SASS Wire Forum

Favorite Smoked meat recipes

Doc Windshadow

After a bit of thought I decided it was poor form to barge in on the fine RIBS thread with my post on a standing rib roast of pork and thought that perhaps it was time for a more general smoked meat meal recipe thread where we could share our best efforts;

I will Start it off with said Standing Rib Roast of smoked pork:

Oink! OINK! I love Smoked OINK in all of its forms

:P:):lol:

one of my favorites for a holiday party is the rib end Standing smokedPork loin roast about 6 to 8 lbs convection roast over Hard cider lightly infused with slivers of garlic along the backbone. dusted with lemon pepper any parts of the smoked surface that are exposed sealed with Dijon mustard Thick slices of hard apple held on with tooth picks and that same with slices of lemon

In the cider ( I like a dry hard cider there are some good ones from VT and NH or the English imports are also easy to find)about 20 to 30 Oz) a parsnip or 2 a thick sliced potato a few shallots a Carrot or 2. cook in a preheated 325 convection oven for 15 to 20 min a lb (the smoked meat is of course considered pre cooked)

Remove and let stand while you make the sauce;

separate out most of the fat from the drippings and cider and take the parsnips and carrots potatoes etc out and put on a plat in a keep warm oven to be served as braised veg with the meat ( I use a neat separator measuring cup like this http://www.amazon.com/Gravy-Fat-Separator-Measuring-Cup/dp/B001TAKBSG/ if you like to make gravy and sauces this removes on of the major hassles)

place in a large pan to reduce (depending on the roasting pan you used I just use the roasting pan) deglaze the brown bits in the pan with something good (I tend to use rainwater Madeira ) and pour the flavored cider back in the pan and use some Wondra to pick up any remaining fat and whisk it in (add extra wondra to reserved fat to make a thicker gravy) and keep whisking over heat to reduce to desired thickness and stir in red current jelly to correct the flavor if it is too sharp for your family this should take about 15 to 20 min which is a good standing time before you carve the roast. serve with the gravy/sauce and I use home made Macintosh applesauce as well each serving should get one of the thick slices of apple that cooked on the roast as a garnish...

Enjoy (Note that in many parts of country you now have to order this cut of smoked pork and only prepackaged smoked pork chops are on offer these days and they can be hard to cook without drying them out as they are so thin (they do make a good sandwich cold on toast though)

Our method works best when you plan ahead and take two days to fully prepare.

We start with a 4-5 pound pork roast, soak it overnight in a solution of water, salt, & molasses.

Next morning, coat the roast with a brown sugar & spice mix and put it in the smoker with hickory chips on med-hi for 6 hours - no peeking.

Take out of smoker and wrap tightly in aluminum foil, place in fridge.

The next day, take out of fridge and place in oven for 4 more hours (or so) at 300°F.

Take out of oven & pull it apart with a fork.

Just got me a new smoker a week or so ago and after I got it cured, wife brought home a real nice whole chicken. Last Saturday fired it up and put the chicken in @ 175 for 1 hr and then finished it on the spit on the BBQ. Did not add any spices, just the chicken, smoke and cook.

Was great.

This weekend I will get out some porkchops from the wild hog I shot in Texas last fall and do them the same way. Then some trout. Me thinks the smoker will get a workout this summer :DB)

Well, it aint pork, by no means, but it shore tastes like it...........BEAR !!!

Take bout 3# of bear meat and soak da meat in brine....( salt and water)

Dry it off carefully and hang in smoke house fer a month or two.

(In case no smokehouse handly, smoke it slowly in a water smoker wif mis-keet chucks)

When cured, take it down and slice thin

Fry it crisp and it tastes just like pork bacon.

(Grandmaw's recipe)

Wow you all smoke your own meat :excl: I am impressed

While I truly love smoked Pork I have never tried to smoke my own fresh pork... What is the best sort of gear for one new to it and what method is recommended?

I Like the taste of commercial Applewood and cob smoked best with Hickory a close 3rd but commercial smoking is done over weeks or months of time which is hardly practical for a small smokerAnd no I can not afford to build a real old fashioned smoke house and provide it the needed 24/7 staffing to keep the smoke density at just the right density and temperature. my goal would be to smoke my favorite cut the standing rib roast with its thicker section I would expect it to be harder to smoke than say a slab of bacon it this the case

Cheers

Windy

The 2 ways to smoke (meat, vegetables, etc)that I am familiar with are hot & cold smoke. Cold smoke requires the long, multi day process and a special built smokehouse. If you are familiar with "Virginia Smoked" ham, it is usually done over weeks using this method.

I use the hot method which heat & smoke are used to process the meat. It takes a lot less time. I use a commercially made smoker (there are lots of them), Masterbuilt where I can control the time and temp of the process, mine is electric. I add the chips/sawdust (apple, hickory, mesquite or similiar HARDWOOD), set the time & temp after I prepared the meat. Different brines, spices or rubs will give the meat different flavors in addition to the smoke. There are hundreds of recipes. It's not hard, just start experimenting.

I have had a smoker for several years now. Love to smoke tri-tips and ribs.

I use the indirect heat method. I put a water bowl in the center of my barrel shaped smoker, add a fifth of cheap bourbon to the water. I then light the coals or hardwood charcoal, if I can find it on sale, that I have placed on either side of the water bowl. When the coals begin to ash, I throw on the Apple, Pecan or Alder wood chunks, depending on the meat, that have soaked in water overnight. The coals against the sides of the water bowl generate enough heat to bring it close to the boiling point. That causes the Bourbon to rise with the steam and mix with the smoke for a really incredible flavor. I then place the meat on a rack above the water bowl. {The meat has cured over night in the fridge in a mixture of apple vinegar drizzle with a brown sugar spiced rub.} I shut the lid and watch the temperature. When the meat reaches the desired temperature, I pull it off and let it rest for 5 minutes or so while I'm grilling the ears of corn. I then slice the meat, serve it with the sauces and grilled corn and watch it all disappear.....

Archived