SASS Wire Forum

Ruger Old Army Nipple Question

I'm having problems with the stock Ruger nipples and I'm wanting to switch to Ampco nipples and was wondering if anybody else is using them on there Ruger Old Army and what kind of results you are having? Will these nipples still take the Remington #10 caps or do I need to go up to #11. I'm need some help. I see other shooters shooting whole matches without having a cap not fireing. I know I have good caps. Any ideas? I can shoot a clean match with these guns if I can just get the damn caps to go off.

Deacon Stone

If by Ampco you mean Tresos, lots of people have switched to them, they work fantastic, and they work best with a Remington #10. That's the first thing a lot of C&B shooters do to new guns -- Tresos and Remington #10s. Eliminates most cap problems.

P.S. Try Remington #11s on the Ruger nipples, they will probably work better.

Deacon, If they're not going off, you probably aren't getting the cap seated well enough on the nipple. Like Pettifogger said, the Remington #11s will probably work better. They're shorter than the #10s and should seat better

Fingers (Why am I giving advice to the competition) McGee

PS, See ya next week at the Ks State/Prince of Pistoleers match

Actually they are going off. But there leaving a cut out green piece in the nipple hole. I can push them on with a stick and they clog the nipple. I pull the paper out put on another cap and it goes off. If I don't push them on really hard they seem to do better. There really is no riam or reason to why they either go boom or they go pop. Some times they even go pop-boom they have that slite delay. Oh well I'm trying.

Deacon Stone

C'mon Fingers! He needs no help!!!!!

All my Old Armies wear Treso nips and I use only Remington #10 -- 100% ignition.

I have NEVER had an ignition failure with this combo.

--Dawg

I fought with the originals and a variety of caps for a year or two. Went to Treso's and Remington #10's and all my problems went away!

Thanks for all the help. I've ordered them. They should be here in time for state. I hope. And for you NOZ; I LOVE YOU TO. I never heard back did you need me to load your shotgun shells. I guarentee they will have plenty of smoke :rolleyes: See you guys next week. Theres eight of us shooting Frontersman. It might be one of there biggest classes.

Deacon Stone

Actually they are going off. But there leaving a cut out green piece in the nipple hole. I can push them on with a stick and they clog the nipple. I pull the paper out put on another cap and it goes off. If I don't push them on really hard they seem to do better. There really is no riam or reason to why they either go boom or they go pop. Some times they even go pop-boom they have that slite delay. Oh well I'm trying.

Deacon Stone

I'm having a hard time visualizing how this can happen. You are saying they fire but leave some of the green compound in the nipple hole. When the gun fires there is hot gas going down the nipple hole and it will burn up anything in there. I can't see how any of the green compound can survive firing. Certainly nothing made out of paper can survive the blast. You say if you push them on with a stick they "clog" but if you don't push them on "really hard" they work better. Hopefully you aren't pushing them on so hard you are crushing the priming pellet? A properly fitted cap should slide onto the nipple and you can feel it when it seats. (Which is what you will get with Tresos and Remington 10s.) You should not have to push "really hard." I've fired tens of thousands of rounds out of my ROAs the past eight years and have had a total of precisely one misfire. That was in a driving rainstorm and the green compound got wet. When the hammer fell the green priming compound clogged the nipple flash hole and had to be cleared with a nipple pick before it would fire again. However, I have never seen any green compound survive a firing.

I'm having a hard time visualizing how this can happen. You are saying they fire but leave some of the green compound in the nipple hole. When the gun fires there is hot gas going down the nipple hole and it will burn up anything in there. I can't see how any of the green compound can survive firing. Certainly nothing made out of paper can survive the blast. You say if you push them on with a stick they "clog" but if you don't push them on "really hard" they work better. Hopefully you aren't pushing them on so hard you are crushing the priming pellet? A properly fitted cap should slide onto the nipple and you can feel it when it seats. (Which is what you will get with Tresos and Remington 10s.) You should not have to push "really hard." I've fired tens of thousands of rounds out of my ROAs the past eight years and have had a total of precisely one misfire. That was in a driving rainstorm and the green compound got wet. When the hammer fell the green priming compound clogged the nipple flash hole and had to be cleared with a nipple pick before it would fire again. However, I have never seen any green compound survive a firing.

+1

Deacon, you brute! Stop pushing so hard!!

Thanks for all the help. I've ordered them. They should be here in time for state. I hope. And for you NOZ; I LOVE YOU TO. I never heard back did you need me to load your shotgun shells. I guarentee they will have plenty of smoke :rolleyes: See you guys next week. Theres eight of us shooting Frontersman. It might be one of there biggest classes.

Deacon Stone

Yeeeeee Haaaaaaaw, eight Frontiersmen. There'll be a smokey time at Powder Creek. Maybe we can fill all the stages with smoke so everyone will have to use laser guided bullets :lol: Ya know, I've never come in eighth before :P

Fingers (Show Me MO smoke) McGee

I'm having problems with the stock Ruger nipples and I'm wanting to switch to Ampco nipples and was wondering if anybody else is using them on there Ruger Old Army and what kind of results you are having? Will these nipples still take the Remington #10 caps or do I need to go up to #11. I'm need some help. I see other shooters shooting whole matches without having a cap not fireing. I know I have good caps. Any ideas? I can shoot a clean match with these guns if I can just get the damn caps to go off.

Deacon Stone

I have had realy good performace from my stock Ruger nipples and Remington #10 caps for several years now. I tried #11 caps once and found they didn't work as well as the #10s. Have you changed any springs or other parts of the gun?

Deacon, if you are the only Kansas boy shooting then you got a solid lock on the State Championships.

I went on a loading frenzy back in the winter and have enough 44-40 and 12 ga to last this entire year. Shotguns are loaded with your shot!

If there are 8 of us than I have no choice but to P%2%&8Ce a little.

My biggest problem any more is I get to having too much fun and forget what I'm supposed to be doing! A handful of Ps doesn't make for a high ranking result.

6 and a wakeup.

Deacon, if you are the only Kansas boy shooting then you got a solid lock on the State Championships.

I went on a loading frenzy back in the winter and have enough 44-40 and 12 ga to last this entire year. Shotguns are loaded with your shot!

If there are 8 of us than I have no choice but to P%2%&8Ce a little.

My biggest problem any more is I get to having too much fun and forget what I'm supposed to be doing! A handful of Ps doesn't make for a high ranking result.

6 and a wakeup.

I'm planning on giving my 1851s another shakedown at TOP this Saturday. If they behave, they go to Lenexa. If not, my ROAs will take on Deacon's!

I shot a pair of 5-1/2 bbl fixed sighted SS ROA's for five years (2004-2008) in Frontiersman. I've got a pair of WR Top Ten belt buckles as a result, and some other neat Frontiersman plaques on my wall behind me.

My ROA's were box stock and I never changed out the stock nipples. I always used CCI No. 11 Magnum percussion caps, and seated them with a hardwood dowel onto the nipples at the loading table. In five years I may have had 5-6 FTF's. I also used Hornady swaged .457 round balls, Wonder Wads, and a full load of Goex FFFg blackpowder.

You can see them in action here:

Chicken Coop

Guest Tennessee Stud, SASS# 43634 Life

I also used Hornady swaged .457 round balls, Wonder Wads, and a full load of Goex FFFg blackpowder.

Chicken Coop

Good shootin', there... Coop...

Looks to me like .457 round balls ain't all you used.... noticed that there is a 90mm cannon ball hangin' off'n yore arm...

Ever time I shoot with cannon balls hangin' off of various body parts on me... it almost distracts my shootin'.

ts

I only use Remington #11 caps, but I order only #11 nipples. My son-in-law ordered a case of caps and when he got them several of the priming discs were lose in the cap and they caused several FTF or just a low pop and sometimes it was like a flash pan then the bang. Try some new caps. I will say that #10's don't work on the nipples that came on my guns they were just a tad to tight.

Archived