunsmith. You gun is in good hands.

One thing to consider is that he is a one man shop. He shoots a lot of matches and things arrive all the time . Parts from here guns from there and over here. So to remember that this item needs to have and email sent out it probably like asking a news caster to repeat the line they read yesterday with out having it in front of them. The computer is probably not in the shop as they can be very dirty from the gun residues to metal filings. So the package goes to the shop mid day lets say, one of many. He logs it in his FFL Book. And goes back to what he was working on before the driver showed up. He remembers he's got to do a job on the gun and needs it out before he leaves for NM for EOT. He knows how long it will take him to do the job since he has done 100's of them so he puts it on his mental schedule to start on in a week and a half. So when he gets around to working on your gun you have called him or emailed him and the note is taken care of. I have worked in a Gunshop before and this is how things go. Individuals forget that one man may work on several hundred projects a month.

Hey guys, I feel really bad now. All of this whining on the Wire and I guess Tom got wind of some of it. Anyway, long story short, as soon as I got off the computer the phone rang and low and behold it was Tom on the other end. Boy was I embarrassed. I apologized for the Wire posting, but he is such a good natured fellow, he just took it in stride and said no problem. He was calling to let me know that my gun (the work that is) was complete and was slicker than grease through a goose (or something very similar). That was with dummies, so all that remained was a quick trip to his backyard range to pop a couple live rounds through it for the live fire testing and then he'd be shipping it off to me. Wow is all I can say. Time from initial inquiry to him getting back to me very short. Time from call to him receiving gun also short. Work on gun turnaround, shorter yet. I just can't wait to get her in my hands to try out the "new to me" drop two conversion and to see if I can pick up my times a bit. I love this shotgun and I think the Lassiter work is just what was needed. Smithy.

Lassiter's contact info can be found on the SASS Affiliated Merchants page.

His shop is "Tom's single action Shop" in Ohio

Lassiter's contact info

--Dawg

Hey guys, I feel really bad now. All of this whining on the Wire and I guess Tom got wind of some of it. Anyway, long story short, as soon as I got off the computer the phone rang and low and behold it was Tom on the other end. Boy was I embarrassed. I apologized for the Wire posting, but he is such a good natured fellow, he just took it in stride and said no problem. He was calling to let me know that my gun (the work that is) was complete and was slicker than grease through a goose (or something very similar). That was with dummies, so all that remained was a quick trip to his backyard range to pop a couple live rounds through it for the live fire testing and then he'd be shipping it off to me. Wow is all I can say. Time from initial inquiry to him getting back to me very short. Time from call to him receiving gun also short. Work on gun turnaround, shorter yet. I just can't wait to get her in my hands to try out the "new to me" drop two conversion and to see if I can pick up my times a bit. I love this shotgun and I think the Lassiter work is just what was needed. Smithy.

I've done it. I got a bit frantic with the first gun sent to a "name" smith and I couldn't raise him by email and his phone went straight to voice mail. Then one night about 9PM he called to say "I finished yer gun". He was busy WORKING ON my gun, so didn't have time to talk about it :)

Archived