SASS Wire Forum

springfield trapdoor

evil dogooder

Local gun store has an original. Exterior a little beat up but the bore is mirror smooth for a good price(based off gunbroker auctions)

Anyway I'm thinking of getting it for side matches. What should I look for that would indicate I should pass on it.

Thanks

Evil dogooder

Local gun store has an original. Exterior a little beat up but the bore is mirror smooth for a good price(based off gunbroker auctions)

Anyway I'm thinking of getting it for side matches. What should I look for that would indicate I should pass on it.

Thanks

Evil dogooder

If the breechblock is tight and it is in shooting condition and the price is right, buy it!

Trapdoor Springfield rifles are a hoot to shoot with original BP loads.

They shoot well even if the bore is not perfect. I watched a guy shooting one whip

the pants off a bunch of fancy Sharps and Winchester falling block rifles at a Buffalo shoot

once...They WILL "make 'em come".....'way out there.

Style points are good too in Plainsman side matches, even if they won't keep up with the

"handi rifles" which IMO should never have been allowed there in the first place.

Bp

If the breechblock is tight and it is in shooting condition and the price is right, buy it!

Trapdoor Springfield rifles are a hoot to shoot with original BP loads.

They shoot well even if the bore is not perfect. I watched a guy shooting one whip

the pants off a bunch of fancy Sharps and Winchester falling block rifles at a Buffalo shoot

once...They WILL "make 'em come".....'way out there.

Style points are good too in Plainsman side matches, even if they won't keep up with the

"handi rifles" which IMO should never have been allowed there in the first place.

Bp

Hold on there Pard,

I have beat a few Handi Rifle guys shooting my H&R Trapdoor Officer Model. Not many but a few. They had a bad day I had a good day. To win all ya have to do is shoot the rest of the guns REAL FAST :P

The Trapdoor is a real fun rifle, go for it.

Wyandot

So Evil... which model is it...?

I've always been kinda partial to the 1884 edition, just 'cuz of the really neat Buffington rear sight. :rolleyes:

But heck... they're ALL cool~!! ^_^

I have an original 73 trapdoor I love the thing, the only thing I have a problem with is seeing the numbers on the side of the sight for elevation (bad eyes). I was shooting 6" groups at 500 yards, only paid $400. for it

So Evil... which model is it...?

I've always been kinda partial to the 1884 edition, just 'cuz of the really neat Buffington rear sight. :rolleyes:

But heck... they're ALL cool~!! ^_^

I'm not sure about the model it has 1884 stamped on it and its sight looks like the xc one in your link. All parts lock up tight. I was told it has the bayonet cleaning rod and was showedhow it worked. Pretty cool.

What kinda ammo is safe to fire in these

Evil

What kinda ammo is safe to fire in these

The 500gr (Lyman 457125) bullet and 70grs of FFg will get you out to 1000 yds. Mine does. In fact the rifle with the 500gr bullet was shot 2 miles at the Sandy Hook Trials. Only hit the 6' x 6' bullseye a few times but proved the 1873 would shoot. The elevation was calculated in degrees - not minutes of angle!

http://www.researchpress.co.uk/longrange/sandyhook.htm

Mine likes the 405g bullet better then the 500g bullet, I wish i had a 1000 yard target range

Archived